It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$600 a week not to work ! Grrrr

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Are they out of their minds? That’s around three times the amount of money the unemployed would’ve normally received on unemployment and for most more they would see weekly in their check if working.

I’ve talked with a few people receiving it and they don’t want to go back to work. Because for them it’s a loss.

They’re now talking about extending it to the end of January. (convenient timing) To me that’s considered long-term and I’m not even OK with it short term. Why do they need the bonus now ? People survived on unemployment before covid 19. (I know it was tight)

All this amounts to is a bribe by the Democrats to keep the country closed. Does anybody remember when AOC said people should “boycott going back to work” ?

That was a slip on her part she already knew the plans.

The destruction of the economy has been their goal all along .

The Republicans don’t really have a choice. The democrats platform of “free stuff” has gotten a nitrous oxide boost. Everybody wants “free stuff”. Especially when it’s “free cash”.

There’s one way I would approve of that kind of money being thrown around. (Wait approve is too strong of a word. I mean barely tolerate it).

In every state I know if someone is on unemployment and turns down a job. They lose their benefits

So that must be watched like a hawk.

Hire a army of inspectors(not on unemployment) to check their claims and prove they are seeking work.

Maybe giving employers a bonus if they report people who refuse to come back to their job.

This underhanded tactic. Will sink the economy. So somethings got to be done.

The fly in the tapioca about all this. Is that either way the Democrats win on this issue. The White House and the Republicans for the most part are against this.

But if the Republicans take a stand they’re taking money out of the publics hands. So the Democrats win.

If the Republicans are forced into extending this program until the end of January. The Democrats win because people don’t want to go back to work. And they’ve shut the economy down until just after the election.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce on a call with reporters on Thursday said an extension of the extra $600 weekly benefit for jobless workers would be a mistake.

Although the White House is against the extension. They can’t rule it out because of this dilemma.

“It’s important that the unemployment system continue to be designed in a way that encourages and supports people getting back to work and into a job,” said Neil Bradley, chamber vice president and chief policy officer.
A White House official, in an email to McClatchy, wouldn’t rule out an extension in future relief legislation, but said, “The White House is currently opposed to an extension beyond the current end date.”

The Democrats want to kill America

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Holy cow, that's ridiculous. I always thought it was sad that people would live off the government dole prior to this, but now it's being actively encouraged and it's far more profitable to boot.

Up here in Alberta, I'm actually making more at my just above min. wage job than I'd be receiving if I went onto the Covid government relief checks. That fact alone scares me as I'd be in serious trouble if for some reason I have to go into isolation or forced am to stay home.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

"The Republicans don't really have a choice". Really? Republicans control the Presidency AND the Senate. They most certainly DO have a choice.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well, for the moment, it's a NAY.

Let us see where this goes, but I am against it, we need to get back to work while practicing sound Social Distancing measures.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   

My former employees are actually drawing $1,218 a week (North Dakota), half of it tax-free.

Now, that is about 75% of what they made employed...

They have also waived the requirement to look for employment for who knows how long.

However, the oil field is probably toast till about 2023...

And if they find work elsewhere in Montana they will be taking a further 70% pay cut to do it.

So it's not as black and white as it seems...

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

It’s all about optics .

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

It’s a matter of lifestyle. Jobs in the oil field were some of the best paying jobs in the country .

But nothing last forever.

It’s a bitch when you have to take a pay cut to find another job. But people were working that same job before One of your guys took one .

The job requirement being dropped was because there weren’t any jobs in the country . When (if) we start opening back up there will be .

If the price of oil would’ve dropped to where it is now without the pandemic . They would’ve been in the same boat .

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: Lumenari

It’s a matter of lifestyle. Jobs in the oil field were some of the best paying jobs in the country .

But nothing last forever.

It’s a bitch when you have to take a pay cut to find another job. But people were working that same job before One of your guys took one .

The job requirement being dropped was because there weren’t any jobs in the country . When (if) we start opening back up there will be .

If the price of oil would’ve dropped to where it is now without the pandemic . They would’ve been in the same boat .

I told everyone when they hired in that the oilfield is feast or famine and if you were smart, you would pay off all your bills, put 10% of every check in the bank until you can afford to put 50% in every time and just plan on the business collapsing at any time because it is politically driven.

However, you still have those that will pick up a 500k house payment, a Harley payment and of course, that new bass boat that looks so well behind your new Raptor.

And there will be no new jobs out there for a few years for anyone to take.

So I understand exactly where you are coming from.

Just saying that for some, it isn't that black and white.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   

There will be a time when the well is dry and these people will regret not actually looking for work, or staying at work.

This is a very temporary.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It's definitely a sticky wicket, the problem being the shutdown didn't just pause some businesses it obliterated them. My industry and business supported up to 5 families kids grandkids niece and nephews for 40 plus years, even if we reopened to our best days weeks and months ever I wouldn't see the bulk of our income till September or October. Am I supposed to exist on loans and already maxed out credit cards till then. I'm as against it as anybody but my $1300 stimulus is long gone and we will need more of a cash influx just to survive much less get the business back going. I know we aren't alone but being in our 50's its kind of hard to start totally over in a new industry, especially without giving the old one a chance to come back.

Not to mention the inequity in arbitrarily sending $1300, that spends differently in high-cost areas as opposed to rural areas, $1300 in some rural areas you are living high on the hog, while in the city it's eaten up fairly quickly. It's a mess no doubt but dammit this money does mostly go right back into the economy, it keeps food on the table and might keep a small business or 2 solvent for a few more weeks, better than having more people in a soup line for now.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The Republicans don’t really have a choice. The democrats platform of “free stuff” has gotten a nitrous oxide boost. Everybody wants “free stuff”. Especially when it’s “free cash”.

Today I learned that my tax dollars coming back to me instead of going into a corporation or politicians pocket is “free stuff”.

Maybe the bigger issue here is that the earning potential from jobs has stagnated so much that $600 a week is enough to keep people from going back to work. But addressing that isn’t exactly Republican friendly.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Are they out of their minds? That’s around three times the amount of money the unemployed would’ve normally received on unemployment and for most more they would see weekly in their check if working.

I believe Michigan's max UI is $332/wk. That's what I was getting when I got laid off in 2018. That's not a livable amount if your rent or mortgage is a grand a month. They do take taxes out of that money so you're left with under $1200 a month.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

LOL ... $600 per unemployed person a week going straight into the local economy: Bad.

$500 Billion going straight into off-shore, tax-free investments for corporations and fat-cats: Good.

Can't make this up: behold conservatism 2020!
edit on 23-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think you're forgetting that if they refuse to return to their jobs, they become ineligible to receive unemployment. I'd hope people are not thinking they can get away with that. Their former employer calls them back, they can refuse, but they can't keep getting the money.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   

We're spending 2.3 trillion $ on the F-35.

I don't need to say anything else except - if y'all are going to burn all the Treasury please give me some of that dough first.

My ancestors fought in every war since the revolution, that's my wealth y'all are burning.

So gimme a stack quick style.

Not much times left before it's all gone so quickly before all the foreigners and liberals steal it. Hook a Real American up so I can get a ride off this sinking ship, lol.

I'm going to fill out an unemployment claim right now! Really I am.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm losing about $300 a week being back at work compared to what I was "making" for the six weeks I was off, but my employer thinking he was doing right by his employees took out one of those fancy government loans that he won't have to repay if he has his employees back at work so almost all of us are back.

This was either a well designed epic fail by the government to breed descent and infighting of sheer lack of foresight. Considering how quickly everything was implemented I'm going with the former and not the latter.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite
not during the election year they don't. The Global Engagement Center media working with whats left but very effective of the Cabal's intel agencies will be using their AI bots to saturate social media and the airwaves with lies that the President wants everyone to be poor, when everyone would actually be fine once they end this planned psychological operation known as Covert Op Viral Intel Deception.

Forget jail time, I literally just want some of these governors and circus clown reps disappear without a trace. "Nobody knows where they went or what happened to them..."

at this point, that is what I want to hear about the enemies of liberty.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Hire a army of inspectors(not on unemployment) to check their claims and prove they are seeking work.

Maybe giving employers a bonus if they report people who refuse to come back to their job.

]

Do what ?? How about set up a replica stasi as well , to go about checking no one's enjoying themselves ?
For a republican you're sure recommending some communist assed ideas .
For Ze Economy comrades !

Lemme guess you're one of those that lost out big time on the stock crash

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well unemployment only goes for 26 weeks. If this lockdown lasts longer, we who lost our low-paying jobs will be left with our dicks in our hands and a job market sp flooded with those seeking employment that competition will be brutal.

Most won't have a job to even return to. They'll have to go from the increased pay of long-term employment to being at the bottom rung of a job that will, in all likelihood, pay out MUCH less than the old job. And these people have families to feed... difficult to do at $10 an hour. Even with OT, which will be impossible to get for most.

As always...

DENY IGNORANCE

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   

In Kentucky maximum weekly unemployment benefits are $552 per week. Add federal government stimulus money of $600 per week to that and it is $1152 per week. On top of that they are approving food stamps and Medicaid for everyone with food stamp benefits being double the normal amount. So that's $5184 (at max) per month (based on 4.5 weeks per month), plus free medical and free food- just for sitting at home.

And then the government acts surprised when people who are getting this don't want to return to work and act even more surprised that people who have been working the whole time for less are pissed off about it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join