It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priest: Mr. President, we don't need to open churches to practice our faith

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gryphon66

Oh, you can absolutely quote it. The pharisees did that all the time. They were expert legalists. The problem is that all they had was the letter of the law. It rather loses it's magic without the spirit, however.

LOL ... now that's at least a counterargument.

Legalism, in the terms you're using it, usually means that I'm focusing on the laws of the Bible and you and yours are focusing on something else? What?

The SPIRIT? So, your argument, not unlike that of the historical Roman Catholic Church, is that I can't know what the special secret magic meaning of the Bible is without the secret decoder ring of your special kind of faith?

God, and I thought the other one was arrogant.

Ketsuko, all due respect. I have provided the simple Word of God. Multiple times. Multiple books. Multiple authors.

But only that. I haven't "interpreted" it even once. That's because, rather like the US Constitution, if your Book has any real value, its not in some magical BS manipulation that only a special group has (perhaps like you) that think you can interpret what it says where I and the rest of the sinners cannot.

The Bible, at least in these passages provided, is crystal clear. It's simple plain speech. It does not require belief to understand it.

But even so, I have done NOTHING here except quote it, and remind you that I've quoted it. You are the one who is claiming some special knowedge, just like you want special treatment in the matter of the churches opening.

You cannot explain why you stand against repeated admonitions from the Scripture to obey the government. Your argument turned on these shrieking political tirades not being brought down-to-earth to the simple, clear straightforward TRUTH of the BIble, the Constitution, and settled legal precedent.

I seem to know your Book better than you do. I'm sure that's embarrassing.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   

So what was the point of the whole episode where Christ was questioned by the pharisees about the adulterous woman? Or I suggest Mark 7 for an answer.

edit on 26-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So what was the point of the whole episode where Christ was questioned by the pharisees about the adulterous woman? Or I suggest Mark 7 for an answer.

I'll certainly answer briefly in good faith. You want to use Mark 7? Sure.

I believe that based on what I read, Jesus provided the answer to your question:

5 So the Pharisees and teachers of the law asked Jesus, “Why don’t your disciples live according to the tradition of the elders instead of eating their food with defiled hands?”

6 He replied, “Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you hypocrites; as it is written:

“‘These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
7 They worship me in vain;
their teachings are merely human rules.’

8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

Particularly the last part.

In regard to the woman in the story specifically? She asked for her child to be healed, and Jesus after seeing her faith, told her the child was healed.

I'm not going to interpret the Bible, Ketsuko, that's not my forte, nor is it the topic.

I am able to quote it and understand what it says in plain language.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If by "the woman taken in adultery" you mean in John 8?

The focus is generally thought to be here:

7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Well, that is a toughy isn't it?

If Jesus is God, and God created the law, then God can decide when to apply the law and when not.

Humans like you and me, however, IF the Bible is the inspired Word of God as so many claim, then WE have to go with what it says.

Also, in terms of Jewish Law (ala the Torah, etc.) if there are no accusers there is no crime.

edit on 26-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
IN both cases, taking just what is there in the text, we see that The Bible tells you that you should attend to the word of God, not to man-made traditions ... like for example, gathering in a certain place at a certain time on a certain day.

In the case of the woman specifically, the plain message of the text seems to be that Jesus wasn't going to punish the woman for her adultery. He suggested that she go back to her life and obey the law.

Both examples, point back to the texts that I inserted here ... Obey. Obey the Bible, Obey the Government.

That's one of the main reasons I cannot be a adherent of your religion, Ketsuko.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
TL; DR: A general "stay at home" order does not contravene the Free Exercise clause because it doesn't effect a restriction on "just religion."

edit on 26-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Opening churches is about pastors wanting money and literally nothing else. Pretending that religious ceremony is an essential service is a complete joke. How often do you hear Christians say that it's about a personal relationship with Jesus and not the religion, but then suddenly turn around and claim they NEED to go to church to worship an omnipresent being. Even in the gospel, Jesus said to pray in PRIVATE and not be a hypocrite and pray to be seen. Church ceremonies = $$$ and unfortunately that is the real god of the Christian conservatives.

Anyhow, my position is that the churches should be allowed to open. I know that seems strange considering what I just said, but it's for the greater good in the long run. See, it's called natural selection. Dumb people who deny science will still go to church and get sick and become part of the very thing they swear is a hoax (evolution/natural selection). The smarter religious folk will survive. That is good because there is a lot of dead weight there.

Worshiping / praying does not change the laws of physics or chemistry. It does not protect you from stupidity. In fact, if I'm God in that situation, I'm sending you straight to hell for suicide if you die like that, not to mention endangering the lives of others at the same time.

edit on 5 26 20 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
TL; DR: A general "stay at home" order does not contravene the Free Exercise clause because it doesn't effect a restriction on "just religion."

Bingo! Going to church is not a right. Freedom of religion means laws can't be made that favor one religion over another and there can't be consequences for choosing / not choosing a certain religion. People don't seem to grasp that. Governors have every right to shut down businesses during a national / state emergency. You can still believe what you want, but your pursuit of happiness ends the second it puts other people in danger.

edit on 5 26 20 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Translation: idgaf about anyone else.

Also your lone example is the equivalent of people saying "my nan smoked all her life and lived to be 92! "

People like you are why we have to make draconian rules in times of crisis. Silly little boy.

originally posted by: dantanna
lmfao.

look here is how it works.

1. you want to stay home, STAY HOME.
2. you want to live life, LIVE LIFE.

the politicianns, media, internatiionalists, etc do not need to tell us how to live or worse yet, make laws doing so.

i do not need the newz to 'verify' my course of actions.
i do not need a priest to 'verify' my choices either.

it seems you want to stay home, good for you, stay home.

imagine if i had the power of the internationnalist media, and i told you you had to go out everyday, never go home.

as for me, i go out EVERYDAY, and i am healthy. i only wear a mask because the retarded stores in nj are following the phantom menace laws.

my dad got some kind of virus, messed him up. my bro hung out with him in a small 3 bedroom apt in brooklyn for 2 weeks, to make sure he was ok. my brother and my mom never got it, even tho they had to stay in that apartment to look after my dad.

again, stay home if you want to.
me, i want NO media, no newz, no politiciians, and for damn sure, no internnationalists telling me to stay home or go out or do anything. i want to live free.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: ErEhWoN

The Catholic church is not the authority of Christianity. They have nothing to do with protestants. Catholics and Christianity are oil and water.

Catholics bows to the babylonian queen of heaven.
Christianity Follows Yahshua and the ten commandments. Baptism is under water in the ocean.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SoulSurfer

That's what most people just don't seem to get: there is no man on earth who is the authority in Christianity. Priests, preachers, rabbis... even the Pope... they are ministers, not overlords. Their role is to minister, to help, and by doing so to guide the faithful through the trials of life and bring the lost into the fold. God Himself, Yahweh, I AM THAT I AM, is the only authority... no one else. Even Jesus is not the authority in Christianity. Jesus is our example to follow as best we can.

That is what makes a denier of the faith trying to twist the words from the Bible so offensive. They are not just "repeating words"... they are claiming to be God Himself, even if they do not realize it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

You are simply wrong

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Well...
Explain to me then just how most states have banned ritual snake handling then.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

That is wrong as well.

And I do not handle snakes. I have this thing against playing with my food. But it is still a violation of the First Amendment to ban it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: shooterbrody

Well...
Explain to me then just how most states have banned ritual snake handling then.

What "bans"?
What states?

posted on May, 30 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
And...
It seems that the supreme court acknowledges the power of the govt to infringe on the freedom of religion when it comes to this situation...

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join