It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priest: Mr. President, we don't need to open churches to practice our faith

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Of course, it occurs to me if there really are no abuses of the First Amendment by state and local authorities anywhere in this country, then you are merely whining because the president announced that he intended to uphold the freedom of religion clause in the first amendment because there had been numerous complaints filed to the DoJ.

And we are actually only arguing a hypothetical.

I still wonders why the thought of people gathering in a socially distanced sanctuary to worship upsets you all so much when we are now allowing people to go back to restaurants and eat food prepared in person by cooks, go to bars and get drunk, by pot, movie theaters are opening, beaches are open (my bad, that one ticks y'all off too), kids are getting their youth league sports underway, people are going back to work, etc.

But for some reason, the idea that are also heading back to church seems uniquely threatening.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Of course, it occurs to me if there really are no abuses of the First Amendment by state and local authorities anywhere in this country, then you are merely whining because the president announced that he intended to uphold the freedom of religion clause in the first amendment because there had been numerous complaints filed to the DoJ.

And we are actually only arguing a hypothetical.

I still wonders why the thought of people gathering in a socially distanced sanctuary to worship upsets you all so much when we are now allowing people to go back to restaurants and eat food prepared in person by cooks, go to bars and get drunk, by pot, movie theaters are opening, beaches are open (my bad, that one ticks y'all off too), kids are getting their youth league sports underway, people are going back to work, etc.

But for some reason, the idea that are also heading back to church seems uniquely threatening.

Of course, since you can't get any traction on misreprsenting my argument, now you want to gish gallop.

The beaches in Florida are open as are the churches.

Try again.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   

You started by quoting the Bible as an atheist. The very book you claim to be nothing but "fairy tales," when it suddenly suits your agenda you go all Google on repeating verses without any thought to context.

That's as hypocritical as it gets.

If you want to see an example of what I am speaking of, read in John where Jesus, after being baptised by John the Baptist, went into the wilderness to fast for 40 days and 40 nights. At the end of that fast, He was approached by the Devil and tempted using the scriptures for support. The attempt offended Jesus, and your pitiful attempts to play Devil now offend me. Jesus refused to be swayed, and so do I

We have a saying around here based on that: The Devil can quote scripture for his own purposes.

Just like you do.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Hypocritcal?

You mean I can't quote the Bible if I don't believe that it's true?

Wow.

The flaw in your logic is that YOU and others claim to believe the BIble.

Yet, you're denying that it says what it says.

Who's the hypocrite again?

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Oh, and, thank you for comparing me to Satan.

He didn't like the pomposity of authoritarians either.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

If you want to see an example of what I am speaking of, read in John where Jesus, after being baptised by John the Baptist, went into the wilderness to fast for 40 days and 40 nights.

Jesus didn't feel the need to congregate those 40 days. You should remember that. You have not only not made your point, you made Gryphon's point.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: testing123

And you just made the point you have no idea what you're talking about.

Get thee from me, Satan.

TheRedneck

edit on 5/26/2020 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Get from me, Satan.

TheRedneck

LOL ...

I think he's staying that Jesus, after being baptised, didn't go to church.

He went out in solitude to seek God.

Also, if you're going for the non-pompous thing ... it's not working for ya.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Get from me, Satan.

TheRedneck

LOL ...

I think he's staying that Jesus, after being baptised, didn't go to church.

He went out in solitude to seek God.

Also, if you're going for the non-pompous thing ... it's not working for ya.

His version of Christianity isn't working for him either. He seems awfully reliant on conjuring up Satan.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I dunno.

I thought their Book was the one true basis of their faith and the exercising thereof.

I guess not. At least for some.

I guess I'll go back to what Father Beck said, that supposedly kicked all this pearl-clutching off ...

The churches in my area have been open for individual prayer, Benediction services and Stations of the Cross, and social distancing is strongly encouraged. Priests have even paraded in processions in neighborhoods with the Blessed Sacrament in order to bring elements of the church service out to the faithful. Similarly, rabbis and imams whom I know have been doing the equivalent with their respective religious congregations. That is all "religious service."

CNN, IBID OP
edit on 26-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Cite

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

My version of Christianity is working just fine, thank you very much. The fact that it is apparently confusing you thrills me to no end.

Means I must be doing something right.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

BTW, nice avatar. Been saving it for just this occasion?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   

BTW, nice avatar. Been saving it for just this occasion?

TheRedneck

Nope. Inspired by you.

I'm concerned it may be a copyright violation though ... I think it's the character Lil Devil from the Richie Rich comics.

ETA: There. I think that''s a stock image. Best to comply with intellectual property laws. d

By the way, the other one was a version of "Hot Stuff" from Ricky Rich.
edit on 26-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 01:58 PM
link   

It is was.

TheRedneck

edit on 5/26/2020 by TheRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

It is was.

TheRedneck

Fixed now.

I think that's a stock piece of clip art.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Well, there's certainly enough artistic license there to call it so.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well, there's certainly enough artistic license there to call it so.

TheRedneck

Yep.

2nd.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

My version of Christianity is working just fine, thank you very much. The fact that it is apparently confusing you thrills me to no end.

Means I must be doing something right.

TheRedneck

I'm not confused by you in the least. You're the guy that thought you knew the Alabama voters so well that they'd support Roy Moore to the bitter end. Your perception of them was as flawed as your perception of the Bible.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Yep, that was me. Moore would have won, except that he stopped campaigning two days before the election.

Congratulations. You won that round.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh, you can absolutely quote it. The pharisees did that all the time. They were expert legalists. The problem is that all they had was the letter of the law. It rather loses it's magic without the spirit, however.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join