It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner Tonight???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Asked the wife, no idea. So, went to the store...wow...devastated! Was looking better last week, but I guess this is the Memorial Day holiday.

Anyway, chicken was scarce. Had to buy a big bag of leg quarters. (love them anyway). Took them home and cut them up.

Sautéed in fresh garlic, added in some sliced peppers (sweet, not hot) and a bunch of Cumin. Fresh sweet corn at the store too...so that's steaming. Put some stewed tomatoes into the sauce, and a Jalapeno...salt and pepper...OH MAN!!

This is gonna be GOOOOOoooooD!!

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I had Dungeness crab last night for my birthday dinner, and didn't feel like cooking tonight. I ran by Papa Murphys, and got a take and bake cowboy pizza with thin crust and extra sauce. Yum!

Enjoy your dinner

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   
We'll need to hit the butcher this weekend.

We've got a bunch of chicken parts on the stove making stock. So we're using the last of the beef bone broth to make veggie beef stew this weekend.

We'll get some nice chuck or shank cut cubed for the stew and hopefully score some house-made sausages. I like their garlic knocks myself, but husband will likely end up with the old world Polish. I'm not sure what kiddo will get ... probably a cheese knock.

We usually do a grill out for Memorial. The other butcher has the real gourmet sausage and patties, but with the restrictions, their selection is severely restriction. I love their bacon burger or lamb burgers, but they won't have them this year. And they make sausage flavors to die for like a mole sausage flavor that was totally awesome. But again, they aren't carrying their usual selection right now.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

During last December, i somehow became a vegetarian... umm... if that leaves you wondering, well i was in a hangover every single morning and eating animals just felt like a bad idea. Cut back drinking a little bit but remained a vegetarian.

Been rocking it with chili. Sri Racha sauce is in almost everyday use.

I think i need to search some of your chili threads for advice!

It is great that you appreciate food. And you spend time and money to have great food. It is worth it, but it is not a given. Some people just get any mcburger from somewhere and be done with it.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Happy Birthday!

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Sounds good.

I baked some chicken quarters the other night. I wanted to smoke them, but it was cold outside and I didn't feel like being out there, so i just seasoned them with butter, salt, pepper, paprika, rosemary, garlic, and chipotle. Baked pretty low for a while, then raised the temp to crisp. Delicious and moist. I should've cooked more than two, lol. Steamed some fresh spinach, and cooked some rice.

Good #

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

NICE! This time of year in Canada we have to make hay while the sun shines, lol! For me, a few nice Steaks on the BBQ with sweet corn that I cover with garlic butter and a little salt...Damn, that's good!

You can't blame me when I shop here. 150 Feet of meat!? I'm in heaven!

edit on 22-5-2020 by TortoiseKweek because: Add Link

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I live in an L-shaped 1 story apartment complex with 5 units. We have small porches and our front doors are actually patio sliders! I was concerned at first, but we look after each other and crime in my little coastal city is practically non-existent.

That being said, when I BBQ I smoke out everyone here. Windows and sliding glass doors go shut pretty quick as soon as they hear the Weber clanging about, lol.

So I decided to BBQ early today before noon as most of my neighbors are out and about until 4pm.

I smoked probably the best tri-tip I've ever made.

Ingredients: (I eyeball everything so bare with me here)

1 tri-tip (obviously..lol)

The rub:

*Dark brown sugar 1/2 cup or so..
*Garlic powder 2 tbsp. I suppose..
*Onion powder 1 tbsp. I guess..
*Granulated black pepper 3 tbsp. I could be wrong..
*Himalayan Seasalt 2 tbsp. ..maybe
*Smoked Paprika 2 tbsp. This one I measured, stuffs expensive
*Tumeric ..a dash
Mix well in a separate bowl and make sure to break up all the brown sugar lumps.

Prep:
Make sure your meat is room temperature before you grill it, makes a huge difference when it comes to beef.

Take tri-tip and coat with olive oil as a binder. Some folks do, some folks don't. I've personally had better results doing this.

Liberally coat with rub all sides and edges.

Go start your grill.

The cook:
I used indirect grilling putting all my lump charcoal on one side, and cooking on the other.

I went with mesquite wood chunks for the smoking. Soaking your wood is useless, the water only penetrates the wood by a centimeter if that. It creates more steam than smoke initially and is unnecessary. Throw a couple chunks on top of your coals and let the magic show begin.

Grill on one side for 25min @250° to 275°F then flip it over for another 20 to 25min @ around the same temp.

A meat thermometer is nice to have and a internal temperature of 130°F in the meatiest portion of the tri-tip is perfectly medium rare.

While the coals are still hot, I move the meat over them to sear it for about 3 minutes a side.

Take it off the grill, wrap in foil and let it rest for at least 15 minutes to allow the juices to return.

All done!

If you need me to tell you how to eat it, DM me your address and I'll come by and show you how!😂

Enjoy!

Have a good and safe Memorial Day weekend and remember those who made it possible for you to do so.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice to all our current military personnel and my fellow veterans.

Airforce
Ssgt.
1993-1999
⭐+🇺🇸
Especially the "🇺🇸"!!!

edit on 5/22/2020 by EternalShadow because: correction, eta

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

OMG, I was salivating just reading your post! That, I have to try one day. Pull out the ol charcoal bbq and get serious with my meat burning again.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TortoiseKweek

OMG, I was salivating just reading your post! That, I have to try one day. Pull out the ol charcoal bbq and get serious with my meat burning again.

Nice!👍

Gas grills just don't cast the same spell in my opinion! Lol.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Everything sounds good on this thread. I have no clue what we are having this weekend, I suppose I can take out some T-Bones and Porterhouses from the freezer. I picked up an extra tank of propane for the grill, I hate when we cook things and run out of gas half way through. Too many dry leaves around the big fire pit yet, I have to wait till it rains and stuff greens up a bit before starting a fire in the pit to cook on.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Everything sounds good on this thread. I have no clue what we are having this weekend, I suppose I can take out some T-Bones and Porterhouses from the freezer. I picked up an extra tank of propane for the grill, I hate when we cook things and run out of gas half way through. Too many dry leaves around the big fire pit yet, I have to wait till it rains and stuff greens up a bit before starting a fire in the pit to cook on.

A retired Finnish ice hockey star Teemu Selänne opened up a steak restaurant. One of the steaks was marinated in pepsi cola.

In some perverted sense, i would have liked to marinate a steak in pepsi cola and taste it. But i can't do it anymore. I need to emphasize, my vegetarianism is not an ideological or ethical choice. It just is the way things are.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

FCD knows his food. So do some of the other members here.

I grew up labeled picky because my family was the any old "mcburger" type, and I used to hate it and refused to eat most of it. I honestly grew up convinced I hated hamburgers, period. Now I know I do dislike most of them, but there are a few here and there that are actually worth my time.

What I've learned about myself over the years is that I'm not picky. I actually love an astonishing variety of foods, but I'm a foodie. So any old mcburger is often offensive to me. I'm sensitive to flavors and a meal is me taking time to savor them, so if they're not there ... I'm not eating or at least not enjoying.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Cool! i see...

I am a decent chef. I mean... not anywhere near claydisk levels but also not the one in the kitchen with two left hands (i am right-handed)

It is a complicated mess to be honest. You know the TV dinners and stuff, heated in the microwave... I am quite thin but when i eat, then i eat with a capital E. TV dinner can cost easily 3 euros here. I need 3 or 4 of those to fulfill my appetite. To heck with it, i cook my own food... What are TV dinners anyway? a hate crime? The label looks awesome, lasagna so nicely golden brown and juicy. Open the package and see some gray goo that reminds you about human brain matter...

I like to cook but i do it in half effort now. In a quarter effort. Due to being a single solitary man. It is so much nicer when there is someone who i care about who eats what i cook.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Going for some Beef-a-lo (beef and buffalo)...or some bison tomorrow. Expensive, but worth it...and its an organic market...

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

That looks like a nice butcher shop, for sure!

My parents had a place over in Sarnia for a while and I always found shopping for meat there to be an odd experience. The selection always seemed to be pretty unusual; lots and lots of pork, but not a lot of beef at all. What beef that was there was tiny. Everything was trimmed of all (every bit) of fat. I always had to remember to pick up steaks over in Michigan before going across the bridge. Wasn't really too familiar with the area, so maybe it was just the place I was going to.

But yeah, a nice big STEAK on the grill after a long day in the field is definitely a one of life's treats!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Sounds great, but did you mean (2) Tsp (not 2 Tbsp) of Himalayan Sea Salt?? If not, wow, that would be a lot of salt for one piece of meat. That Himalayan pink salt is some powerful stuff.

Tri-tips are always great on the grill!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Surprisingly, cola based soft drink products (Coke, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper) are actually excellent meat tenderizers, and they don't impart as much sticky sweet flavor as you might think. I don't think of them as a marinade so much for nicer cuts of beef like steak as much as for cuts which have a lot of connective tissue like briskets and ribs. I'll have to try it sometime on a steak and let you know how it goes. Might be delicious, but that's one I haven't tried on a steak yet.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Trust me, not liking mcburgers does NOT make you McPicky! There was a time when mcburgers were actually good, but those days are long gone! It's hard for me to even picture a burger chain I dislike more than McDonald's (now). They would be my very last choice, and even then I'd probably rather just forgo eating at all (rare for me!). But I have often lamented about McDonald's here in the past, so I'll spare you. It's a love/hate thing with me for some reason, but I digress.

I too love an astonishing variety of foods, and you know I'm a 'foodie'! About the only thing I don't eat much of is organ meat. Just can't do it. It's gotten more pronounced as I've gotten older too. I don't know why really, but I just don't. I used to be able to tolerate things like liver, but no more. I do love braunschwieger though (crazy, I know)...I just don't want to think about what's in it (even though I do know). Even funnier...I'll eat braunschwieger, but not liverwurst (even though it's the same damn thing most times). I do have caveats though, and one of them is natural casings for sausages, I'll eat those. But things like kidneys, brains, tripe, and that kind of stuff...no thanks.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Beefalo's are some interesting critters. We looked into them, but we get the same benefits from the cattle we raise (grass fed Galloways), and we don't have to worry about the complicated breeding process. And the meat is absolutely fabulous!

Beefalo is good meat too though, provided you find a good source. Are you buying quantities (like quarter, half or whole animals), or just individual cuts?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join