It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator introduces resolution to ban free speech

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN

That"s right, the Left split up free speech and invented a different type of speech called "hate speech".
"Hate speech" is different from other types of speech so it's not included in the "free" type 'cause they don't like it.
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

So, what part of free speech is yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded theater?

Is that included in free speech, or is it different from other types of speech? If so, how does it differ?

Very common response.

See here....
en.m.wikipedia.org...

“The paraphrasing differs from Holmes's original wording in that it typically does not include the word falsely, while also adding the word "crowded" to describe the theatre. The original wording used in Holmes's opinion ("falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic") highlights that speech that is dangerous and false is not protected, as opposed to speech that is dangerous but also true.”

And from the OP...

“Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., introduced a resolution condemning “anti-Asian sentiment as related to COVID-19,” including use of the phrase “Wuhan Virus.” “

From what I understand Covid 19 originated in Wuhan and it is a virus. So not a FALSE statement.

So the portion of the OP above is the statement she made intending to ban freedom of speech.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN

FYI....Last fall, Harris demanded that Twitter shut down Trump's account. So yes, she most certainly does want to ban free speech.
a reply to: ColeYounger

Twitter is a private entity.

They have no obligation to protect or provide for anyone's free speech.

The debate is not about Twitter. The Twitter bias and censorship issues have been discussed to death.
It's about Kamala Harris wanting to not allow people to use certain words that SHE finds offensive.
She wants to ban you from using a fairly lenghty list of words, and phrases that SHE doesn't like.
Is that NOT a ban on free speech?? Am I missing something?
FFS, she even wants to 'investigate' anyone suspected of violating her word bans!

These memes sum up the twisted logic of the left far better than any rant I can muster.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It looks like the resolution doesn't outlaw hate speech. It only "condemns" it.

The government can "condemn" anything it wants, so long as nobody is being charged with an actual crime.

But It's clear they're trying to create a boogeyman here. I haven't seen anybody show anything similar to hatred toward the asian community where I live. And we have a pretty big community here in Portland, OR.

The "discrimination" is probably companies being reluctant to hire Asian people right now. Due to them having a higher probability of infection with Covid19.

So really they just don't want to catch Covid.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: bloodymarvelous
It looks like the resolution doesn't outlaw hate speech. It only "condemns" it.

The government can "condemn" anything it wants, so long as nobody is being charged with an actual crime.

But It's clear they're trying to create a boogeyman here. I haven't seen anybody show anything similar to hatred toward the asian community where I live. And we have a pretty big community here in Portland, OR.

The "discrimination" is probably companies being reluctant to hire Asian people right now. Due to them having a higher probability of infection with Covid19.

So really they just don't want to catch Covid.

But “Wuhan Flu” isn’t hate speech.
Therefore she is condemning free speech.

Is it appropriate or acceptable for a law maker to condemn something enshrined in a country’s constitution?

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Kamala needs to lighten up. She used to have a wicked sense of humor back when we were smoking joints listening to Snoop Dog.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Exactly. It's like the phoney claims of "rampant Nazi-ism" after Trump was elected. Within two weeks of Trump's swearing in, The Southern Poverty Law Center put up a website showing a U.S. map, which highlighted the areas where the hundreds of hate crimes had supposedly occurred.
There are people who still believe Jussie Smollet was attacked by Trumpers!

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Damn that Harris lady makes my blood boil. She's pretty much one of those idiots who wants to strip us of any freedom she can. She can go straight to hell with her orwellian BS!

Maybe just lock her up with all the nonviolent potheads she's put in prison and let them sort out justice?

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

The resolution takes particular aim at phrases such as “Wuhan virus,” “Chinese virus” and “Kung Flu” for perpetrating “anti-Asian stigma.”

Yay, "China Pox" isn't directly listed so I can continue to use it as normal.

Seriously though, this "inclusive society" so many little progressive nothings like Harris always talk about seems to only involve one type of inclusiveness: their heads inclusivating with their asses.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I can’t remember the guys name, he’s a senator, but he once said, “I tried looking at it from her point of view but I couldn’t get my head up my ass.”

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ErEhWoN

except the supreme court overturned the case that declared such a precedence as truth three times, twice in the same year and once in 1969 so yeah legally you can yell fire in a crowded place, just as you can say whatever hateful, racist or degenerate things you want without legal consequences, yes even advocating violence.

Debs v. U.S. and Frohwerk v. U.S. and Brandenburg v. Ohio.

that phrase is a fallacy and any such laws violate the Constitution, its a simple thing to defend against if you were actually arrested for it.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I can’t remember the guys name, he’s a senator, but he once said, “I tried looking at it from her point of view but I couldn’t get my head up my ass.”

You should print that on a T-shirt and sell it on Ebay.

And donate the proceeds to Chicom-19 relief.

edit on 22-5-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

So we can't talk about how the virus came from Wuhan?

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Karen has just reported you.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Kevin just reported double posts.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Ask Karen what I am supposed to say when someone asks where the Oriental not-flu came from.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Trump Towers, ground zero.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Yeah I didn't think you'd comment with anything real. Your "shrewdness" has the logical appearance of a highschool pissant who makes baseless claims based soley on the reason that what they read upset them; reactionary.

You may not be so bold. Cool word, though. Bet your brain is really big. At least I learned a flowery new word! Gotta take something away from this sub-standard thread.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Exactly. It's like the phoney claims of "rampant Nazi-ism" after Trump was elected. Within two weeks of Trump's swearing in, The Southern Poverty Law Center put up a website showing a U.S. map, which highlighted the areas where the hundreds of hate crimes had supposedly occurred.
There are people who still believe Jussie Smollet was attacked by Trumpers!

Which is hilarious because most the people whom still think he was attacked are white. Black people ain't dumb enough to believe that #.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
hahahahahaha

I was confused for a bit as well.

I am trying to get back to the Middle Path.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join