It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Rifles Anyone?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My Shadow Whisper will go through the traps at 1,080 fps. Some of the Benjamins will do 1,200 fps and above.

I saw a guy on YT who had some kind of a custom air rifle he had hooked up to a SCUBA tank and he was shooting .22 rounds at like 3,600 fps!! That's almost as fast as my .270 Weatherby Mag!! He was using some crazy gas pressure like 2,000 psi.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
My Shadow Whisper will go through the traps at 1,080 fps. Some of the Benjamins will do 1,200 fps and above.

I saw a guy on YT who had some kind of a custom air rifle he had hooked up to a SCUBA tank and he was shooting .22 rounds at like 3,600 fps!! That's almost as fast as my .270 Weatherby Mag!! He was using some crazy gas pressure like 2,000 psi.

I want one! lol!!

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
One thing that amazes me, as I live in Massachusetts, is that pellet guns, no matter how powerful they are, are NOT considered firearms in this state. They require no license, just the standard rule that they cannot be used outdoors in residential areas unless you have a 500ft clear area.

I ordered my Nitro Venom from Pyramid , and the package was leaning against my front door when I came home. No complaint except the obvious... what is considered dangerous, and how do you control it not getting into the hands of kids if you ship it like that?

I set up a simple 30ft target area in the basement that works well with some metal targets and real thick Styrofoam and plywood backing.
For an indoor range, best to never use alloy pellets as they lose very little velocity in a ricochet.

edit on 23-5-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
One thing that amazes me, as I live in Massachusetts, is that pellet guns, no matter how powerful they are, are NOT considered firearms. They require no license, just the standard rule that they cannot be used outdoors in residential areas , I think a 500ft clear area is ok.

I ordered my Nitro Venom from Pyramid , and the package was leaning against my front door when I came home. No complaint except the obvious... what is considered dangerous, and how do you control it not getting into the hands of kids if you ship it like that.

In Canukistan
anything over 500fps is classified a firearm. In the case of a .177 doing 600fps, it's kind of lame, but take the Bulldog.. .357 at 1200fps, definitely might as well be a firearm..sans fire

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

One thing that amazes me, as I live in Massachusetts, is that pellet guns, no matter how powerful they are, are NOT considered firearms. They require no license, just the standard rule that they cannot be used outdoors in residential areas , I think a 500ft clear area is ok.

I ordered my Nitro Venom from Pyramid , and the package was leaning against my front door when I came home. No complaint except the obvious... what is considered dangerous, and how do you control it not getting into the hands of kids if you ship it like that.

In Canukistan
anything over 500fps is classified a firearm. In the case of a .177 doing 600fps, it's kind of lame, but take the Bulldog.. .357 at 1200fps, definitely might as well be a firearm..sans fire

Agree, Canada has realistic gun laws based upon lethality. Some of the airguns posted in this thread, including the one you referenced, are definitive firearms. Massachusetts uses the strict definition that unless a gun uses a powder based charge, it is not a firearm. I know it will be re-assessed now that some of these newer air guns are released on the market, as it should be.

I have quite a collection of pellet pistols, all under 500fps. In the spirit of the OP, they are great entertainment when you are cooped up at home, and I love shooting at targets as a pastime since there is presently not a lot of things to do at home!
edit on 23-5-2020 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz
Well, I just tried my Umarex Trevox out. It's supposed to be super-quiet. I took aim at one of the pests and it was so loud that that pest and 3 more took off for their lives.
THAT'S getting returned.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz
Hard to beat a dieseled nitro.
I am a target shooter though, so yours would be just fine for me.!

New update on Amazon, they will not ship air rifles or air ammo to MA.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This thread got me to break out my Umarex CX4, bought co2, damn thing didn't seal, co2 leaked out in less than a min

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

A few drops of gun oil on the pin and seal, left overnight may be all you need. Inspect for a cracked seal.
Leaving an empty Co2 cartridge in the gun for a long time can cause this. If that was the case, inspect the removed cartridge as the seal may have cemented itself to the top of it when you removed it. Hope it helps.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Did you screw the co2 canister in really tight?

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I thought I cranked it down, it takes the 88grm co2 cylinder, have read this gun likes a certain brand(Walther). Last time the crossman tanks worked fine, this time was another brand. The gun had no tank in it while in storage.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   

A few drops of gun oil on the pin and seal, left overnight may be all you need. Inspect for a cracked seal.
Leaving an empty Co2 cartridge in the gun for a long time can cause this. If that was the case, inspect the removed cartridge as the seal may have cemented itself to the top of it when you removed it. Hope it helps.

The seal may have hardened up/shrank a tiny bit, it's hard to explain, but the 88gr co2 seals around the neck right near the tip/face, the face to face where the needle puntures is just metal to metal.

I will try oiling it up.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join