It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decommissioned Nuclear Powerplant In Dodewaard Netherlands Catches Fire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Let us hope it is quickly contained with minimal loss and contamination

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
The plant was decommissioned in 1997 and the radioactive fuel rods were removed years ago. People are being told to close their windows because of the smoke. I wonder what caused this fire?

#LFTR

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   

The plant has been out of service since 1997 but is not expected to be dismantled until 2045, when radiation at the site drops to safe levels. All fuel rods were removed from the site in 2003, so there is no immediate danger of radioactive fallout.

The main operational areas of the plant were bricked up and contained within a so-called ‘safe zone’, to prevent areas that previously housed radioactive material from being exposed to the outside world.

www.rt.com...

fingers crossed its quickly put out

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   
They say there is no problem of leaking radiation because the fuel rods have been removed,but anyone with minimal knowledge of nuclear plants would tell you there are far more sources and areas of a nuclear plant that contain or are contaminated with radiation than just the fuel rods.

If the site has been bricked up and made safe,I would guess someone started the fire deliberately.
Or worse case,they did a shoddy job at decomissioning the plant,and left something radioactive enough to spontaneously combust.

Hope they sort it out fast.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Latest news is that the firedepartment has control over the fire and does not expect any radiation leaks or dangers. They say this fire is on the roof of the building. But when I see pictures it is clear to see that a side of the building is developing smoke and a fireman is spraying water on it. So..are we being fed a lie by the media? How does a significant fire start and burn on the roof anyways.. Well.. for now everything is under control and is there nothing to be concerned about. Time will tell..I guess.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What would be burning? I imagine it's mostly steel and concrete.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

Tar covered roof corona bottle right angle of sunlight -

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2
Corona AGAIN!? FTW

new topics

top topics

join