It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA scientists ‘may have found evidence of parallel universe where time runs backwards’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Are you referring to entropy and the use of Spectral function for CCQE?
Good thought experiment.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: drewlander

Neutrinos are called that for a reason. They carry no charge and are thus unaffected by magnetic fields.

Using the standard model of particle physics you are correct however if you consider that a neutrino may in fact have mass then you are mistaken.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter

Are you referring to entropy and the use of Spectral function for CCQE?
Good thought experiment.
I was referring to this posted on page 1, (re-posted from another thread).

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I've heard that Neutrinos might be distinguishable by mass.
This article claims there are three flavors of Neutrinos distinguishable by entropy.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

There is the more intuitive relationship between time and entropy in the macro world.
So it might just be a misconception of flavor and time?

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Slichter

We are definitely still evolving our understanding of particle physics. I certainly dont mean to say Phage is wrong so much as to say if you always believe you understand everything you are doing then you are never learning.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

That or maybe something to do with the earths magnetic field lines happen to converge in that region.

originally posted by: Phage

Neutrinos are called that for a reason. They carry no charge and are thus unaffected by magnetic fields.

originally posted by: drewlander
Using the standard model of particle physics you are correct however if you consider that a neutrino may in fact have mass then you are mistaken.
Maybe Phage should have said neutrinos are unaffected by the Earth's magnetic field, or perhaps that was implied already because that was the context in which Phage wrote his reply.

The Earth's magnetic field at the surface is ~0.5 Gauss and in order to affect massive neutrinos significantly, would take a magnetic field something like 10000000000000 Gauss.

Neutrinos and magnetic fields : a short review

A magnetic field, as commented in Sec. 1, has sizeable effect on neutrino properties if its magnitude is comparable to, or larger than, 10000000000000 G.

So I would tend to agree that the Earth's magnetic field is not going to have a noticeable effect on neutrinos, even if they have mass, which they apparently do. In a magnetar, it may be a different story because they can have very strong magnetic fields, but they are an exceptional case and most places will not have a magnetic field that strong.

edit on 2020521 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
the point where future and past meet we call it present...think about it...:-)

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 05:56 AM
link   

no classical theory of local hidden variables can produce the predictions of quantum mechanics.

Evolution and the Scopes Monkey Trial?
There are a lot of things we could learn about physics that were discovered before Judy Garland reached puberty.
You can teach algebra with a Model T Ford differential.
A Carpenters contour duplicator can introduce the concept of limits for calculus where algebraic functions become localized.
You can use RTDSC instructions to learn about probability.
Nobody does.

Feel Fine Fysics...

It isn't what she's got to say But how she thinks and where she's been To me, the words are nice, the way they sound I like to hear them best that way It doesn't much matter what they mean What she says them mostly just to calm me down

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
when I read the article.... I thought of a 'white-hole' that spews energy out into this universe & not about a 'Reversed-Time Universe'

the Strange Phenomenon we have as the Earth inner/outer Core... is potentially weirder because of Theoretical Quantum sub-particles called 'Strangelets' which tend to accumulate within the Earth's Core environment and 'vibrate' and throw-off energies and micro explosions in the Molten Core and is causing the Earth Mantle regions to overheat

reversed time universe interface... now that is fanciful thoughts

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   

This is true to my knowledge though you failed to mention that the earths magnetic field happens to be strongest at its poles. Instead of trying to justify this in the context of rational science though, lets jump to the conclusion that a parallel universe is winding back time and stealing neutrinos from this timeline.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
reversed time universe interface... now that is fanciful thoughts

Thats is exactly what i was thinking. This reverse time parallel universe theory is the kind of conjecture that NASA uses to convince the people we need to throw more money at them because a reverse time parallel universe sounds super cool and the average person doesnt seem to question it as potential science fiction.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: spite

Sounds made up. We'll probably never hear of this again. Some of these scientists are worse than the UFO nutjobs.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The Benjamin Button Universe could be what happens when the Universe expands to a certain point, Then retracts moving backwards into another singularity. For the next Big Bang.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I can’t imagine this scenario. I could imagine parallel ripples.... I thought there were 12 dimensions. I bought the Japanese physics professors book on Dimensions and got confused after ten pages. Maybe Heaven and hell are parallels. I think the aliens come from other planets elsewhere.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It doesn't suprise me if NASA did in fact find evidence of a parallel Universe where time runs backwards.

Revelation 22:13

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   
So theres more than one timeline.

We must be in The Darkest Timeline.

Does anyone have one of thoughs special paintball guns?

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Great Scott Marty!

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Our brains have trouble understanding these things.
But time may ne like a rubber band that stretches out for our lifetimes and that snaps back when it reaches its limit

Older people need to be taking care of like infants when they get s certain age. Everything comes back around

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 04:16 AM
link   
What is time?

Time is applying of rules, nothing more. If no rules / physical laws are applied anymore, there is no movement, no chemical reactions, nothing, time essentially stops.

In our case, we notice time because of changes of our surrounding and the processes in our brain. These are physical rules.

Either the term time is not correctly used in the article or substituted for a term they think we are not smart enough to grasp.

If time runs backwards, that would mean that these physical laws would nullify themselves, becoming the void. For that to happen, it could never exist in first place, since those laws would prevent it from ever existing. It is a real paradox, so we either are completely wrong with all we know about physics or time is not running backwards in a multiverse.

posted on May, 24 2020 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shibari
What is time?

Time is applying of rules, nothing more. If no rules / physical laws are applied anymore, there is no movement, no chemical reactions, nothing, time essentially stops.

In our case, we notice time because of changes of our surrounding and the processes in our brain. These are physical rules.

Either the term time is not correctly used in the article or substituted for a term they think we are not smart enough to grasp.

Interesting post, I can see you've given it some thought.

You are right about rules applying to time, and there is a set of rules and proofs called CPT, Charge, parity, and time reversal symmetry, that we didn't make up, rather we see how nature behaves and it seems to follow those rules, and we have some mathematical proofs.

When the rules are applied on a microscopic scale, everything seems to work fine in reverse time, it's only on a macroscopic scale where the arrow of time becomes apparent and that's sort of an unsolved problem in physics that physicists don't have a good explanation for, as explained here.

CPT Symmetry

Suppose you had a movie of some physical process. If the movie were run backwards through the projector, could you tell from the images on the screen that the movie was running backwards? Clearly in everyday life there would be no problem in telling the difference. A movie of a street scene, an egg hitting the floor, or a dive into a swimming pool has an obvious "time arrow" pointing from the past to the future. But at the atomic level there are no obvious clues to time direction. An electron orbiting an atom or even making a quantum jump to produce a photon looks like a valid physical process in either time direction. The everyday "arrow of time" does not seem to have a counterpart in the microscopic world–a problem for which physics currently has no answer.

If time runs backwards, that would mean that these physical laws would nullify themselves, becoming the void. For that to happen, it could never exist in first place, since those laws would prevent it from ever existing. It is a real paradox, so we either are completely wrong with all we know about physics or time is not running backwards in a multiverse.
We think we are wrong about something at least, because it seems like the universe is made out of matter and there's very little anti-matter. According to our observations, when matter forms from energy, we see equal amounts of matter and anti-matter being created, so in a process called "Pair production", we observe an electron and a positron pair created where one is matter and the other is anti-matter. So according to that observation, the big bang should have made equal amounts of matter and anti-matter, but since we only see mostly matter, something is wrong somewhere.

The recent (2018) idea from some Canadian physicists is that that problem can be solved if the big bang did produce equal amounts of matter and anti-matter, but the anti-matter is in another universe with time running backwards, "before" the big bang. The anti-matter universe is the one with backward-running time on the left here, and ours with matter and forward time is on the right:

Our universe has antimatter partner on the other side of the Big Bang, say physicists

The line or point in the middle is the Big Bang.

It's a little too mind bending for me to physically interpret this model and it seems a little crazy, but, there is an unsolved problem with the lack of anti-matter and it's their job as theoretical physicists to come up with possible ideas to solve the problem, and that's what they've done, but that doesn't mean it's right. In fact one of the authors makes some statements that seem very odd to me, like this:

futurism.com...

co-author Neil Turok, of the Perimetery Institute for Theoretical Physics in Ontario, argued in an interview with the publication that the new theory is a strong one because it relies only on known particles and fields, instead of assuming that new ones will be discovered in the future.

“There is this frame of mind that you explain a new phenomenon by inventing a new particle or field,” he told Physics World. “I think that may turn out to be misguided.”
Turok says he thinks it may be misguided to propose a new particle/field, which admittedly is speculative, but how is speculating another universe better? The other universe seems far more speculative to me than what he's complaining about. I've seen other cases where he says things which strike me as very odd so I can't say he's wrong, but his thinking is a lot different than mine.

Personally I doubt the antimatter universe is the correct answer to the matter-antimatter asymmetry problem, but I can't rule it out and I don't know the correct answer to the problem, nobody does. I think physicists may have an even bigger problem if they can't explain why all the king's horses and all the king's men can't put humpty dumpty back together again since they are relying on models which say that time runs backward just fine, when the humpty dumpty story illustrates that it doesn't. So yes, physicists have some unsolved problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join