It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Mnuchin: Employees Who Reject Offer To Resume Work Ineligible For Unemployment

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I'm curious, do you have actual sources you could share that outline who and where all these workers are that refuse to go back to work when an employer calls them back? Is it state-specific, is it clustered in certain industries, etc?

I'm not asking here for "we all know it's happening" I'd like to see what specific data you're referring to when you say things like companies "are in compliance with CDC recs and can't get employees off the sofa"?

Thanks.

I haven't been able to find any peer reviewed studies on the issue. That said I do know many people who are delaying going back to work as long as possible because they are making as much, if not more, on unemployment than they make while working. These include people whom I formerly worked with (and they have offered me a job twice because of it), people who are friends and acquaintances, some family members and extended family members, co-workers of my husband, etc. I have also asked at businesses I frequent (who have help wanted and now hiring signs) and have been told that they are having problems getting employees to return to work despite following CDC guidelines- whether that is due to the money or just plain fear I do not know to be honest.

I'm sure you were already well aware that there haven't been official, peer reviewed studies about it as there has not been enough time for such. But by all means go ahead and claim that it isn't happening. My guess is that you're personally rooting for the people attempting to get away with it no matter your denial of it even happening.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You're being unrealistic. If you are afraid to work somewhere then don't- that's on you. I know at least 3 people who have found new jobs even during the lock downs and high unemployment so it can be done. Whine to someone else because repeating the same thing over and over and over isn't bringing anything new- it just shows you are afraid, so own it.

State and local health departments follow CDC and OSHA guidelines.

And the state and local health departments are who you should report your business to if t is not complying- exactly what I have been saying this whole time that you keep arguing about.

edit on 20-5-2020 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

LOL ... I wasn't asking for peer-reviewed articles, I was asking for the information that you were basing your comments on when you refer to these people who won't go back to work.

You personally know people who are delaying going back to work ... well, that's interesting though anecdotal. Can you provide an idea of how many folk that is, based on your informal sample, as compared with the people who can't go back because their workplaces are still closed etc.

Would you guess it's 1% of the people you know, %10? 50%?

My contention, especially after reviewing your source for this thread, is that there is a lot of supposition involved ... if people are making more money at home on unemployment, many must be taking that opportunity. Not to descend into right-left BS, but we all know that right-leaners are basically opposed to the social safety net in general, anyway.

The assumption is that people would rather sit on their ass and take money from the government. That's not my experience in my own "personal sample."

... and then you jump to the illogical and ad hominem. Your guess is wrong. I haven't argued that "it's not happening" 'but way to go trying to set it up so that anyone asking for facts is categorized into the simplilstic "right left" scale.

You have zero justification to make the final personal comment about me, and it very clearly demonstrates your REAL intetnion here. You're fronting for an agenda.

Thats for the chat.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Notice that the discussion has to keep all this in the realm of the hypothetical so that posts can deal with "common knowledge" rather than facts. Notice how quickly the responses turn to personal attacks ... because they know there's no basis to the claims.

And then of course, we have to make sure that everyone's identified and categorized by their assumed political bias. If that was the tactic I took, I would simply have pointed out "Daily Wire, Ben Shapiro's right-wing rag???" but, that wasn't the approach I tried to take.

Then you have posters who post blatantly obvious facts for 99% of their post implying that you need to be spoken to like a child, and then cap that off with the 1% conclusion that doesn't follow from the rest of the post.

Most of what we see here are tactics being deployed. Some knowingly, some emulated. The real facts are that the situation is not simply some folks who don't want to go back to work - one report from the employer to the State would solve that "crisis" ... more importantly black-and-white solutions are not the most productive.
edit on 20-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

You are correct- you did not deserve that and I apologize.
It hasn't been a great day and I shouldn't take that out on you.
I am neither a leftist or a right winger, I am a centrist.

I would say that roughly between 10-20% of people I know for certain. A whole lot of my friends and family are in construction trades, if that helps. I have not talked to every single person that I know so the actual percentage could be higher. Also these are people in Kentucky, Texas and Louisiana.

I am not included people whom I do not know but have overheard talking about it.
It would also be unfair not to mention that of the people I know for certain are doing it are some (maybe 1/4 to 1/3) who milk their unemployment for all they can even previous to Covid-19 and would not go back to work until they had exhausted their unemployment benefits.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: Gryphon66

You are correct- you did not deserve that and I apologize.
It hasn't been a great day and I shouldn't take that out on you.
I am neither a leftist or a right winger, I am a centrist.

I would say that roughly between 10-20% of people I know for certain. A whole lot of my friends and family are in construction trades, if that helps. I have not talked to every single person that I know so the actual percentage could be higher. Also these are people in Kentucky, Texas and Louisiana.

I am not included people whom I do not know but have overheard talking about it.
It would also be unfair not to mention that of the people I know for certain are doing it are some (maybe 1/4 to 1/3) who milk their unemployment for all they can even previous to Covid-19 and would not go back to work until they had exhausted their unemployment benefits.

Okay, fair enough. Thanks. I'm not offended, by the way. All this is just words on a screen.

Up to 20% of the people you know don't want to go back to work? Wow. And in the construction trades? Those are usually paid on piece-work ... I'm not sure how they think that could work.

Thanks for the response. I still have the problems noted with your source and with the way the thread's discussion is proceeding. You may be a centrist, but, not all respondents are. ETA: BUT YOU TRIED TO RESPOND FACTUALLY, and I deeply appreciate that.

We have to base our understandings on facts, the best we can find. We are embedded in a media-space that tries to divide us along simplistic lines 24/7.

Thanks.
edit on 20-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: NOted

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

My college student neice was working at a restaurant which closed and got a huge raise with the unemployment. They're re-opening soon and she's happily going back to work. Many would rather rot at home, with no care to their future employability.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

My friends husband has been having to do double shifts because his boss at his 2nd job is collecting unemployment rather than work and keeps scheduling him on days he isn't supposed to work.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I have a friend that is only months from age 65.

Yes he is on unemployment and getting the $600 a week. He is not going back to work.

His employer has been trying to get rid of him, so they can hire cheaper younger employees.

When the company laid him off he had a computer copy of all his leads for sales and has them at home on a flash drive.

The people he was doing sales to trust him more than the company he was working for and that was the only reasons he was still working for them.

When he retires he will move from Calif to Texas and go right back to work in his own company with his wife as the on paper boss.

And use his sales leads.

He does not believe his old company will survive, and he plans to take their place in a very business friendly state of Texas.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Quote from : GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

What gets in my craw is so many people who are making more on unemployment than they do working want to moan and groan about how much they make at their jobs but do nothing to try to better their situations. Many seem to think that if someone makes more money than them it is only because they've never known hardship. They can't seem to grasp that the majority of people who are better off financially got there through busting their asses and sacrificing for YEARS to get where they are now. The sense of entitlement is disheartening.

I hope you aren't thinking that I'm bemoaning my crappy income because unemployment benefits and a stimulus check has me flush with cash at the moment. I out right own everything I have, car, home, property and I owe nothing to anyone but some monthly insurance, property taxes and utility bills. I'm on 40 wooded acres and heat with a wood stove, I use so little propane that the gas company wants to charge me for using their tank because I rarely fill it.

I get by on little, pay all my taxes and don't expect much from some employer. I work to do a job and do it as well as I can, regardless of what that work might be and how much it pays. I never ask for a raise and many times I don't even ask what the hours are and what it will pay. My supervisor actually made me take a vacation day, I seriously don't know what a vacation is anymore, I insisted that day was my problem. When they made me employee of the month I got pissed, smiled and politely said I was speechless. I didn't want my mug on the company website, I hate that the most.

Personally I don't give a damn about the company and their corporate culture or their pension plans and health insurance benefits, I'm there to do a job, and by damn, come hell or the corona virus, I'm going to be there, on time and getting it done. Screw them and everyone else, it's about personal responsibility and owning it.

Sorry for that mini rant, but I want to be perfectly clear about this. I think that the unemployment office is completely off it's rocker, totally opposite of my past dealings with them, I think they are playing loose with the benefits and are screwing up. However, I will except my current situation as a blessing, as it obviously is, and give about two turds when I'm back to earning my normal budgetary needs.
edit on 22-5-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson

so when big companies milk the system its all good, no punishment.

when the poor do it, its the bane of society.

$15 per hour is $600 a week. no wonder they are trying to milk the system is they make so little to begin with.

Actually, it is $600 on top of the regular State unemployment. For example, "Under unemployment, you could qualify for the maximum unemployment benefit in New York of $504 per week in addition to an extra $600 per week for 13 week"

So more like $1100 per week or $4,400 per month. Closer to like $90K per year.
www.google.com...

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Nah dude, that wasn't about you at all. It was about the entitled 5hit5 that think they should make as much as a CEO without the education, skills, knowledge or seniority because they 'deserve" it but don't want to put in the effort to get there.

posted on May, 22 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I was fairly certain that was your attitude, I just had to be clear in case others came out of the wood work. Thanks for the reply.

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I guess we don't have to wonder how these people will vote, huh?

posted on May, 23 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

The $600 boost started in April and lasts until the end of July. You might want to adjust your calculations.

So, what? $8,400 or so? Does that go far in New York?

And it is taxable.

edit on 5/23/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join