It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Mnuchin: Employees Who Reject Offer To Resume Work Ineligible For Unemployment

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormson
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

so when big companies milk the system its all good, no punishment.

when the poor do it, its the bane of society.

$15 per hour is $600 a week. no wonder they are trying to milk the system is they make so little to begin with.

It's nobody's fault but their own if they're working a minimum wage job. The businesses y'all love to bitch about are the ones paying our bills and giving us a chance to earn our keep. If you can do better then get out there and do it. Crying isn't going to get you anywhere.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm curious, do you have actual sources you could share that outline who and where all these workers are that refuse to go back to work when an employer calls them back? Is it state-specific, is it clustered in certain industries, etc?

I'm not asking here for "we all know it's happening" I'd like to see what specific data you're referring to when you say things like companies "are in compliance with CDC recs and can't get employees off the sofa"?

Thanks.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

What are you gonna do about lightning? Hell, sunlight (or conversely the lack thereof) is a health risk. Getting in or out of the bathtub is a risk. Trying to baby-proof the entire world might make you feel better, but you are still at risk. ALWAYS. If it overwhelms you to realize that fact you'd better get in the house and lock the door for good.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   

If you're scared of this, wear a mask and/or start thinking independently and turn the media off. You'll stop being so afraid.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You always have the right to seek employment elsewhere.

You're being unrealistic. Unemployment is at 20% right now. People are out of work because the virus closed their business down.

I have explained that if businesses are not in compliance with mandates you can report them and if proven unemployment benefits would NOT be cut off. Your argument is redundant.

As I have explained to you, the CDC guidelines leave safety mandates at the discretion of the employers. That's a cop out, that doesn't leave the discretion of having a safe workplace up to the employees.

The purpose of the unemployment insurance was to keep employees home until the work place was safe, not to force people to go back to unsafe work environments to avoid actually paying out those insurance benefits.

edit on 20-5-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Apropos of nothing in particular, if you notice here, you have a very complex situation (different states in different categories of their infection curves, worker democraphics, etc.) that is being reduced here to the most simplistic proposition:

Either you go back to work (regardless of any conserns) or you're a worthless, lazy scaredy-cat.

Easy, black-and-white, you either get on board with the plan or you're an enemy.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So what's the difference between going to work and getting sick from this as opposed to getting the flu on any other year? Actually, this one is better because if I have any symptoms at all, my employer mandates I stay home until free and clear of it by test.

Either way, I went to work and got an illness and my place of work failed to create an environment sterile enough to prevent it.
edit on 20-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There is a vaccine for the flu, a lot of herd immunity and known outcomes and treatments. This novel virus is still very mysterious, there is little to no herd immunity, no vaccine or known treatments. It's more contagious than the flu.

This isn't the time to be cavalier with other people's lives.

edit on 20-5-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I have any symptoms at all, my employer mandates I stay home until free and clear of it by test.
Cool. How does that work with COVID?

An interesting point, but it isn't exactly the same situation, is it?

If you bring flu home from the office, the risk for your parents is not quite the same as that presented by COVID, is it?

edit on 5/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Many of these comparisons pointed to the perhaps underappreciated toll of the flu, which causes millions of illnesses and tens of thousands of deaths every year in the U.S. alone. (During the current flu season, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that there have been 39 million to 56 million flu illnesses and 24,000 to 62,000 flu deaths in the U.S., although that number is an estimate based on hospitalizations with flu symptoms, not based on actually counting up every person who has died of flu.)

The new coronavirus disease, COVID-19, has caused more than 1.4 million illnesses and 85,000 deaths in the U.S. as of May 14, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

Source

(Cue incessant damning the source, mentions of Gates/Soros, wailing about leftists, etc.)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

If YOUR state is not making businesses comply you need to take that up with them. I do not make the rules for your state. Most states are requiring businesses comply with CDC guidelines. If yours is not perhaps you should reconsider where you choose to live if you are that afraid.

It's ironic though, one of our daughters got a job working from home on her computer right in the middle of her state's lock down. Starting pay is $12 per hour and she didn't have to worry about a babysitter. What is preventing you from doing the same? Is it because it doesn't pay as much as unemployment?

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The flu is still an upper respiratory disease and it still presents the greatest risk to those who are older and have underlying health conditions and tends to kill them in the highest numbers every year. The biggest difference is that this one is leaving the youngest more or less untouched which is a change over the flu.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:58 PM
link   

If YOUR state is not making businesses comply you need to take that up with them.

The CDC guidelines come from the federal government. State and local health departments follow CDC and OSHA guidelines. This is the United States of America. Life and safety aren't worth more in one state than in another. An airline passenger in New York doesn't have more or less rights/protections when they fly into Dallas.

This is 14th Amendment stuff.

link   

originally posted by: theatreboy

originally posted by: DanDanDat
So now the government has realized that fear mongering can not be undone?

No. They just did a small scale test to see much control they have built.

Never let a crisis go to waste.

2nd line.

link   

There are also flu vaccines. Which offer a level of protection not available for COVID.

Are flu infections often asymptomatic? Can your employer send you home if you have no symptoms?

edit on 5/20/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Looking for any hard data to back up the claims being made here ... I went back to the OP's source: The Daily Wire.

Steve Mnuchin: Employees Who Reject Offer To Resume Work Ineligible For Unemployment - Daily Wire

Unsurprisingly, there's no hard data provided there either, which turns this into an opinion piece.

Phrases like "With more reports surfacing ... " and "which has incentivized some to avoid returning to work" and "the disparity (in wages and unemployment benefits) may lead to widespread economic consequences" it's not hard to see that we aren't talking facts, we're talking ideology.

Which "reports?" Who are these people "incentivized"? The whole thing depends on conditional phrases "may" "might" "could have."

It's an editorial structured to evoke the dog-whistle responses you see here.

People are too lazy to work.

Public benefits makes people lazy.

Employers good; workers bad.

LOL
edit on 20-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The extra $600 per week is going to expire at the end of July. I bet it won't be extended.

Here in Illinois, if you had to care for a child because their school was closed, you could receive unemployment too. I'm not sure if that's going to end once the normal school year would have ended.

Once that ends, people will go back to work but there won't be enough jobs.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The government wants us to respond to WHATEVER THEY SAY.

Two months ago they told us to stay home to avoid massive death.

Now, (of course, split along party lines), half of us are told magically to go back to work, no worries, and the other half are told to stay at home beause there's still GREEEAT DANGER.

What's the common factor here ... take off the red or blue lenses for a minute:

You can trust your government. Stay home, go back to work, twist and shout.

Meanwhile, so many citizens do their jobs for them, spreading the narrative, no critical thought, no insistence on data or fact-based sources.
edit on 20-5-2020 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

(post by tanstaafl removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Considering you can start shedding flu virus for up to 24 hours before you start showing symptoms, you tell me. The term for that is pre-symptomatic, but you are fully contagious before you start feeling the illness at all, same with asymptomatic COVID-19.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join