It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Mnuchin: Employees Who Reject Offer To Resume Work Ineligible For Unemployment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

Like I said, the question didn't go away and it wasn't changed to "unless worried about infection."

No change here. And this is Hawaii, not known for being harsh on employees.

In any case, if an employer wants to just say "yes", there isn't much to stop them from doing so. I don't see how there can be any serious enforcement. Never was before.

edit on 5/19/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It was a strange situation. Some employers genuinely felt bad in some cases because their employees were actually prevented from working. So I know some employers have done what they can to keep all of theirs afloat as best they can. But now that the tables are turning, I hate the idea that some of those employees may be returning the favor by being turd buckets in return.

I kind of feel bad for them. Once the money is cut off they may find that they have been replaced with those who want to work or even that their former positions no longer exist. They are playing a game and sometimes when you play you lose.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Not sure why this would even be news IF:

The place of employment is compliant with whatever the CDC and state / local have advised vis a vie worker protection.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

The place of employment is compliant with whatever the CDC and state / local have advised vis a vie worker protection.

It shouldn't be an issue at all, but when you can sit at home and make more money than if you went to work a lot of people would prefer to stay home and will use any excuse to do so.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   

It shouldn't be an issue at all, but when you can sit at home and make more money than if you went to work a lot of people would prefer to stay home and will use any excuse to do so.

Nothing new there, either.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: rickymouse

And unfortunately, there will soon be lots of potential employees because there are plenty of people out of work through no fault of their own right now.

If you had a job and you think you can milk it for pay while staying at home, then I foresee you will soon be traded in for a newer and more willing worker.

Supposedly there is some funding to fund the payroll for people to stay at home if they are afraid in this state, but the state is broke....so don't count your chicken before they are hatched, and on top of that, it will take a cash strapped business trying to open a month to get reimbursed....they cannot afford that most times. I know of a lot of small businesses that will be closing around here, some are restaurants with great home cooked meals at reasonable prices. They will not make it through this sadly. Some small builders will not be able to make a profit on jobs they already bid....because of the cost of the excess covid regulations. They will be going out of business. There will be lots of people out of work around here, and with builders, you cannot be wearing safety glasses and a mask when cutting boards on a hot day, it fogs up the safety glasses. The regulations our governor are imposing are not practical on some things.

I would be quitting my business if I was still working and moving to a different state. Or, I would just downsize and work on my own. I would hate to have bid jobs and have thousands of bucks in expenses added to the mix, remember, lots of jobs require two guys to work together, no social distancing possible, either masks or safety glasses, but not both.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk
a reply to: rickymouse

When this all started the hubs was offered the option of taking a furlough. We discussed it and he decided not to in the end. Those who stayed working are still working, those who chose to stay home may not have a job to go back to because there isn't as much work as there was previously due to the current state of the economy- which may take quite a while to bounce back, and it may take years to get back to a pre-Covid economy.

So very true. A lot of people lost their jobs, the ones who stayed working are probably going to keep their jobs. Maybe some who chose the layoff, if they were good, will get called back, but those who stayed have the best chance.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Disclaimer: Long post. Longest post if seen on this board in a minute. This one is a story about a real time small business fighting for life, and the struggle of myself to reconcile the views expressed on this thread with the reality of those who live in the poverty zone.

I then realize that this community's head is not looking at reality, but is LITERALLY up it's own ass because it's sh*t is THAT good. I then eviscerate the thread. You won't like it. But I lose all respect for ATS user opinion about halfway through, so I don't give a damn about how you feel. You've been warned.

You guys are out of touch with the lower class, which is common on ATS. Let one of them enlighten you.

I worked for Arbor Brewing Company and was laid off at the end of January, with no notice. Stabbed in the back by my boss (a Progressive), who wanted to pad his bottom line because he knew this was coming since December, and wanted to get, "ahead of the ball."

Luckily I am an autist, and noticed my bosses hostile intent (gotta love the subtle sense of observation) in mid-March last year, and scooped up a part time gig washing dishes at The Bomber restaurant. I had been a patron there for years, and was on friendly terms with all the employees AND the owner (who, as fate would have it, was my neighbor for half a decade w/o my knowing who she was.)

This story is about her, and The Bomber as a surviving business entity, and THE BACK OF HOUSE CREW. The Arbor bit was for context, and to show the attitude of my citizens (exceptional) as opposed to the curs of Ann Arbor (paper-doll-progressive.) Oh yeah, Arbor Brewing will either die or close it's Ann Arbor and Plymouth stores. They have 3 stores total, and the Ann Arbor store was home base. Karma's a bitch, Dave.

Anywho, as added note, my exceptional work ethic and whimsical charm garnered MUCH favor with the owner, and my employees at large. This culminated in my getting my sister a job there. Important because if me and Owner are cool, my sis and Owner became besties. Relevant because my sister is...

... working with Owner to keep The Bomber afloat! And this fight, for Owners SURVIVAL (shes 100% invested in the business) is absolutely brutal. She can only afford to be open 3 days a week, for 5 hours each (Fri-Sun, 8am-1pm.)

Grubhub (which my sister started and is spearheading) is SUPPOSED to take 28%, but through "human error" is gouging her at about 40%. They are fighting this. Besides Grubhub, there is only carryout. They are keeping it open, but the idea of profit is laughable. Owner has bills... and can't afford the consequences of being unemployed.

Provided Queen Whitmir doesn't extend it ( ... ), lockdown ends on the 28th, if memory serves. So she'll HAVE TO open, as Owner likes living in her house and all that. 100% certainty that capacity will be limited to some pathetic amount, and seating will be just as stupid. So that'll double the amount of people she has to pay... will the retarded (literal def) capacity numbers allow Owner to even meet this new increase in overhead. What about money for bills?

This is the story that everyone knows is happening everywhere. And here's what you all appear to not understand. A lot of the service industries will start off at reduced labor cap, which means only so many people can come back right away. Owner is a model employer in the sense that she won't rest until her flock is back to work, in it's entirety. No backstabbery like Dickhead Dave. But not immediately. She can't, it's ILLEGAL

And as I am part time help, I am last in line. I could argue and fight for this $12/hr job (I negotiated a $2.50 raise a month in. Channeled my inner Trump) but it would cost another autist, who has not faired as well as I in the social department, everything. Or I can steal the job of a sixty year old man who wasn't even able to collect unemployment. Or I can steal a job as a cook, and leave a felon without hope of finding another job.

Or I can not be a monster who predates on his own people, and stay on UI instead. I have work 2-3 jobs at a time for a decade now. I paid my god damned taxes, like all of you. I am not robbing you. I am getting the money stolen from me back from the state.

I am projected to have all my debt, minus the student loans (bit the apple, foolish boy) and have my car checked out and worked on by mid-June.

By the end of my UI, I will be projected to have medical benifits, for the first time in my adult life. I have not been to ANY medical/dental professional since I stopped being a ward of the State at 17 (13 years ago.)

I will have money saved for a trade school when they finally open, and have finacial padding in the meantime. REAL financial padding, for the first time IN MY ENTIRE F*CKING LIFE. I will, in effect, be out of poverty by July 28th.

So I can be socially acceptable to the people of this thread, who's # understanding of their own people has them hating on their disenfranchised brethren, instead of helping them organize and use this to rise out of the swamp. Or I can be free of the incessant hell of not knowing if I'll be financially viable in two months, and be ready to invest in a job that will allow me to start a family and buy a home of my own.

There are MILLIONS who are where I am at, and feel how I feel. We WANT OUT OF THE SWAMP. How many of you have even known poverty. Well, you forgot how it stunts the growth of a human beings core attributes. Stops one from being great. You forget the face of your mother and father. Repulsive. Ignominous.

As smart as the users on ATS are, time and time again I am reminded how thoroughly out of touch this forum is with a class of people that LARGELY outnumber them. Thoroughly out of touch with most Americans. Like Progressives, you have created a womb where you are somehow above these "unwashed masses", instead of being in reality where we live and work together.

It's overwhelmingly obvious why we are at this precipitous time in American. Read the comments on this thread. Are you being there for these people? Are you helping your fellow brother and sister? If this thread stands for how you all feel, then the majority of you have the same superiority complex as the State itself. You reinforce the divide between peoples in the real world so you can feel above it all with your ATS buddies.

None of you are facing the problems besetting our country with an attitude of doing something about it. This place is a safe space where you pretend to do something when all you're doing is listening to yourselves talk and patting each others backs. Echo chamber

Utterly dispicible. You all aren't solving SHlT. And if you attitude doesn't change, that's the best you'll do as far as making any real change. A community that could so easily create organized systems to help those around you, but instead it's just become a place to validate NOT doing anything.

I think the ATS community is broken on a fundamental level. Just like the society around us. Part of the program. No longer buying into this clownshow. DENY IGNORANCE

The End

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Ummm...I can guarantee you...that they are not compliant...

I started back to work yesterday...only to find that my employer...the business owner...has done zero compliance...and zero mitigation...

No masks on the other employees...the owner with no mask...absolutely no disinfecting...only one small 6 0z bottle of hand sanitizer supplied...by one of the employees...the owner vocally encouraging customers to not wear masks...

The employee at the other end of the sales counter who’s old lady is a known meth addict and drug dealer...with no mask with a fan blowing in my direction...jawboning with another customer who had no mask...both talking into this fan that’s blowing their exhalations over me and my lunch as I’m trying to eat...we traditionally eat our lunch there at the POS because thems the rules...no official lunch break...

Obviously that’s about change for me at least...

It’s funny how I’ve got an appointment this morning...with the county health board...

See...I want to work...and was initially excited to be back at it...

My question is...how am I possibly able to protect my family...from that...?

I’m so pissed off right now...I just want to break something...

I suppose I’ll update after I have my appointment...

YouSir
edit on 20-5-2020 by YouSir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Unemployment benefits are insane right now.

Last year when I was legit unemployed for a couple months, the unemployment agency didn't verify my claim until I was back to work and I got way less than my normal pay. I had to apply for other jobs I didn't want while temporarily laid off and jump through other hoops as well.

Now with the shut down, I didn't need to apply for other jobs and I got the money in less than a week. When I calculated what I would be making an hour if I was still working the same hours and would have been making around $26.67 per hour.

I started back to work a little over two weeks ago and had to report this to unemployment. I thought the gravy train ride was over and I was back to getting my puny 30 hours per week paycheck from here out. Nope, they approved my claim and if I add my paycheck with the unemployment benefits I'm making around $33.35 per hour. I never had a job that paid that much in my life, esp when I don't mind doing the work, not to mention on a short shift.

ETA: This isn't including the $1,200 stimulus I got as well.

Completely insane how this is working out, not that I'm complaining.
edit on 20-5-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Where I work, when this first all went down, we all signed up for unemployment. The owner called everyone to be sure that it was all going ok. He heard nightmare after nightmare about not being able to get through, being refused benefits, etc. He decided that he would put everyone back on payroll and try for the ppp loan. Fortunately, we received it. It covered the six weeks we were all off and the money left over he divided up into bonuses for people who came in through the shutdown to work on essential projects. We are a custom metal fabricating shop with about 18 employees. We have a few customers who are essential, so that in turn made us essential for their projects.

We only had 1 employee that bitched about being able to get more on unemployment. Everyone else was grateful that we have a boss with a heart. He cared more about our well being that the risk he was taking by covering our payrolls without knowing if he would get the loan. He never once threatened our health benefits either.

So today the bonuses were distributed through payroll....talk about some happy campers. We kinda surprised them all with it and a couple guys came in and asked if I made a mistake on payroll. Lol. After I explained what it was, I thought a couple of them were going to cry. The largest bonus was $3500 and the lowest was $500. It was based on if they came back in when called (some were called back in and refused for a week or two before agreeing to come back on May 4th) and how many hours they worked during the shutdown.

I have the best boss ever. I have been here 21 years and don't plan to go anywhere until I retire.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Correct. They even state it on their website. In a state near me:

Work search is not required at this time. The requirement for claimants filing for reemployment assistance benefits to look for work has been waived and will remain in effect until the Governor’s state of emergency ends.

When filing your weekly request for payment and you are asked, “Did you make contacts for employment as instructed?” Claimants should select, “no” and write “not required” in the comment box.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: WorldUnderCeej
Disclaimer: Long post. Longest post if seen on this board in a minute. This one is a story about a real time small business fighting for life, and the struggle of myself to reconcile the views expressed on this thread with the reality of those who live in the poverty zone.

I then realize that this community's head is not looking at reality, but is LITERALLY up it's own ass because it's sh*t is THAT good. I then eviscerate the thread. You won't like it. But I lose all respect for ATS user opinion about halfway through, so I don't give a damn about how you feel. You've been warned.

You guys are out of touch with the lower class, which is common on ATS. Let one of them enlighten you.

I worked for Arbor Brewing Company and was laid off at the end of January, with no notice. Stabbed in the back by my boss (a Progressive), who wanted to pad his bottom line because he knew this was coming since December, and wanted to get, "ahead of the ball."

Luckily I am an autist, and noticed my bosses hostile intent (gotta love the subtle sense of observation) in mid-March last year, and scooped up a part time gig washing dishes at The Bomber restaurant. I had been a patron there for years, and was on friendly terms with all the employees AND the owner (who, as fate would have it, was my neighbor for half a decade w/o my knowing who she was.)

This story is about her, and The Bomber as a surviving business entity, and THE BACK OF HOUSE CREW. The Arbor bit was for context, and to show the attitude of my citizens (exceptional) as opposed to the curs of Ann Arbor (paper-doll-progressive.) Oh yeah, Arbor Brewing will either die or close it's Ann Arbor and Plymouth stores. They have 3 stores total, and the Ann Arbor store was home base. Karma's a bitch, Dave.

Anywho, as added note, my exceptional work ethic and whimsical charm garnered MUCH favor with the owner, and my employees at large. This culminated in my getting my sister a job there. Important because if me and Owner are cool, my sis and Owner became besties. Relevant because my sister is...

... working with Owner to keep The Bomber afloat! And this fight, for Owners SURVIVAL (shes 100% invested in the business) is absolutely brutal. She can only afford to be open 3 days a week, for 5 hours each (Fri-Sun, 8am-1pm.)

Grubhub (which my sister started and is spearheading) is SUPPOSED to take 28%, but through "human error" is gouging her at about 40%. They are fighting this. Besides Grubhub, there is only carryout. They are keeping it open, but the idea of profit is laughable. Owner has bills... and can't afford the consequences of being unemployed.

Provided Queen Whitmir doesn't extend it ( ... ), lockdown ends on the 28th, if memory serves. So she'll HAVE TO open, as Owner likes living in her house and all that. 100% certainty that capacity will be limited to some pathetic amount, and seating will be just as stupid. So that'll double the amount of people she has to pay... will the retarded (literal def) capacity numbers allow Owner to even meet this new increase in overhead. What about money for bills?

This is the story that everyone knows is happening everywhere. And here's what you all appear to not understand. A lot of the service industries will start off at reduced labor cap, which means only so many people can come back right away. Owner is a model employer in the sense that she won't rest until her flock is back to work, in it's entirety. No backstabbery like Dickhead Dave. But not immediately. She can't, it's ILLEGAL

And as I am part time help, I am last in line. I could argue and fight for this $12/hr job (I negotiated a $2.50 raise a month in. Channeled my inner Trump) but it would cost another autist, who has not faired as well as I in the social department, everything. Or I can steal the job of a sixty year old man who wasn't even able to collect unemployment. Or I can steal a job as a cook, and leave a felon without hope of finding another job.

Or I can not be a monster who predates on his own people, and stay on UI instead. I have work 2-3 jobs at a time for a decade now. I paid my god damned taxes, like all of you. I am not robbing you. I am getting the money stolen from me back from the state.

I am projected to have all my debt, minus the student loans (bit the apple, foolish boy) and have my car checked out and worked on by mid-June.

By the end of my UI, I will be projected to have medical benifits, for the first time in my adult life. I have not been to ANY medical/dental professional since I stopped being a ward of the State at 17 (13 years ago.)

I will have money saved for a trade school when they finally open, and have finacial padding in the meantime. REAL financial padding, for the first time IN MY ENTIRE F*CKING LIFE. I will, in effect, be out of poverty by July 28th.

So I can be socially acceptable to the people of this thread, who's # understanding of their own people has them hating on their disenfranchised brethren, instead of helping them organize and use this to rise out of the swamp. Or I can be free of the incessant hell of not knowing if I'll be financially viable in two months, and be ready to invest in a job that will allow me to start a family and buy a home of my own.

There are MILLIONS who are where I am at, and feel how I feel. We WANT OUT OF THE SWAMP. How many of you have even known poverty. Well, you forgot how it stunts the growth of a human beings core attributes. Stops one from being great. You forget the face of your mother and father. Repulsive. Ignominous.

As smart as the users on ATS are, time and time again I am reminded how thoroughly out of touch this forum is with a class of people that LARGELY outnumber them. Thoroughly out of touch with most Americans. Like Progressives, you have created a womb where you are somehow above these "unwashed masses", instead of being in reality where we live and work together.

It's overwhelmingly obvious why we are at this precipitous time in American. Read the comments on this thread. Are you being there for these people? Are you helping your fellow brother and sister? If this thread stands for how you all feel, then the majority of you have the same superiority complex as the State itself. You reinforce the divide between peoples in the real world so you can feel above it all with your ATS buddies.

None of you are facing the problems besetting our country with an attitude of doing something about it. This place is a safe space where you pretend to do something when all you're doing is listening to yourselves talk and patting each others backs. Echo chamber

Utterly dispicible. You all aren't solving SHlT. And if you attitude doesn't change, that's the best you'll do as far as making any real change. A community that could so easily create organized systems to help those around you, but instead it's just become a place to validate NOT doing anything.

I think the ATS community is broken on a fundamental level. Just like the society around us. Part of the program. No longer buying into this clownshow. DENY IGNORANCE

The End

That was harsh....and the generic assumptions......false. There are many here on ATS that have known true poverty. We all get it. And our threads and posts prove it. You can get your point across without dissing everyone.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Exactly, this thread is about people who now have the chance to go back to what they were doing before and choose not to because they can make more at the moment not doing it.

Yeah, some people were in crappy situations before with crap bosses or jobs, but not all were. Some even had pretty good bosses who bent over backward to do their best to try to pull everyone they had through, and this is how they're repaying that care - by whining about not wanting to get sick and demanding their jobs be held for them while they milk the higher unemployment pay.

This is about government having helped create a situation that is complicating the return to work on many levels, not just the issue of more pay to sit on your butt.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: WorldUnderCeej

Not sure whom you are addressing here, but as it is my thread I will step up and reply.

You seem to be awful judgey of people whom you consider to not understand the "lower class" and have an enormous chip on your shoulder about it. You keep mentioning that you are an "autist" like it gives you some kind of Yoda-like wisdom. I assure you it does not.

Almost everyone around here has had hard times. Everyone! My husband was homeless and lived in a tent for over six weeks. I have had all of my utilities cut off, my vehicle re-po'd and had the sheriff's department at my door serving eviction papers more times than I can count due to an ex-husband that went on crack binges every time we finally got our heads above water, and with two small children to boot.

If you are out of work through no fault of your own then this thread does not apply to you. It applies to those who refuse to go back to work DESPITE the fact that their employers have followed everything recommended by the CDC for safe re-opening because they are making more money sitting on their backsides than going back to work.

If you and others are not happy with the amount of money you make at your job that is nobody's fault but your own. The absolute most I personally have ever made in hourly pay is $11.50 per hour- and here you are crying and saying how "out of touch with reality" everyone is when you are making $12!

Nobody here has a problem with people drawing unemployment benefits legitimately. Let's say that again- LEGITIMATELY! But don't expect people to cry for you or anyone else because they don't make more working than they are receiving in unemployment benefits because that implies that either you (not personally, but "you" meaning anyone in general) are undervaluing yourself and accepting jobs that are beneath your skill levels OR that you lack the skills required to make more and are doing nothing to better your own situations.

If you are working to better your situation then good for you! But once you get into that position and someone starts crying to you how unfair it is that you make more than they do without putting in the work to make their own situation any better you might still have some pity for them, but I promise it will not be the same level of pity you have now.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Someone let me know if we get any of the $500 Billion socialist grant to businesses back before I worry too awfully much about a few million that goes into the pockets of working people and right back into their local economies.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Please DO update after your appointment! If your place of employment isn't doing what is necessary to keep you safe then they should not be allowed to be open.

I don't think anyone has a problem with people drawing unemployment benefits for legitimate reasons. The only problem that I personally have is with people whose employers have bent over backwards to adhere to the CDC's safety recommendations and yet still refuse to return to work because they'd rather keep sitting at home collecting a check- and that IS happening.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Best part of an office type job in tech these days, a lot of places are not going to re-open offices. Remote work is more cost effective for the employer, and most employees are more efficient in their work. Then again for the most part all of us have been working this entire time. I've had several recruiters reach out to me as well, because my industry is booming right now, all of those jobs have been 100% remote work. It's a pretty good time to be in tech I suppose.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

That is whackadoodle! I'm glad you've been able to get back to work. Many people aren't going to have a job to go back to unfortunately. We have been fortunate that the hubs has been able to stay working through all of this. I haven't worked in a couple of years so this hasn't affected me one way or the other.

What gets in my craw is so many people who are making more on unemployment than they do working want to moan and groan about how much they make at their jobs but do nothing to try to better their situations. Many seem to think that if someone makes more money than them it is only because they've never known hardship. They can't seem to grasp that the majority of people who are better off financially got there through busting their asses and sacrificing for YEARS to get where they are now. The sense of entitlement is disheartening.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

Best part of an office type job in tech these days, a lot of places are not going to re-open offices. Remote work is more cost effective for the employer, and most employees are more efficient in their work. Then again for the most part all of us have been working this entire time. I've had several recruiters reach out to me as well, because my industry is booming right now, all of those jobs have been 100% remote work. It's a pretty good time to be in tech I suppose.

Two of our daughters and one of our sons-in-law are all working from home doing their jobs on-line. In fact one of the daughters just started with the company in the middle of the lock downs. The job they do has always been a remote, work from home job so they are not affected by any of the closings. The only thing that has changed is before they had weekly, in-person meetings and now they do Zoom meetings instead- and the company has decided to continue this even after the lock downs have been lifted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join