It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dams Fail in Central Michigan; Evacuations Underway

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker
You beat me to posting that!

Cited for failure to make repairs since 2004!!
How did they keep getting away with that???

ETA
Looks like they were in the process of selling it to a group that wanted to fix it....

edit on Wed May 20 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtrenthacker

originally posted by: HalWesten
Our team has WebEx meetings every morning, I'll find out more details then because half the team live in this area, some are in the evacuation zones so they may not be on the call.

Same here. I just got off the morning standup with my team a couple hours ago. Everyone is accounted for but unfortunately some have flooded houses and a couple have lost power. One co-worker lives on Wixom Lake. He said yesterday everyone was losing their boats as the lake was rising and then once the dam let loose, it's down over 8 ft. He used to have lake front property. Now it's about 300' of muck.

You're just down the road from me. We should meet up one of these days for coffee.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Follow the Money usually ... For Instance ..... I am sure if you looked close enough into it you'd find some mighty corruption at work .... What a horribly ran state (has been for decades)

say it isn't so

edit on 5202020 by MetalThunder because: Q on

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:01 AM
link   
That rain sure caused a lot of flooding around here, esp near the rivers. My swamp crested after the stream rose above the culvert about four inches. It was clear of any blockage and had a good whirlpool going. If you got sucked into that, you'd have been done for. I had a 3ft wide running steam on the road from that culvert to the next way down the road, fun to have to navigate while driving.

The local dam was full and choppy as hell and splashing over the spillway. The problems over by Midland would seem minor if our dam failed. The water on my road has subsided, but all that water in my water shed is going forcefully toward the river. Has me worried.

Midland does have some huge "brine" ponds right next to the river (of course) and down stream to Bay City (a fairly dirty town) then lastly Saginaw bay that will get screwed royally by the polluted deluge.
edit on 20-5-2020 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Can we get a refund on 2020? Sheesh.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
That rain sure caused a lot of flooding around here, esp near the rivers. My swamp crested after the stream rose above the culvert about four inches. It was clear of any blockage and had a good whirlpool going. If you got sucked into that, you'd have been done for. I had a 3ft wide running steam on the road from that culvert to the next way down the road, fun to have to navigate while driving.

The local dam was full and choppy as hell and splashing over the spillway. The problems over by Midland would seem minor if our dam failed. The water on my road has subsided, but all that water in my water shed is going forcefully toward the river. Has me worried.

Midland does have some huge "brine" ponds right next to the river (of course) and down stream to Bay City (a fairly dirty town) then lastly Saginaw bay that will get screwed royally by the polluted deluge.

Are you referring to the Hardy Dam?

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Sure thing.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Are you familiar with the Four Lakes Task force, and their attempt to fix decades of inattention to the water system by Boyce Hydro??

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Vaguely, I didn't keep up on it while it was ongoing.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Oh man I read the post heading too quickly and I thought it said "Dems Fail in Central Michigan; Evacuations Underway "

edit on 20-5-2020 by ZERGDOGG because: miss spelling

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ZERGDOGG

I did the same yesterday... that thread will probably happen in the next few weeks, so be patient.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZERGDOGG
Oh man I read the post heading too quickly and I thought it said "Dems Fail in Central Michigan; Evacuations Underway "

The Dems evacuated central Michigan many years ago. Southeast Michigan is, sadly, another story entirely.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Midland County closed roads

Ok, here is a current map of the road closures in and around Midland. Can someone tell me how to embed a photo so I don't have to keep posting links? The "instructions" aren't much help.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Willing to bet this could have been averted with proper planning.

....like, attention to infrastructure?

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
FWIW, the damis privately owned, and had cited for decades.
The last document I found was dated April 28th, dealing with new ownership happening.
Maybe things were halted due to the lockdown??

This page has a lot of images of the former Wixom Lake.
www.mlive.com...

edit on Wed May 20 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: Damn autocorrect😈

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: watchitburn

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: FamCore

Bring it on.

Lord knows this state needs something.

But damn if our governor won't blame this on someone else.
Not her fault

It's a racist dam that wants to make her look bad.

Ban assault dams!

Whitmer doesn’t need any help looking bad.

...she has mirrors. Woman looks like someone set Katy Perry's face on fire and stomped it out with a work boot that had ice cleats attached to it...
Ouch!... that is all I can really say to that.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
God Bless you folks and it's super #ty because you will all have to try and 'social distance' and wear masks while you are scrambling .

I am not kidding.

Wishing the best.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
thats what I thought too.

See?

We are programmed! a reply to: ZERGDOGG

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Cmajlz

I know this flood is worse, but would they not have been impacted in the earlier floods, at least 2017???

No, that one was mild in comparison. There was some flooding, sure, but it was much less than this one because the dams and dikes held. There were some roads washed out, but nothing like this one.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The pictures were awful!!!

Is the Sanford Dam still holding?
Some sites say yes, others say no, or they say they aren't sure.

The flood waters, the empty lake bed, the displaced residents.....just heartbreaking.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join