It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dams Fail in Central Michigan; Evacuations Underway

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: Cmajlz
a reply to: HalWesten

Unfortunately the old marketing adage is true even with floods - location, location, location. The 5 inches may only be an average while the range of rainfall may be between 2 inches and 10 inches. It all depends where you are at and, sometimes, which side of the mountain you are on. If your local creek starts to sound like a freight train, run uphill. It's a sound you won't forget.

I'm sure of that. I worked in Midland in 1986 when the last major flood happened. It was awful and 40 miles away we woke up to 3' of water in our yard. We lived in a mobile home at the time between two lakes and it was bad.

The Michigan National Guard has been dispatched to the area and I was just told will be going to Dow Chemical, probably to protect the plants from floods and leaks. They have their work cut out for them.

Given the terrain, I bet that flood was slow to drain. Flood waters must have remained for days.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

Seeing local news is saying 500 year flood. That 1986 was more a 100 year. I know people evacuating.

I just told my husband last week I can't stop dreaming of water everywhere. I guess I know why. This is going to be bad.
edit on 19-5-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Insurance?
Unless you have flood insurance, I doubt there is coverage?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Our team has WebEx meetings every morning, I'll find out more details then because half the team live in this area, some are in the evacuation zones so they may not be on the call.
edit on 19-5-2020 by HalWesten because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Michigan is a "blue" state because of the universities and the cretins it breeds. Otherwise it gets redder and redder as you leave these #holes. The population of these few cities swings this otherwise red state blue. Thus why it swung red in 2016.

And I doubt you'll find more than 5 (one handful) of Michigan Democrats on this site. So this call for us to "vote them out" is asinine. Your shouting in the wind. What do you want us to do, vote twice. None of us voted for these people.

Shows complete ignorance of the political sitiation. Sounding like the god damn university foreigners who think they understand my state's political situation with a confidence that is both false and unearned. The mass of you on this thread don't know dick, and your weak-ass comments that add nothing to this thread show that.

These dams failing has VERY LITTLE, if nothing, to do with politics. This whole spring has been abnormally rainy, and this week in particular. Raining so heavy it wakes you up from deep sleep; but the idiot peanut gallery of ATS only knows how to play the blame game. As if the Dems of my state coordinated a rain dance with Whitmer as the high priest. Get real. Turning this tragedy into a political hit piece has you sounding and acting just like them. You should be ashamed; DENY IGNORANCE

To my fellow Statesmen and Stateswomen; God I hope you and yours are safe. It sounds like they got people evacuated in time, and that's great to hear. I knew there would be flooding, but dams breaking... I can't shake the feeling that this is just the beginning of a volley of disasters hitting our State. We need to start taking care of each other like we have never done before. Things are only going to get worst, and we gotta be ready for that. Be safe, brothers and sisters. Even Whitmer

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: JAGStorm

Insurance?
Unless you have flood insurance, I doubt there is coverage?

There is a lot of flood coverage in this area. A friend's basement flooded in 2017 during that situation and insurance covered almost all of it. I'm sure it's not cheap, but it is available.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WorldUnderCeej
Michigan is a "blue" state because of the universities and the cretins it breeds. Otherwise it gets redder and redder as you leave these #holes. The population of these few cities swings this otherwise red state blue. Thus why it swung red in 2016.

And I doubt you'll find more than 5 (one handful) of Michigan Democrats on this site. So this call for us to "vote them out" is asinine. Your shouting in the wind. What do you want us to do, vote twice. None of us voted for these people.

Shows complete ignorance of the political sitiation. Sounding like the god damn university foreigners who think they understand my state's political situation with a confidence that is both false and unearned. The mass of you on this thread don't know dick, and your weak-ass comments that add nothing to this thread show that.

These dams failing has VERY LITTLE, if nothing, to do with politics. This whole spring has been abnormally rainy, and this week in particular. Raining so heavy it wakes you up from deep sleep; but the idiot peanut gallery of ATS only knows how to play the blame game. As if the Dems of my state coordinated a rain dance with Whitmer as the high priest. Get real. Turning this tragedy into a political hit piece has you sounding and acting just like them. You should be ashamed; DENY IGNORANCE

To my fellow Statesmen and Stateswomen; God I hope you and yours are safe. It sounds like they got people evacuated in time, and that's great to hear. I knew there would be flooding, but dams breaking... I can't shake the feeling that this is just the beginning of a volley of disasters hitting our State. We need to start taking care of each other like we have never done before. Things are only going to get worst, and we gotta be ready for that. Be safe, brothers and sisters. Even Whitmer

Bravo. Another fellow Michigander understands.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten

originally posted by: WorldUnderCeej

Bravo. Another fellow Michigander understands.

Take comfort in knowing that your neighbors throughout this land will come to your aid. Let the people know what you lost. If your schools lost their football gear, other schools will lend a hand. It may not be the best but atleast you can have a season. Same thing with band instruments and uniforms, school supplies, equipment for special needs people. Whatever is lost you will be surprised when the tractor trailers start coming in but you must get the word out. Even with this pandemic people in this country will give. A person in Wal-Mart will give someone who lost everything the shoes they are wearing. Reach out to other areas that have had major flood loses and hear what they did, find out their sources of aid, find out what worked and what didn't. It takes months if not years to recover. Some never do. Especially reach out to those who are not showing any signs. They need it the most. Coordinating aid will be confusing if you are not used to this. Contact disaster coordinators in other States that have experienced this. Especially contact States where their experience is not Hurricane related.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Oh wow this thread got much better! Taking hours to make a post is really starting to become a liability, I may have to cave and get a real phone.

I know from my time doing hardscaping in the downriver area that there's a LOT of clay. Im not sure how it is further north, but soil quality surely played a part here. Can easily increase runoff by poor water absorbtion. Combined with the pavement theory, I can see a dam getting flashflodded.

I gotta check the map after posting and see what industrial zones are in the path of the deluge. This water could become poisoned, and poison the soil and water table of the area. This could become a real ecological catastrophy. It sounds like the 'Ganders on this site are safe. I think it would be prudent for us to find and post relevant news on this disaster.

On an unrelated note, hearing gunfire again in the distance. This is becoming almost a normal thing; at least twice a week, if not more. I really gotta get home defence going ASAP. Getting a gun is going to be a bitch and then some, I may have to get medieval here. I hope this isn't becoming a normal thing in y'alls neck of the woods. Again, be safe!

(post by TDawg61 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WorldUnderCeej

Unfortunately Dow Chemical is straight in it's path....

Edit--- it sits right on the river.
edit on 19-5-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: misfit312

Unfortunately Dow Chemical is straight in it's path....

Edit--- it sits right on the river.

Dow Chemical will have a flood plan. They have prepared for this. Will it be enough? That's the question.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cmajlz

I know this flood is worse, but would they not have been impacted in the earlier floods, at least 2017???

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   

If they're like the federal complex and the industrial complexes down on the flood plain in KC, they'll have massive flood walls that can be shut off.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

I guess that's where you and I (and most Michiganites), disagree. People with your kind of attitude is EXACTLY how the Democrats got a foothold in the cities to begin with. You move out, they take your place. You get comfort, they get power, and the State along with your fellow ex-citizens gets boned in the ass.

Michigan getting it's manufacturing base, and it's economic power, relocated across the globe caused a lot of Reds to leave the cities. It's been like this ever since. Now they keep the cities in a state of decrepitude to scare Reds away. Thus Flint, Saginaw, Detroit, ect.

Yours is a contemptibly poor outlook on being a State citizen; it's cowardly. Your attitude on this is un-American at it's base. You don't abandon your State unless there is no other option. Otherwise you adapt, band together, and strike at the enemy as soon as it is appropriate to do so. I hope like hell that you don't live in Michigan. We have enough fake citizens as it is.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If they're like the federal complex and the industrial complexes down on the flood plain in KC, they'll have massive flood walls that can be shut off.

Where I live there are many plants up and down the river without floodwalls. They are some what elevated but would not be spared in the event of a 100 or 500 year flood. They can't stop the water. However, they must have plans to keep chemicals from leaking, test pumps regularly to see the work, etc. They do train for this and county emergency management works closely with them. In the event of a collapse there is a warning system that should be activated. Keep the radio on as well as the tv.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Not really. Federalism was always intended to provide 50 separate states for people to live in. If an area become badly governed or was not governed to your taste, then you had 49 other potential states to move to. There was never any incentive for you to have to stay in any one place if you didn't want to.

The idea was that federalism allowed localism and minimized the damage done by bad governance because people could always just leave.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

That band of nonstop rain is going to keep churning East. (looks like Upstate NY will get a lot of it too)
I hope people outside of Michigan take note, this could be in their area soon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join