It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Supreme Court election NO vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.independent.co.uk...

Georgia's Republican governor can pick justice's successor after Supreme Court ruling

An election to fill a soon-to-be vacant seat on the Georgia Supreme Court has been cancelled, with it instead ruled that governor Brian Kemp will appoint the justice’s successor for a two year term.

Looks like they watched what happened in Wisconsin. Six of the state’s Supreme Court justices recused themselves, hmm wonder why.
If Corona doesn't get us what happens after November might. Its going to be nuts folks!

edit on 19-5-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.independent.co.uk...

Georgia's Republican governor can pick justice's successor after Supreme Court ruling

An election to fill a soon-to-be vacant seat on the Georgia Supreme Court has been cancelled, with it instead ruled that governor Brian Kemp will appoint the justice’s successor for a two year term.

Looks like they watched what happened in Wisconsin. Six of the state’s Supreme Court justices recused themselves, hmm wonder why.
If Corona doesn't get us what happens after November might. Its going to be nuts folks!

On 14 May, the Georgia Supreme Court voted 6-2 in favour of Mr Kemp choosing the next justice, and dismissed lawsuits from both Mr Barrow and Ms Beskin.

From your linked "article"

You didn't read all the article , did you ?
Just grabbed that GLORIFIED headline.

Denying ignorance .
Why ?
Folks can deny their own ignorance with just a small bit of effort.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Um Yea, that is what I'm talking about, the court voted, NOT the people in an election voting.
Which is why I added this

An election to fill a soon-to-be vacant seat on the Georgia Supreme Court has been cancelled

www.newsweek.com...

Advocates are decrying a ruling from the Georgia Supreme Court this week allowing an appointed justice to invalidate the results of a judicial election, a decision they fear will have far-reaching consequences for democracy in the state.

In a 6-2 decision on Thursday, the justices determined that the upcoming June election for a Supreme Court seat need not be held because the incumbent justice, Keith Blackwell, plans on retiring before the end of the year.

What the problem with people voting? hmmmmmmm lemme guess....... Like I said, they saw what happened in Wisconsin

"Georgia has a constitutional provision that says justices shall be elected," Wade Tomlinson, who represented Barrow at the Supreme Court, told Newsweek. "The court should have used that as a guiding principle. If there was a close call, the benefit of the doubt should have weighed towards giving people the right to vote."

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Um Yea, that is what I'm talking about, the court voted, NOT the people in an election voting.
Which is why I added this

An election to fill a soon-to-be vacant seat on the Georgia Supreme Court has been cancelled

www.newsweek.com...

Advocates are decrying a ruling from the Georgia Supreme Court this week allowing an appointed justice to invalidate the results of a judicial election, a decision they fear will have far-reaching consequences for democracy in the state.

In a 6-2 decision on Thursday, the justices determined that the upcoming June election for a Supreme Court seat need not be held because the incumbent justice, Keith Blackwell, plans on retiring before the end of the year.

What the problem with people voting? hmmmmmmm lemme guess....... Like I said, they saw what happened in Wisconsin

With just a very small bit of extra effort on your part , you could have denied your own ignorance and found out why...
Also , try a Georgia website such as Fox (or any as a matter of fact) over a UK site.

edit on 5/19/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 06:56 PM
link   

edit on 5/19/20 by Gothmog because: wow

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Want local, here ya go

www.ajc.com...

The hotly contested and highly unusual case led six of the state Supreme Court’s justices to remove themselves and be replaced by five Superior Court judges

Trammell, of the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit, took issue with the majority giving more weight to provisions allowing Kemp the appointment. “Because I feel that this denies the people the right to elect their justice as provided by the Constitution, I cannot agree,” she wrote.

I bring this up, because we know if this was the other way around people would be losing their MINDS. They would be saying Cheaters blah blah blah. What is the problem with letting people vote? Just remember this stuff works both ways.

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

im a little confused.

at federal level they have (supposedly) separation of powers though the constitution.

where the legislative, judicial, and executive branches each have separate powers so as they are a check and balance to each other

to prevent tyranny , monarchy, ect.

for a federal territory to become a state they had to agree to follow the constitution and create one for the state using its same framework.. but was not allowed to change the rights and laws it granted.

so this state has as part of its constitution that the supreme court judges are to be elected... be regular or in special cases a special election.

in short its THE LAW.

how is it then the court can on its own authority MAKE LAW that overrides this?

that doesnt seem legal or constitutional.

IMO this needs to be taken up immediately by the federal supreme court .

scrounger

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
So the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that the people aren't allowed to elect any of their membership?

So glad we have conservatives in charge to tell us who's allowed to rule us!

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

No, gothmog says it's totally cool that the state can flaunt its own constitution in favor of allowed the Republican governor the ability to stack the court with more conservatives. Get a grip snowflake!

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
So the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that the people aren't allowed to elect any of their membership?

So glad we have conservatives in charge to tell us who's allowed to rule us!

Can you show me where they ruled people are not allowed to elect any of their membership?

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Next time try a better source.

His decision to resign was irrevocable once accepted by Gov. Brian Kemp, and under Georgia’s Constitution, such vacancies on the state’s high court are filled by the governor, not by voters in an election, the state Supreme Court said in a 6-2 ruling.

www.fox5atlanta.com...

Georgia Constitution has voters vote when a SC term ends, but not for vacancies due to resignations. Once a justice resigns the Governor appoints them. That's the law.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I know people don't bother reading but I will explain what happened.

A Judge was up for re-election in May. He has already handed in his resignation. He will resign before his term ends.

Voters vote for elections when terms end. The governor appoints vacancies. The election is pointless because before his term ends, and anyone else could start, he will have retired. When he retires his term does not complete and it automatically transfers into a 2 year appointed term, so there is no position any longer for the elected judge to fill. This is why the ruling stated an election would be misleading to voters, and legally speaking there is no term to vote for.

top topics

join