It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would be the worst sport to watch without fans

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Yeah this is an opinion piece.

I was thinking that with all these talks of when sports are going to come back, I guess UFC had a fight a week or two ago, and Korean Baseball has started, and Golf is going to start ina couple of weeks.

What would you say would be the one sports that would be to wierd to watch without fans in attendence?

For me I would have to say NFL football. This sport I think more so then others makes the phrase "home field advantage." Just think about it a visiting team would be able to hear there own play calls. It would be even more crepy if they did a wideshot of the stadium and showed nobody there. Just imagine a stadium that holds 60,000 plus empty for an NFL game. a couple of weeks ago they rebraodcast the superbowl. Being without sports as we have been for a couple of months, it was kind of cool to hear that excitement from a crowd.

I think NBA baseketball is probably better suited to go without fans, sure you might hear more squeaking then usual but I think with some effort and maybe being able to play music or some thing you can cover some of that up.

But anyhow do fellow sports fans agree with me that football would be the worst thing to expereince without fans?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   
OH OH... I know this one

SUMO wrestling yeah...

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Any sport where the fans are billed as an important part of the experience would be weird. So the big college sports like football and basketball would be odd. Half the experience is the fanbase and the rowdy crowds.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Baseball. It's boring enough. However, I enjoy going to the park to watch games in person. It's about the atmosphere of the experience.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
College football. The whole experience is more than just the stadium with tailgating. They park RV's days before the game. In the US anyway. NFL is not even close to that fanbase.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

would you still watch it? football and basketball?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

College football. The whole experience is more than just the stadium with tailgating. They park RV's days before the game. In the US anyway. NFL is not even close to that fanbase.

Can you see that happening right now? I mean when we get to the fall will any of that be allowed??

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
American Wrestling would seem rediculous with all those hunked up men and women playing to empty chairs and lapping up zero attention.

I know he doesn't wrestle anymore, but "The Rock" climbing up on the corner ropes and doing his "stare" would just look like a sad psyco who needs a shrink.

IF it could be called a "sport" and not just "entertainment" that is.
edit on 19/5/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Golf.

Its so quiet already, if you didnt have the ASMR-like claps at the end of each hit it would be so terribly lonely to watch.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Yep,

Wrestling. It is 100% scripted for cheering crowds.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Youre right, I have a buddy who does "minor league" wrestling(Buster Cherry in Oklahoma), he does it mostly for the boos from the crowd.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Womens Beach Volleyball

For reasons similar to if a tree fell in the woods does it make a sound

Do Bootyiful babes still wobble if no one is there to see it?

And as for real football (a game where you kick the ball with your feet predominantly)

FC Seoul have a novel idea

link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Can you see that happening right now? I mean when we get to the fall will any of that be allowed??

They can socially distance a parking lot. Most of the tailgaters are family groupings of less than 10. Shouldn't that fit most of the rules? Social groups 10 or less and between them maintain your 6 ft?

link   

Competitive Ping Pong. The fans are the experience.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
American Wrestling would seem rediculous with all those hunked up men and women playing to empty chairs and lapping up zero attention.

I know he doesn't wrestle anymore, but "The Rock" climbing up on the corner ropes and doing his "stare" would just look like a sad psyco who needs a shrink.

IF it could be called a "sport" and not just "entertainment" that is.

I saw an interview with Mark Henry recently. He explained wrestling this way.... "The outcome is predetermined, but the wrestling itself isn't fake..."

In other words, even if there is a script, you are still getting body slammed by a 400lb man....

You could easily broadcast most sports with good camera work and exclude the fans. I do think though the performance of some athletes might suffer without the crowd/atmosphere. I'd imagine the athletes get used to the background noise of the fans and playing in silence might be distracting in a funny kind of way.

I guess I've always done sports where we didn't have huge crowds of spectators, so I guess it doesn't bother me.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Not to burst your bubble but this is actually happening The WWE is still going on putting on empty arena shows.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah I guess that could still happen

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   

You could easily broadcast most sports with good camera work and exclude the fans. I do think though the performance of some athletes might suffer without the crowd/atmosphere. I'd imagine the athletes get used to the background noise of the fans and playing in silence might be distracting in a funny kind of way.
a reply to: Edumakated

I think you have a very good point.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Golf will be weird. The gallery has an impact on the playing conditions.
Balls get hit into the gallery all the time, where the long grass is trampled down. So instead of a ball buried in deep grass, the ball rest on top of the grass making for a much easier shot.
Also players get special relief from grandstands. So if they over shoot the green they have sort of a backstop.

Plus, it was common to see the gallery help improve the conditions of a player they wanted to win (Tiger Woods).

I bet they take more risk with their driver now. The course will look so wide open to them.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I thought the women's wrestling was pretty funny. No fans but one chick turned around acting like a crowd was there and was trying to get them pumped up.

With no.fans you really get to hear a lot of snip talking you dont normally hear.

I bet basket ball would have some good $h!t talking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join