It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Takes ‘Historic’ Action To Move Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Out Of China, Back To U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+58 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is great news, and it's something that should have never been allowed. Big pharma moves back home.At least god willing.

In an “historic turning point,” the Trump administration has taken bold action to bring America’s pharmaceutical manufacturing back to the U.S. from China and India.

“Seeking to secure the nation’s supply of critical medications, the Trump administration has signed a $354 million contract that would create the nation’s first strategic stockpile of key ingredients needed to make medicines,” NBC News reported. “The agreement was signed Monday with Phlow Corp., a generic drug maker based in Virginia.”

Source

This part isn't so great. As medications have a shelf life right along with everything else in this disposable society. Other things that need to move back here are defense materials, and rare earth elements that make the green crap possible.

Keep it up you magnificent orange bastage.

I retort.

You decide.
edit on 19-5-2020 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Sounds good. Keep bringing jobs back. Another promise kept.

+7 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Trump Takes ‘Historic’ Action To Move Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Out Of China, Back To U.S.

Excellent news!

China was allowed to grow too strong by people in power who didn't put America first to the point where it can even threaten other countries. This move should weaken it significantly.

Other things that need to move back here are defense materials, and rare earth elements that make the green crap possible.

I think that despite the media never blaming China, many people are starting to realize that way too many things are manufactured in China and that if something ever happens to it (like it was the case during their lockdown period), the entire world will have a lot to lose just because we're too reliant on one single country.

+7 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:08 PM
link   
In other news.

A new Deutsche Bank survey shows that 41 percent of Americans say they won't buy products made in China, and 35 percent of Chinese citizens won't buy products from America either.

Maybe the turd has finally turned.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   
China put the world in " a spider web trap". That was going to be their goal, but the corona virus put a dent into their plans.
You have to know this: 95% of the world corporations said they will NOT move their businesses out of China. That sucks. Its all about money and power.
Also, there is a saying: you can never tell what the Chinese are thinking

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Anon283799

China was allowed to grow too strong by people in power who didn't put America first

Exactly. And those people in power were who? They were the CEO's of large pharma corporations that farmed out that work to China. They were the CEO's of large drug store chains that bought drugs made by Chinese companies because they were cheap so that they could then sell them for a higher profit to the American people. And it was the American people who bought those drugs because they either wouldn't or couldn't buy more expensive drugs that were made here at home.

+11 more 
posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: Anon283799

China was allowed to grow too strong by people in power who didn't put America first

Exactly. And those people in power were who? They were the CEO's of large pharma corporations that farmed out that work to China. They were the CEO's of large drug store chains that bought drugs made by Chinese companies because they were cheap so that they could then sell them for a higher profit to the American people. And it was the American people who bought those drugs because they either wouldn't or couldn't buy more expensive drugs that were made here at home.

It also seems to be a lot of our politicians...

See Joe Biden, Mitch McConnell, Nancy Pelosi, etc, etc, etc...

Seems a trend was set when it was ok for Bill Clinton to sell military technology to China without any repercussions.

I'm hoping Trump can put a stop to that.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This has been a discussion for the last few decades and nothing has been done about it.

We need to make our own computer chips here in the US for all computers used by the government, any kind of infrastructure including the power grid, as well as law enforcement, medical uses etc. We should never be held hostage to a different country for any kind of chip making.

This would also apply to the steel industry. We should make our own steel for most of our needs.

We should look at how we as a society have moved manufacturing out of the country and try to move critical manufacturing back into the country. This would provide good paying jobs and also make us independent.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
First I think this is a good move overall. However, we should be careful not to swing the pendulum too far in the other direction.

Point being, if we as a nation get into a situation where the mfg sector cannot deliver these essential products (new pandemic, natural disaster, etc...), then we would be still screwed. We need a balanced approach where we produce a major portion locally, yet still import or produce externally as a hedge against any such internal disaster.

Everything in Moderation (i.e. "observe due measure; moderation is best in all things" - Greek poet Hesiod (c. 700 bc)
edit on 5/19/2020 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
You have to know this: 95% of the world corporations said they will NOT move their businesses out of China.

Ummm...citation...please...

YouSir

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So you're telling me that tvs and furniture and microwaves and toys will last longer than a year? I've been waiting on this since the 90's.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Yes,

About damned time and there is no reason to stop there. We should be making all critical infrastructure necessities here in the continental U.S.

If it is a part or component of any power system, military system, communication system, health system, or transportation systems infrastructure it should be made right here in the USA.
edit on 19-5-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I hate Big Pharma but I hate imported Big Pharma even more. Nice to get some jobs back.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

So you're telling me that tvs and furniture and microwaves and toys will last longer than a year? I've been waiting on this since the 90's.

No.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
This part isn't so great. As medications have a shelf life right along with everything else in this disposable society.

As long as they incorporate rotation policies that make sure everything gets rotated out/in, so the stockpile is always fresh, no worries...

Other things that need to move back here are defense materials, and rare earth elements that make the green crap possible.

The only truly workable 'green crap' that we should be pursuing is perfecting LFTRs (Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors).

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Lol. Just like he brought back jobs from overseas?
He signed a peanut deal with a company from Virginia yet the headline reads like he pulled all the pharmacy out of China.
edit on 19-5-2020 by XCrycek because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: UFO1414
I hate Big Pharma but I hate imported Big Pharma even more. Nice to get some jobs back.

What jobs were brought back?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

And yet 100% of Chinese will watch our shows, games and music so go ahead with your 35% "ban"

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

originally posted by: LSU2018

No.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek
Lol. Just like he brought back jobs from overseas?
He signed a peanut deal with a company from Virginia yet the headline reads like he pulled all the pharmacy out of China.

A small step is better then no step. Wouldn't you agree?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join