It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are refusing to work

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: dawnstar

OP gave us an anecdote about four people.

That’s all it took for the gang to generalize it to the entire US and start bleating the narrative.

And? My anecdote is 19 people here at my job, and it's a small business.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

People like me??? You are equating little old me with the health professionals, the governors (both dem and rep), not to mention trumps own team that put together that plan to reopen the economy???
Guess I should feel honored....

I got news for you.. I was staying at home before the virus hit, I will be staying at home after the virus is gone....of course my home might be a grave by then!! I was staying at home for the most part when my husband was alive and bitching about me not working, i was staying home for after he passed and i had no income for a year... now, I am staying at home mainly for society's protection...
Because me driving anywhere is not a good idea at all!!!
None of this has anything to do with a virus, it has to do with my health and what i am able to do...

So you are sick and tired of people like me??
Well let me tell you something...
First... how about taking the advice that so many on these boards have drowned so many out with through the years and decades and pick yourselves up by the bootstraps and stop complaining!! This isnt the first time the govt will be sinking you financially or emotionally... the govt has gotten quite good at draining the wealth and spirit out of the citizens they "serve"..
Second...quit acting like there is only two options... stay shut down or open the floodgates up. There is a third option, one our federal, state, and local govt should have been putting together since before they ended up having to shut down as much as they did... the social distancing/masks, the testing, tracing, and quarantining.
You are sick of me... well I am sick of those who seem to fight those things tooth and nail while griping about others, pretending to be mind readers, knowing what those others think and fear!!
It has been the deranged paranoid delusions of a minority along with a president so eager to please them that has prevented our movement foreward!!

And oh, by the way, the only thing that I have had a,problem getting is food!!! Mainly meat!! No federal or state mandate has interfered in the least with the manufacture and transport of food! Heck on meat packaging plant has raked up something like 1000 cases of the virus and is still open running basically unhindered by the govt. Some of the biggest outbreaks in the country are in the communities these meat plants are in..
But still, the govt has only given them suggestions as to how to control the spread, for the to accept, or reject. Whatever they desire.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Nice word salad, boy did I hit that nerve or what!

You know exactly the "type" I mean -- those of YOU, people like YOU, collectively, who want to forcefully make everyone fall into your preferred line and stay that way, to make you all feel better. Screw it, and screw those forceful types, you folks can stay home & forgotten, and leave the rest of us alone. I'm at that apathy point -- go back inside.
< GASP >
What, you don't like being told what to do, either? Tough s#, if it's good enough for you to demand, it's good enough for everyone to demand, even if it goes against your wants & ideals, right? RIGHT?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Actually it's not roaring strong at all. We're 9,000 away from 100,000 and yesterday had the lowest number of deaths since March 30th. In 1968, the population was 200 million, we're 131 million past that now. With the population increase, we'd have to reach 164,000 deaths to match 1968.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Frankly, this whole thing is turning into a joke.

Stay home, they said. It'll keep you safe and especially the vulnerable, they said.

Then they keep people from working so they lose everything and send infected people into nursing homes while they're at it.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Gee, wonder what kind of chaos trump will create when he forces all these companies to start producing in the US and they have to adapt their business plan to accommodate shifting from chinese slave wage workers to even American minimum wage workers..

If somehow a pair of sneakers made by cheap chinese labor ends up costing over 100 by the time it hits the shelves here, how much will they end up costing if they are made with American labor, which would probably be better paid than minimum??

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Lol...
Who's nerve was hit???
Dont really think I demanded anything.. I expect...
Why, i dont know.. but still... sooner or later my expectations might pan out... or not...
Yes, I expect peop le whining about their economy being shut down to want it enough to wear a mask, allow CDC to do their job and mitigate its spread via testing, tracking, ect.
I expect this because I believe it's the only way we are gonna get anywhere close to being opened up without healthcare systems crashing throughout the country!!
But, well time will tell...

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Missing your Chinese masters already I see?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Called 6 2 showed and we're talking people making a lot more than unemployment. As others said they are scared of the germs. We discussed They will get one more chance to come in next week. Then just turn them in. We have requested another 6 start next Tuesday none have replied but they have till tomorrow afternoon.

The first 4 don't show Tuesday their phones and computers will be locked at 9AM and a certified letter asking them to turn them in will be sent. Should have that by late next week to motivate the second group.

Those of us that have worked through this have been getting nice Awards with our paychecks.

I was going to retire in August but the offer they made I'll stick it out another year or two. 32 Hours about a 30% pay raise.

A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!! I'm going backhoe shopping.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Actually, that 100000 is the total of two waves that swept through, in over a years time. We arent even through with wave number one and close to 100000 in how many months time? 4?? Maybe???
Only because the bulk of the deaths so far has been in ny city.. most of the country was slammed into lockdowns before they had that many cases. They are still having cases, it just hasn't been able to spread as fast as it will be able to if things open up with little precautions in place.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

If you want to believe that then that's your choice. This virus has been here since November. We've been touching the same things as people who were infected and this was well before the shutdown. The mask isn't going to stop much from either party that wears it, especially the way I've seen a lot of them worn. We'd probably be closer to 100,000 if not for the lockdowns but not much.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

No, just saying, if raising the minimum wage here just enough to clear out the welfare rolls some isnt feasible because of the negative economic impact.. (of course, much of that negative economic impact would be balanced out by money saved in govt spending...) I highly doubt if forcing these companies back here, where they have to abide by stricter (and more costly epa standards) and pay much higher wages isnt gonna be more destructive and less feasible.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Do you know how much you'd have to raise it?!

Think about not just TANF payments, but SNAP. Then you're also looking at the value of daycare and rent subsidy, utility assistance, MEDICAID and CHiP, and a bunch more I'm likely not even thinking of. For a family of any size, you're approaching the value of the median income in some places if they're getting all the goods and services government tells them they're "entitled" to.

Should we raise minimum wage so much that anyone earning an honest living but making less than is suddenly told they're only a minimum wage worker at best?

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: residentofearth
a reply to: Bluntone22

Who would guess social benefit for not working will ends in people refuse to go to work and earn less money?

Money for lazyness vs money for hard work.
For some kind of people choice is clear.

Thanks God I have a job and work to do.

You Poles have been a total revelation in the UK. Everywhere you go Polish are working hard and do the real work over here. I can't imagine what a state our country would be in without you Polish, there is a massive segment of British society who go for a life on benefits, you know get pregnant ASAP = free council house, benefits, even a free brand new car if you can find a 'disability.' While groups of chavs who would rather milk the system than do an honest days work and contribute their fair share to society.

Hats off to you Poles, you were just the same post WW2 when you came over and grafted like the best of them, straight into the mines and toiled with muscles

I just wish we still had a penal colony like Australia where we could deport our lazy work shy something for nothing society owes me something chav types to make space for more Poles who really know the meaning of a hard days graft

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

And, if yous want to open the floodgates and race to herd immunity, be my guest... I'll pop myself some popcorn and settle in to watch the show!!
With all the deaths in ny city, all the strain on their hospitals... it is estimated that less than a quarter of their population has any antigens. In other areas of the state it's more like around 12%.. in some areas of the midwest, it's probably far lower... yous got a long ways to go!!! Better get a racing...

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Just imagine.
Pay everyone a living wage and then we could eliminate most of the funding for all those social programs you listed.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Well,.. you could also limit the amount of the givaways...
Put some pressure on the cost of the overpriced necessities.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Just imagine.
Pay everyone a living wage and then we could eliminate most of the funding for all those social programs you listed.

One problem being define "living wage". For one thing, each state has its own standard of living. A living wage in California or New York is vastly different than one in Kansas or Missouri. What exactly should a "living wage" be thought of? It's such an easy term to say, but what would it be, what should it allow one to do?

And what happens when everyone is paid it and all the goods and services of businesses get more expensive in order to support the mandatory payment of it, and then suddenly, living wage isn't so "living" anymore?

And we end up right back where we started.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Hey hey hey....
It's easy..

The formula is as follows.

Fair share squared divided by pi times 60%..
Times 80% if female.
Times 125% if minority.
Times 165% if lbgqt****

See.. Easy

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I knew this was going to happen as soon as that six hundred buck a week kicker came out. I am sure you figured that out right away since you work with people on unemployment on a regular basis. I bet everyone in the unemployment offices saw this coming. We got some major problems coming up in the next two months. I think they screwed up when designing that program, this stay coupled to quite a bit of monthly income actually may have done us more harm than good. Payroll protection was a better choice than that six hundred bucks a week kicker.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join