It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Attacks Canadian Pot Laws

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Here's a crazy idea. Maybe instead of raking Canada over the coals for the weed coming over the Northern border the Government could actually try getting on Mexico's case for letting hordes of illegals swarm over the Southern border.

Or how about taking some of the billions used to combat the evils of Marijuana and use it to secure that border or for any number of other uses.

But I don't suppose that's part of Bush's agenda. Besides he seems to love Mexico while holding a grudge against Canada for not supporting his illegal war. Or some of his other schemes.

I'm sure Fox and Bush will laugh over it while enjoying some Acapulco gold during his next visit to the ranch.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
If only Barry Manilow or my sister had smoked weed, it would have saved me hours of agony.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

To me, Canada has just joined the list of nations that needs to eradicate their drug operations.

4 of our Royal Canadian Mounted Police just died trying to eradicate a drug operation. See www.cbc.ca..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.cbc.ca...

Before you talk about Canada joining the list, you may want to have a look at Oregon, Washington State, and northern California, and add them to the list.

I'm sure you didn't know about the Mounties, but you'd better look in your own back yard first. And who do you think is buying all this stuff? Guess who - just look in the mirror, America.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
My fellow Canadians- I have nothing against pot or its use. It's an issue of picking your poison, so to speak.

I do, however, take issue with who is profiting from pot sales- bikers and other members of organized crime groups. THAT is the issue- each dime bag you buy puts more money in their pockets for cop-killer programs, guns, and bunkers. that's teh problem, really- where the money goes. If the substance was controlled by teh government, that'd be super. More money for healthcare and the army. Unfortunately, with the prevolence of crime weed out there, starting a federal pot program is nigh-impossible.

DE

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye

To me, Canada has just joined the list of nations that needs to eradicate their drug operations.

4 of our Royal Canadian Mounted Police just died trying to eradicate a drug operation. See www.cbc.ca..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> www.cbc.ca...

Before you talk about Canada joining the list, you may want to have a look at Oregon, Washington State, and northern California, and add them to the list.

I'm sure you didn't know about the Mounties, but you'd better look in your own back yard first. And who do you think is buying all this stuff? Guess who - just look in the mirror, America.

this story has changed it's flavour. the media are now down-playing the 'grow operation'. there were 20 plants. the man was well known as a violent offender to police. his neighbors were all afraid of him. he was psycho.
the pot bust in barrie found 30, 000 plants, and not a shot was fired.

and don't you know pot simply won't grow south of the forty ninth parallel, and north of the mexican border? god blessed america so that pot wouldn't grow there.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Either you are joking or you really are as uninformed as your post suggests. Either way, it's a tragedy.

The USA is by far, the largest consumer of drugs. You realize this, right? When a commodity is illegal and yet millions of people WANT that commodity, all that results is the creation of a black market. Black markets allow the people in power to keep all the money or use it to fund secret wars. Do some research and you'll see that this is what happens in the USA. Individual rights will always win over those who are simply trying to preserve their black market monopolies

Yes I agree with this totally, people want weed, weed is illegal, start a black market, governement turn a blind eye now and they etc etc.

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Understand that millions upon millions of Americans WANT weed. These are people who have good credit ratings, jobs, etc. The myth that cannabis affects people as negatively as say, alcohol has long since been demolished except for people who CHOOSE to remain ignorant on the subject.

NEWSFLASH: alcohol is a poison that wrecks minds, families and kills thousands of people each year. Weed has never killed anyone and is not addictive in the same way booze is.
[edit on 13-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

This I do not agree with. Weed has never killed anyone no, not purely from 'weed poisoning' or 'weed overdose' purely because this is medically known to be impossible. Weed has lead to schizophrenic tendencies, basically its messed peoples head's up. I personally know about thirty people who smoke weed, I know them as friends and talk to them on a weekly, sometimes daily bases. Probably about a third of these DON'T have a problem with weed, the other two thirds DO. When I say problem I don't mean they're junkie druggies who would steal anything they could just to get high, I mean they are fiends. They'll be anywhere the smoke is, gladly miss school for a smoke, always be lazy and never leave their own house unless it's for a smoke, spend ALL their money on weed, then do the same thing the next day, and the next, and the next, and the next.

So what I'm trying to say is that yeah, there is no statistics to say that weed kill people, but it sure does mess people's lives up. People CAN because dependant on weed, people can become addicted to weed. People like getting high then people like getting high every day, every chance they can. That's when things start to go wrong.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by phixion]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Weed has never killed anyone no, not purely from 'weed poisoning' or 'weed overdose' purely because this is medically known to be impossible. Weed has lead to schizophrenic tendencies, basically its messed peoples head's up.

And your point is? On one hand you've got drunks who wreck their livers and who crash their cars into innocent people, but that's not only legal, it's encouraged through beer --and now even hard liquor-- commericals on television. If one is legal and encouraged, and kills people, how can you fight against the other which has neither of those bad effects and yet remains illegal? I'm not saying that the NFL should dump Miller Lite and take on Paanama Red as their new sponsor, but don't you see some hypocrisy there?

but it sure does mess people's lives up. People CAN because dependant on weed, people can become addicted to weed.

People can become addicted to gambling, sex, etc. What's your point? Addiction is bad, not cannabis.

Also, aren't black markets bad? Legalization would remove all the crummy stuff that gets done with that unreported income not to mention the political power that comes from billions of dollars.

I'm sorry that you know stoners and that their lack of motivation irritates you, but what exactly are you saying? That the US's war on cannabis should be continued? That's just plain wrong.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I'm all up for the legalization of cannabis, the dam is one of my favourite places.

It just gets to me when people claim so much that weed isn't addictive because I personally think it is.

Good article about it here.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Just wanted to say that more people die a year from alcohol that anyone in the past 100 years has every died from smoking marijuana.

Yet alcohol is glorified, Marijuana is demonized.

There is no money in nature, yet there is plenty in the process of distilled alcohol.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I agree totally, I've never heard of anyone who has died from cannabis use, the only thing is that my generation (under 20 year olds) in England today are using cannabis on a daily basis. All the schools, colleges and universities have their large share of cannabis users. These users are different from drinkers as most of the drinkers will drink maybe one night a week, on the Friday or Saturday night, but the weed smokes will be burning every day of the week, every night of the week, whenever they can really.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Just found this;

UN condemns UK cannabis laws

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Is pot harmless? No.
Is it more harmful than other legal drugs such as tobacco or alcohol? In my opinion no.
I myself have smoked pot regularly since 16, now that I live in eurpe I travel to amsterdam every 2-3 months for the good smoke. I work ina profession whch demads not only quick thinking, and the abillity to comuunicate effectively, but which requires great intelligence to be successful in. It is also one of the most stressful jobs in the world which is why every night when I get home I have 3 fingers of Johnny Walker Blue label and a fattie.
I have tried other drugs, '___', Acid, Cocaine etc. but I didn't like any of them I stick to the green.
Is Pot a gateway drug? At the moment yes, but then again the same people who sell pot usually sell other drugs too, and I have never known a dealer who hasn't tried to sell me other drugs when I buy pot.
However you legalise, regulate, and tax the hell out of pot and that stops.
The minute RJ Reynolds or Phillip Morris start growing, packageing, and marketing pot, it stops being a gateway drug.
Instead of buying it from a criminal you buy it at the quickie mart or tobacco shop.
Boom gateway closed.
Not to menton that even with a 100% sales tax prices would still be half of what they are today, and the US would have billions in revenues with which to put into stopping coc aine heroin etc, from entering our country.
With a lot left over for law enforcement healthcare education etc.
Once marijuana is legalised industrial hemp would be as well which wold allow US farmers to make 3-4 tmes per acre what they do now without needing government subsidies.
Everybody wins, nobody loses.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
So the ultimate question...

...Why isn't it legal?!

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Umm, coz we like it? Just about everyone I know smokes, even my parents and grandmother!!!!!!
I don't like drinking and don't like what people become when they drink at times.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
it was said in history that clothes where made of pot around the civil war era.there is some talk that the delaration of independace is written on pot paper.pot was a threat to the cotton trade.pot was 10 times stronger than cotton.i wonder why they picked cotton over pot?i do see a furture for pot because it has so many uses.it only bad because we are told it is.dont be surprised if jeans in 10 years are made of pot.with the made in canada signature on it.an example coca-cola uses coc aine leaves in there soda pop.smoke compaines dip heroin on tobacco leaves.look it up its all legal in fine print.companies will be making money on things even if there good or bad.pot might turn out to be one good industry standard product.besides would you like to have your clothes last alot longer than they do now.write on paper that did not need a large tree to kill.we need our trees for clean air.pot has alot of good uses.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Is this pot or hemp your talking about?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
As the title says, god made cannabis. What’s wrong with a plant? If a plant as beautiful as cannabis is banned, why not ban tea plants, lettuce, tomatoes or beetroot? Why would god not want you to enjoy one of his beautiful creations? People just need to be more moderate in their actions. As phixion rightly said, cannabis can mess people up. It can be addictive and can ruin people’s lives, but we’ve all been given our own lives to do what we want with, who can morally say ‘you must do this’ and ‘you can’t smoke that’?

For all of Americas drug laws, and their attitude towards prescript drugs, this is total hypocrisy. You think that the American government, or any American person is correct when they agree with all these prescription drugs for these ‘Illnesses’ that they may or may not have? Americans are addicted to their prescriptions of man made drugs, which probably don’t do them that much good. Cannabis can be used to treat a variety of illnesses, its brilliant for headaches and hangovers! (Trust me!).

America, land of the free…

… but you cant smoke pot.

Originally posted by phixion
This I do not agree with. Weed has never killed anyone no, not purely from 'weed poisoning' or 'weed overdose' purely because this is medically known to be impossible.

A little un- true, I read in the Metro newspaper (one I know that you and all bus-traveling UK citizens are all so fond of) and one man did die of cannabis posining. I cant remeber the exact statistics, but he smoked something like 7 joints a day for 15 years.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Yes and the metro also stated that the 'average' cannabis smoker smoked 70 joints a week, where the heavy user smoked 350 'cannabis cigarettes'.

Shows what the metro knows about cannabis users.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I reall like this thread. First, I just want to say that Phillip Morris has already copyrighted many possible brand names for weed in the anticipation of it being legalized.
Right. Ok, so once upon a time (not too long ago) I was a "pothead". I had a personal life problem and turned to weed to help me through it. In fact, I always felt suicidal unless I was high, so I had to smoke litterally about ten times a day. This quickly led to a dependency. I was hooked for about a year and a half until I realised that it was controlling me and that I had to quit. It took me another few months to ween off of it, but I was able to do it easily enough. I'm currently trying to quit cigarettes and it's a hell of a lot harder than it was to quit weed.
I think that a lot of the country would benefit from learning about marijuana and not believing everything they hear from the media. In this information age, it's certainly a lot harder to propagate lies on the scale that would be required to convince a nations population that say... I dunno... a certain country is a direct nuclear threat to us (which I won't go into now, I could rant forever but every time I think of our president and the stuff he tried to put over my head I just get so angry that I want to spit), so it's a lot easier to seperate fact from fiction. For those of you that don't know of it, www.erowid.org is an excellent resource for finding the pros and cons of illegal and legal drugs. But I digress. Everyone should also check out the sheer amount of rediculous propaganda presented to the public in America during the late 30's and early 40's. Anyone seen "Reefer Madness"? I haven't, but I heard it's good :-p The valedictorian of my high school was the biggest and most nortorious pothead at the school and he is BADly addicted. He's doing rather well in college though considering his cop father has all but disowned him. Let's face it, weed makes you lazy. If you're not the kind that can handle it, it will handle you and you'll turn into a loser that can't hold a job, relationship, etc. But I know many, many people who smoke weed on a semi-regular basis (I don't ever smoke anymore... well... there is the occasional impulse-toke) who don't have a "problem" at all. If you can go for two days without having to smoke weed, you don't have a "problem". Certain people can have a habit that could be considered a "problem" and still become, say, the father of modern psychology. Other people turn into Bevis and Butthead because of their addiction, but the point is, these are our lives to waste. Also, say we legalized weed... we would save... what 9 billion dollars a year not trying to fight it, not to mention the rediculous taxes that the government would apply to it, I bet it'd be a serious industry... like booze and cigarettes. Not to mention, the serious drop in crime rates that I'd expect. Crime organizations would lose a hell of a lot of revenue and there'd be less money to go around. You think your local pot dealer's pretty calm and not really threatening but if you follow the hands that it's been through before it got to you, you'd find some serious hardcore, scary people. I hate those comercials that tell the veiwer that if you buy drugs, you support violent crimes. If the stuff was legal, you'd be supporting no one but the government.
(When I was in high school there was an ad campaign where it would show shots of kids saying things like "I helped blow up a house" "I helped kill a judge" "I helped murder a family" "Just a little harmless fun". I always thought that the most sinful thing an American could do would be to pay taxes. I've now officially helped murder over 8,000 innocent people in Iraq. You don't see me in black and white on TV telling people not to pay their taxes because our government is irresposible)
-T

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thank you Canada for the dank.
Here in Arizona there's alot of Mexican crap and it's always nice to get the good stuff, when it can be afforded. It's so expensive.

Those who are so against marijuana should fight equally as hard to stop alcohol and tobacco as well. They are all drugs and are all poisonous, marijuana is the least harmful of them all and should be legal before tobacco or alcohol. Look at the facts, the effects of alcohol on the body are similar to radiation poisoning, and tobacco is cancer's best friend, weed would probably be just as bad as tobacco except you don't have to smoke nearly as often, I couldn't imagine smoking 20 joints a day. The only reason marijuana is illegal is because it is so easy to grow that it couldn't effectively be taxed. That's it. Somebody could easily maintain enough plants to support their habit. It would not be so easy to make enough beer at home or grow and process enough tobacco to support one's own habit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join