It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Attacks Canadian Pot Laws

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
There has been a surge of high-potency marijuana illegally being smuggled into the U.S from Canada. This is fuelling a rise in drug dependency among young Americans according to Bush's drug czar administration. The director of the U.S national drug control office yesterday signaled Washington's irritation with what it sees as a 'lax attitude' towards drug crimes in Canada.

www.the star.com
He was careful not to criticize the Canadian judicial system, but he repeated complaints he has heard from prosecutors and police officials in British Columbia and Toronto.

"I've talked to prosecutors in Canada over the past several years and they have stressed to me they don't believe they have sufficient sanctions against those involved in trafficking," Walters said.

"The law in some provinces is that unless you actually commit a violent crime against another individual, the tendency is for you not to get serious jail time."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here in England Marijuana is practically legal. It was recently downgraded to a class-c drug;

“For adults - most offences of cannabis possession would likely result in a warning and confiscation of the drug – unless there are aggravating factors, such as smoking in a public place or repeat offending, which may lead to arrest and prosecution.

For young people under 18 - for a first offence of cannabis possession, young people under 18 will be arrested, taken to a police station and given a formal warning or reprimand. Further offences will lead to a final warning or charge.”

I know people who have been caught with Marijuana, who were under 18 at the time, and just had it taken away from them. The law is quite confusing over here as some say it is illegal to have only a certain amount, others say it is illegal to have any amount. Kids need to be more educated, not only in England but the whole world, on what the effects of drugs are to people.

Related News Links:
www.the star.com

[edit on 13-3-2005 by phixion]

[edit on 13-3-2005 by phixion]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I hope Canada tells US to "Go *bleep* themselves." I'm sick of the US doing all this crap in my name.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The United States of America regarding pot

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   

There has been a surge of high-potency marijuana illegally being smuggled into the U.S from Canada. This is fuelling a rise in drug dependency among young Americans according to Bush's drug czar administration

Goes to show how much the religious right actually know about Cannabis. Drug Dependancy?? LMAO!!

What drug dependancy? I can't wait to here what some have to say on this......

Anyway, to all you US smokers, come to the UK.... we'll look after you!

[edit on 13/3/05 by stumason]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Apparently importing coc aine from south america and heroin from the middle east takes the back seat to the "more dangerous" pot being grown from the radical insurgent state known as Canada.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Just legalize it. When I was in high school i could walk out the School parking lot during lunch time or just after classes were over and buy as much pot as i wanted to. It was easier to get than booze. If a kid is going to use pot they are going to do so anyway because it is available and laws concerning pot are already lenient.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Hopefully the US will change their policies and realize this war on marijuana is not going to solve anything.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
"Apparently importing coc aine from south america and heroin from the middle east takes the back seat to the "more dangerous" pot being grown from the radical insurgent state known as Canada."

...right, thats why we have special ops and fbi agents doing counter drug operations all over south america and many other drug exporting nations, hey if you want us to be fair we could always extend such operations into canada too.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
...right, thats why we have special ops and fbi agents doing counter drug operations all over south america and many other drug exporting nations, hey if you want us to be fair we could always extend such operations into canada too.

There isn't too much in the news lately about operations in south america. And last time I checked, there were large insurgent states within Colombia and elsewhere. As I said, this problem has taken a bad seat to finding new ways to intimidate our neighbor.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Jamuhn

no our government just doesnt want stuff spreading to here, our country has a right to preventing stronger stuff from getting into our country, and of course you never hear of news about these operations, its not exactly good pr if people knew how dirty and bloody they are, this school of the americas or whatever its called only exist for these operations, to help destroy rebels, drug cartels, etc, i guarantee these things go on daily.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
All I can say is I have known quite a few people that have let drugs destroy them. All have one thing in common, they started with pot. Now I am not saying that pot is the root of all evil, however Canada has 30 million people and the USA almost 300. Our courts are full of people that have let their lives go to crap for dope. My late girl friend OD on heroin and right now I have a friend sitting in jail that I grew up with and have known for 30 years. 10 years ago this guy was a master Acura/Honda and Mazda tech. He made 80000 a year working on cars. He started smoking pot at 12, snorting coke in college and one night he tried crack. With in 3 months he sold everything he owned and has been in and out of jail for nearly 10 years. Others that never graduated up from pot are just waste products. I can name 5 people that have smoked pot daily for 20+ years and the are basicly useless. Can't keep a job or relationship. They are lazy and not worth much.
Bottom line is the same can be said about any drug that is abused wether pot, booze, heroin, pills or coke. So I would have to side with the feds on this one. Since I have taken nearly every drug my self at one time. Unlike these other people I knew i never became a junkie cause I really don't buy that crap. I belive they were all weak minded people if they let junk cotrol them.
I wouldn't critize the Feds they have a bigger picture to look at then you.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
thehamsamiam, so basically because some people choose to abuse it then it has to be illigal because the Gov't is out to "protect" us? Don't make me laugh. Any btw the "Gateway" theory is just as valid when applied to alchohol too. So should we make that illigal again too?

Any gov't that encourages the construction of new Coal power plants while making a PLANT illigal is hypocritical. "We won't let you have fun your own way in your own house but we'll build a brand new coal plant 2 miles from your house and poision you with Mercury"

BTW I am making a silly comparision because thehamsamiam made one...

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I can name 5 people that have smoked pot daily for 20+ years and the are basicly useless. Can't keep a job or relationship. They are lazy and not worth much.

And I can name you 10 people that have also smoked pot for 20+ years and are upstanding members of society, hard workers, and the nicest people in the world. Pot is not the problem.

Why is the US concerned about the Canadian pot "problem"..cause they don't have a piece in it. Do a little research and see how much the US is involved in hard drug's, and I don't mean involved in a way to elimitate it.

The US can't profit from something, so they want to elimnate it.

So, US gov...stay outa our business!

[edit on 13-3-2005 by sensfan]

Edited cause my spelling was so bad you would think I had just smoked ;-)

[edit on 13-3-2005 by sensfan]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Tell your fellow Canadiens to stop smuggling your dope into my country and we won't have to invade your doped up country to stop it!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Tell your fellow Canadiens to stop smuggling your dope into my country and we won't have to invade your doped up country to stop it!

You don't think you have enough hard drug problems in your own country? why worry about some imported Canadian Pot. I'd think I would be more worried about the Coke imported from Afgahnistan and South america than I would be out MJ from Canada.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   

You don't think you have enough hard drug problems in your own country? why worry about some imported Canadian Pot. I'd think I would be more worried about the Coke imported from Afgahnistan and South america than I would be out MJ from Canada.

All drugs from all nations needs to be stopped from entering our country.

I don't care if it is 'only marijuana', you don't need to send it here.

To me, Canada has just joined the list of nations that needs to eradicate their drug operations.

If you can't do it, we will.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

To me, Canada has just joined the list of nations that needs to eradicate their drug operations.

Because we've been oh so successful in eradicating drug operations in South America and Asia.

God when did america become the world's grumpy old man?

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Another example of stupid American policies and concepts of what government ought to be doing.

Burn this into your brain:

The role of government is not to protect us from making bad decisions in our lives, but to create an environment is which every individual has the opportunity to achieve their maximum potential.

Therefore, ALL Drug laws should be repealed - period. The war on drugs, like the prohibition against Alcohol in the 1920's is simply legislating morality. It has no place in government and is doomed to failure.

Being of Now

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Perhaps better good would be done if the Us gov would try to crack down on home grown pot in the US instead of the miniscule amount coming in from Canada.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Either you are joking or you really are as uninformed as your post suggests. Either way, it's a tragedy.

The USA is by far, the largest consumer of drugs. You realize this, right? When a commodity is illegal and yet millions of people WANT that commodity, all that results is the creation of a black market. Black markets allow the people in power to keep all the money or use it to fund secret wars. Do some research and you'll see that this is what happens in the USA. Individual rights will always win over those who are simply trying to preserve their black market monopolies.

Understand that millions upon millions of Americans WANT weed. These are people who have good credit ratings, jobs, etc. The myth that cannabis affects people as negatively as say, alcohol has long since been demolished except for people who CHOOSE to remain ignorant on the subject.

NEWSFLASH: alcohol is a poison that wrecks minds, families and kills thousands of people each year. Weed has never killed anyone and is not addictive in the same way booze is.

Weed is also responsible for pretty much all twentieth-century rock music, which is a statement that stands on its own. Toss out your Beatles albums if you feel this way, even the moderate early ones like Meet the Beatles and Beatles '65.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join