It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are sharks in the ocean. Don't go in there, they will eat you.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Love to find somewhere else except our houses were closed right along with those locations with us inside them

You're prevented from traveling?

The shark just eats you. It doesn't fart around with high-minded rhetoric about how it's really saving you by destroying you.

Neither does a virus fart around with rhetoric or politics. It just infects you, and may kill you.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

even though viruses live among us everywhere, not all viruses are equal, that this one is novel and also much more infectious than most, and that there is no herd immunity, which is why it's so concerning.

You're right; not all viruses are equal. This one is new (aka "novel") and quite infectious. That means sooner or later, everyone will get it. The vast majority will survive it; a substantial number won't even realize they caught it.

Let's compare that to the measles, shall we? It is also highly contagious and has killed many, many more people than the WuFlu, and until 1963 there was no vaccine. Back then it was assumed that, at some point, every child would get the measles. That was called a good thing, because it is much less severe in the young than in adults. And still, somehow, no countries shut down and we all still survived. I actually had the measles when I was young... itched like mad and I ran a pretty high fever. But I survived, despite that being in those olden days before modern medicine, and now, thanks to having the antibodies... I am immune to the measles!

The death rate for the measles back then was something on the order of 30%. High estimates show the maximum death rate of the WuFlu is more like 5% (It is probably much lower, since so many people who catch it never seek medical care and thus are never tested).

Oh, and an infectious disease is entirely different than a shark attack, a heart attack, cancer, or other conditions that aren't disease but that the ignorant use as talking points.

The common belief now seems to be that we are all deadly poison to one another; even incidental exposure is so dangerous that we all have to wear medical protective gear in our everyday life, lest we come into contact with another human. Therefore, the similarity between the WuFlu and a shark attack is quite applicable. Both involve exposure to another creature that has the capability to harm one.

Not sure where you pulled heart attacks and cancer out of, but I don't remember them being a part of the analogy.

I completely and unequivocally reject your apparent argument that one type of death is more or less terminal than another type of death.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
I am reminded of a story I heard from a cop down at the beach. A woman was on the pier, and noticed a shark swimming close to the beach where vacationers were enjoying the surf. She called the cops to tell them that there were sharks in the ocean. The cop laughed and said, yes, ma'm, that's where they live, and it was followed by silence then a click.

So we know sharks live in the ocean. Hell, that's also where they eat. So how could we be so careless and reckless to venture into their home, taking our lives into our hands and risking certain death? Perhaps it has to do with Odds. What are the odds of being bitten by a shark? I think there is a better chance of winning the powerball. Knowing that, we still swim in the ocean, and somehow, still buy those damn lottery tickets..

If we extend the metaphor, right now there are actually not ONE shark but almost 5 million sharks (as of today) that have bitten people and are swimming around in the water. This doesn't count sharks that have nibbled at toes (and still may bite others) but didn't make enough of an impression. At least 315,000 of these sharks are man eaters.

And these sharks are spawning... so there'll be a lot more of them tomorrow.

1.5 million of these sharks (known biters) are swimming in the shallows on all the US beaches. 90,000 of these sharks are man eaters.

Maybe you didn't see "Jaws" (the movie.) Unless I'm mistaken, it was the Mayor who kept pushing to open the town (so that they wouldn't scare away the tourists and collapse the economy) in spite of the sheriff and the scientist telling him that he was wrong and his policies would unnecessarily kill people.

So the "occasional shark" idea isn't correct. There's 1.4 million of them at the beaches, and around 6 of them in every 100 is a man eater.

And they're spawning.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sharks in the ocean, eh?

I love shark meat. I guess the question will be, who is going to eat who?

I have a lot more concern over jellyfish than sharks. I saw my brother-in-law get stung by jellyfish once; not my idea of a good time. Also, I can't eat jellyfish so they're not food. I can eat shark, so it's food. I don't generally run away from food.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Let's compare that to the measles, shall we? It is also highly contagious and has killed many, many more people than the WuFlu, and until 1963 there was no vaccine.
The death rate for the measles back then was something on the order of 30%.

Hence a subsequent vaccine. To prevent the death rate.

Not sure where you pulled heart attacks and cancer out of, but I don't remember them being a part of the analogy.

From the people who compare it to an infectious disease.

I completely and unequivocally reject your apparent argument that one type of death is more or less terminal than another type of death.

What? Is that an actual argument, that one death is not as terminal as another death?
edit on 17-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Hence a subsequent vaccine. To prevent the death rate.

Yes, a vaccine would be wonderful. Unfortunately, one may not be possible at this time. We have yet to develop the first vaccine for any coronavirus. Hence why the common cold (some cases of which are attributable to coronavirii) doesn't have a vaccine.

Interesting to note that we don't shut the country down for the common cold either. It's a coronavirus.

From the people who compare it to an infectious disease.

I read (quickly) through the thread before replying. I saw no one trying to compare the WuFlu to heart attacks or cancer. Did I miss it?

What? Is that an actual argument, that one death is not as terminal as another death?

Actually, I always thought it was a fact rather than an argument... but yeah, if you want to consider it an argument, then I am making it. Regardless of what it is that kills someone, they will be just as dead as though killed from something else.

Do you disagree?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   

If I've been prevented from working, then it's pretty hard to travel with zero bank balance.

And where are you traveling to in a locked down state exactly? If you're traveling into the neighboring state, depending on your location, you're again looking back at a potentially low bank balance assuming your job has been locked down along with everything else.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 09:48 PM
link   

As mentioned earlier...I finally got a haircut after 3 months (I had hair like Andrew Jackson).
The woman who cuts my hair is the owner of 3 salons and finally opened this Saturday.
I asked her directly...how close to permanently closing did you get?

Without hesitation, she said she was 3-4 weeks from bankruptcy...and her business only survived as long as it had because she had a small nest egg to help pay rent on her 3 shops.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Get back to me when you comprehend that, even though viruses live among us everywhere, not all viruses are equal, that this one is novel and also much more infectious than most, and that there is no herd immunity, which is why it's so concerning.

It is not concerning to me, or anyone who understands these things, and keeps their immune system strong and vital.

Oh, and an infectious disease is entirely different than a shark attack, a heart attack, cancer, or other conditions that aren't disease but that the ignorant use as talking points.

Since I didn't bring any of those up, I'll defer to whoever did if they want to respond.

Although, I also know how to prevent and/or treat all of those too...

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hi there....just want to poke a little hole in your statement. Born and raised in Miami, Florida. I'm my 40 years of life in this coastal city...I don't recall a closure of a beach due to a shark spottings on the beach. A section of beach may see a temporary request to stay out of the water. Like an hour or two.. Yet daily warnings of wind or riptides are a norm. During man of war(jellyfish) season as well. Miamians and tourist alike, are used to swimming with sharks with our without their knowledge...lol they are always there. That being said we still rarely see attacks. Take into account we host gentle nurse sharks and the more aggressive species like the tiger and even great whites. It's part of the natural order and just accepted as a norm that they are there. I myself have had several encounters....and I'm still here to speak of it. a reply to: Liquesence

edit on 18-5-2020 by whosWatchingyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You are much more likely to catch COVID than get eaten by a shark. That is why we take precautions. Plus, everyone is in danger, not just people diving into the ocean.

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

You are much more likely to catch COVID than get eaten by a shark. That is why we take precautions. Plus, everyone is in danger, not just people diving into the ocean.

then I suppose you won't be going outside.......ever.......muhahahahahah!!!!

You and Byrd will be stuck indoors, frightened to death of the horrible covid monster. Perhaps once the kinks are worked out, the government can send out therapy kittens instead of checks. You might want to order a litter box on amazon.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   

i read all your comments and convinced you dont give a damn about FACTS.

here is the current FACTS about corvid19

80 percent or greater have ZERO or minimum symptoms that it doesnt cause them to go seek medical treatment/testing and SURVIVE/RECOVER/DONT DIE

97 to 98 percent overall (that includes elderly , very young, very unlucky, and those with medical conditions) SURVIVE/RECOVER/DONT DIE

99.8 or greater who are healthy RECOVER/SURVIVE/DONT DIE.

those that are listed for dying from corvid19 are open to question given that the CDC alone stated "if you suspect corvid or they show symptoms their cause of deaths should be listed as corvid19). notice NOT REQUIRE PROOF at all.
nor do they require listing if corvid is primary or contributing factor (and to what level/percentage).

there is now (from main stream media source so save faux news crack) death certificates being changed from corvid in the THOUSANDS in PA due to improper use of proof.

RAPIST, MURDERS, CHILD SEXUAL PREDATORS, and other criminals have been let out of jail (and not sent to jail but told to report for court)
and they ARE NOT stopping preying on innocent people.

now lets go into more painful (to you and your argument) facts.

the more they test (thanks to now drive in test centers and testing not being limited to those in hospitals that are very ill) yes the rate of infection numbers go up..

but notice the DEATH FROM CORVID percentage GOES DOWN.....

thanks to facts we know those that suffer from SPECIFIC ILLNESSES/CONDITIONS, those very young with no immune system , and those with multiple medical conditions (or as my father said one foot in the grave and one foot on a bannana peel) , places where vulnerable are (ex hospitals and NURSING HOMES) need to take precautions...

so what does that add up to...

one.. almost all people WILL GET THE VIRUS no matter what.
two.. your odds of survival (outside of those LIMITED VULNERABLE) will RECOVER fine.
three.. your NOT GONNA STOP PEOPLE DYING ... be from corvid, influenza, pneumonia , and other pathogens ...

lastly

MILLIONS ARE GOING UNEMPLOYED, people are loosing their businesses, children are suffering educationally, many WILL DIE from not getting "elective" procedures/ testing/ services, people are having severe mental conditions complications, people are SUFFERING from not getting regular medical services (like routine dental checkups, actually seeing doctor, ect) , elderly are suffering by not getting out to be social and other bad things happening..

all for a .02 to 2 percent overall fatality rate.

sorry but all your emotional rantings, mental gymnastics and "models" dont change these facts.

if you want to stay home, wear a mask, social distance then BE MY GUEST.

BUT DONT TELL US WE HAVE TO FOLLOW YOUR ACTIONS DUE TO YOUR FEAR..

scrounger

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

ok if this is the point you want to make be prepared to show what a factual fool your comment is

yes your odds of catching covid19 are greater than shark attack IN US (to compare apples to apples)

but where you just went to fool land is the FATALITY comparison.

2019 71 shark attacks in US
17 fatalities

thats a fatality percentage OF 23.94

now corvid19

with medical condition/compromise (with some VERY SPECIFIC EXCEPTIONS) or just bad luck/unknown factor

97 to 98 percent chance OF SURVIVAL/NOT DYING..
or
2 to 3 percent chance of death

if no medical compromise

99.8 percent survival/NOT DYING
or
.02 percent fatality

BTW all of which fatalities are GOING DOWN AS MORE ARE FOUND INFECTED / WERE INFECTED BUT NOT DYING.
with added bonus (unlike a shark attack) 80 percent or greater SHOW NO SYMPTOMS OR MINIMUM THAT THEY DONT SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION OR TESTING.

now lets compare

shark attack... 23.94 percent die when attacked by a shark

corvid19... .02 to 3 percent (worst case ) die from getting infected by corvid19

so tell me oh wise one which person has a better chance of dying again?

or better yet

which one do you want to have happen and remember your odds of not getting the virus is so small no matter what you do (outside of total medical isolation) .

scrounger

ps... feel foolish yet

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Shark-AIDS?

Cue the invention of shades.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   

The shark just eats you. It doesn't fart around with high-minded rhetoric about how it's really saving you by destroying you.

Except sharks aren't known for eating people other than in movies, they are curious and sometimes get confused and bite but it's rare.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Of course, most of the folks responding to me are assuming I was conflating the sharks to the actual disease when I was actually comparing them to the lockdown politicos.

In other words, the sharks are far kinder then the politicians. They don't at any point pretend they have your best interests at heart. They're painfully and blatantly honest in what they do, but they can't be anything else being sharks.

edit on 19-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Well you can't really blame them for the wanting to keep their jobs, if they came out and said hey were gonna screw you people over you wouldn't elect them. It's fair to say politicians like sharks have no consideration for their victims as they sustain themselves.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
The house is on fire.

Thats ok.

Its on fire on the other side from where I am and not in my room.

I'll be perfectly fine here.

There is no sign of it

No need to worry.

Yes, some people have died of fire but they were old and couldn't get out of its way.

I don't need any damn lecture from you about fire.

It only kills the weak and the vulnerable.

Yes, my kids are in the room next door but I'm free to make my own decisions and I say there is no need to wake them.

No damn fire is going to take away my freedom of choice!

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Yes but you don't close every beach in the world when a shark attack happens in front of one beach.
This has been propagandized fear to a one glove fits all situation for the entire world.
I am not saying nothing should have been done, I am saying shutting down the economy of the world was an overreach and overkill.
edit on 19-5-2020 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join