It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are sharks in the ocean. Don't go in there, they will eat you.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: network dude

Why do any of you give a damn if vulnerable people choose to stay isolated?

Serious question. I keep seeing post after post about it.

We don’t. Isolate all you want. Just don’t tell me that I HAVE to.

You can’t close the whole damn ocean. Just the beach. Deal with it.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   

See, this is where the total lack of self awareness of the scardy-cat crowed becomes so evident!

Nobody cares if the vulnerable or the timid choose to stay isolated. If you want to stay home, closed in your safe walls, that's entirely up to you, entirely your choice, and entirely on you.

The problem the rest of us have is that it doesn't stop there. Many (way too damn many) of those self-isolators what everyone else to stay home, too. They want control not only over their immediate environment; they want it over everything and everyone else. They want me to stay in my walls because somehow they believe that my being free to live my life in the wide world while they are hidden away in their safe space poses a danger and a risk to them.

This is what irrational fear does. It makes people grasp for absolute control in a vain attempt to mitigate dangers that either don't exist or that in reality cannot be mitigated.

If you want to stay "safe," I won't demand that you come outside; but you have no right to demand that I stay inside because you are scared!
:
edit on 2020 5 17 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I grew up on the Gulf Coast in southwest Florida, and this is so goddamn spot-on for the virus hysteria being overblown reactions.

It's sort of a split -- some folks think the water's infested thoroughly and you're bound to come back a bloodied hunk of flesh if you go anywhere near the water. For others, the sharks at the beach never really sink in until they see one and lose their sh# over it. They hear about it, sure, and will talk about it in a novelty manner, but some seem to think once THEY get in the water, the sharks voluntarily find the undeveloped islands/stretches of shore and stay away from people (lmao, oh boy...)

You, whether you know it or not, or like it or not, are ALWAYS swimming with at least one shark in the vicinity. ALWAYS. Growing up, my mother was bumped by them more times than she could count, and so was my dad, I learned to take a quick pop under the water and take stock of my surrounding aquatic company many times. Seen many a shark between the sandbar and shore, they didn't bother anyone. They do not always close the beaches down in FL for shark sightings, lol, that's more of an Atlantic Coast caution method than a Gulf one, and they do get made fun of for it on the opposite coast.

What's even more rare to stumble on, but more injury-likely, is gators on the coast. They can and will swim out to the coast, they can do just fine in brackish and salt water for a while, my sister-in-law damn near tripped on one on a barrier islands once. That's always a funny story when she retells is, "I'd rather kiss a f#g shark and use a Man of War for a shower poof!"

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Hmm.. Well if we would not let seal populations explode and instead hunt them now and then, they would not attract so many sharks in shallow waters.. Thus making it safe(er) to swim at night and not get the crow disease.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I enjoy surfing on "sit on top" kayaks. When I saw I had the option of using one with a plastic window in the bottom, I laughed and said, "hell no". I really have no need to know what is swimming around me. There is something to be said for blissful ignorance.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: network dude
there are some who might be better off limiting their exposure to others. (idiots and old people, though idiots are only on that list due to them being idiots, no other reason)

Problem is, who are the idiots?

Easy answer.

The idiots are the ones who expect others to conform to their own view of the world.

If you go out and demand that everyone else go out like you, you're an idiot.

If you stay in and demand that everyone else stay in like you, you're an idiot.

Hope that clears that up. You can thank me in a reply.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   

could you explain the thought process involved in coming to that conclusion with regard to my OP?

Personal freedoms include hiding out in the basement if that is what you choose. Just remember those freedoms when it comes to my choices.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: network dude
there are some who might be better off limiting their exposure to others. (idiots and old people, though idiots are only on that list due to them being idiots, no other reason)

Problem is, who are the idiots?

They usually self identify.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The left; I don't want to get sick, therefor YOU can't go out.

It's the same thing with firearms.

The left; I don't like guns, therefor YOU can't own them.

It's the same thing with vegans.

"I don't eat meat, therefor YOU can't eat steak."

I like your analogy.

People need to take off their panic-panties and get back to living, if we still can.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

not that I expect honesty from you, but how many times do you think there are people swimming and nobody was there to notice the sharks in the water?

It depends on the shark. I've swam with sand sharks. If I see a tiger shark, I'm outta there!

I once realized that I was close, close, close to a Humpback whale. My body reacted before my mind did. My arms and legs were on auto pilot as I high tailed it out of there!

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I was the same way with a manatee. Likely the most docile harmless creature on earth, yet, giant, so panic worthy.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There are sharks in the ocean. Don't go in there, they will eat you.

I been scared of the ocean since I saw jaws at 7.

Good thing I am landlocked between the east and west coast.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

For 95% of the population...Covid-19 is a sand shark.

Can I substitute sand for loan?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   

A few years back I was on a beach in Delaware.
My family was swimming enjoying the water and about 10 yards away was a couple of guys fishing.
They kept reeling in sharks about 2 to 3 foot long.
I have very little doubt that momma was out there somewhere...lol

ETA: the beach was called “slaughter beach”....

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Get back to me when sharks are an infectious disease that can leave the water, get inside people and replicate.

Get back to me once you comprehend the reality that we all, each and every one of us, have quite literally hundreds of trillions of viruses living inside us all the time.

And then explain to me why we need to be afraid of one more.

Just sayin'.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Not just sharks. There are so many things in the sea that can hurt you or make you sick. I bet most oceanographers would never swim at the beach. Only in full gear, which includes a knife and/or bangstick.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

We had a Slaughterhouse Beach on Maui. There was an old, now defunct, slaughterhouse atop the cliff, with long wooden shoots where the blood and guts were poured into the ocean. Great waves there!

edit on 17-5-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Stop it.

Los Al is my hometown. My high school had a surfing PE class that met at Seal Beach every weekday morning at 6 am. One time while waiting for my turn at the top on a boogie board (I was a slow learner) an eight foot shark brushed up against my leg and stayed there for a full ten seconds or so. I think I literally pissed myself. In fact I'm sure I did.

It didn't even make the papers because this was almost 40 years ago and the few media outlets that did exist at the time had better things to report on than a shark sighting where no one was hurt.

The response these days to a mere sighting is theater.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

The problem is that there are too many idiots out there. This is why you see these sorts of weird warning labels. This is also why we can't have nice things.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Eventually what needs to be done, will be done and you deniers will not like that outcome at all. It involves removing the non-compliant.

Cases skyrocketing in Florida. Soon to skyrocket near you as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join