It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Magnetic North Pole Is Rapidly Moving Because of Some Blobs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Breakthestreak

First, the inner core is thought to be solid, so how or why "matter" would "escape" from it is somewhat of a puzzle. Second, theory does say that Earth's magnetic field is produced primarily by convective motion (as well as rotational influences) of the outer core. It is changes in this movement which is thought to affect large scale changes in Earth's magnetic field and is exactly what the article in the OP is about.

Third, the following statement doesn't seem to have much to do with the inner or outer core, since there are 18 hundred miles of mantle in between the outer core and the crust.

“The ice caps are allowed to pull the shell of the earth around the interior, with the shallow molten layer lubricating the shift all the way”

Nor does it have much to do with the way plate tectonics operate. No idea what "the shell of the earth" is referring to, unless it's the crust. Which mixed with the idea that the ice caps drag the crust around makes the whole thing sort of absurd.

Would you care to share your source? I feel you may have misinterpreted something along the way.

edit on 5/16/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I did say a grape would move toward the magnet I was wrong, I have slapped myself around my face banged my head against the wall and have electrocuted my testicles now can we move on.?
That guy is doing an experiment on a grape with a magnet, and you say water and magnet have no effect, ,,,, well the magnetic poles might when strong, cause a pressure on the dense water vapored air of the tropics , thus keeping the polar vortex nice and tight. So when the pressure comes off, like moves to Siberia, the wobbles start. But to say a magnet has no effect on water when you can see it working on the grape is just argumentative.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

So when the pressure comes off, like moves to Siberia, the wobbles start.
Or maybe it's because the Arctic is warming, resulting in changes in the way the Arctic air mass behaves.

But to say a magnet has no effect on water when you can see it working on the grape is just argumentative.
It would be. If someone had said that. Didn't see a bowl of water in the experiment, btw. (now that is just argumentative)

Try it with a magnetic with the same magnetic field strength as the Earth.

Try it with water vapor.

edit on 5/17/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

confused you are asking for a source whilst failing complete to supply any source for your "Opinion" perhaps you could do something other than make things up and supply some real scientific information to back up your "Opinion" before requiring others to do it.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Here another one ,
the question is not that a magnet can move water , can it move tiny droplets with hardly any mass to any significant extent, I suggest quite likely,

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: puzzled2

The person to whom I was replying said that they were reading from a source. I asked for that source.

Did I say I was reading from a source?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:12 AM
link   

As I said, when all of the other forces (convection, wind, gravity, angular acceleration) acting on it are considered, no. The Earth's magnetic field is not strong enough to have any significant effect. Certainly not to the extent of affecting weather.

Water vapor is a gas. It is not water droplets.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   

We have had the warming , and you still don't think that record snowfalls in the USA in May is kinda strange.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I expect that, as the planet warms (2020 is already looking like it will be second only to 2016), weather will get "stranger."

Great amounts of snowfall does not really mean colder. They mean that there is more moisture in the atmosphere. But you do know that global warming does not mean that no where will ever be cold?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
a reply to: Arbitrageur

I did say a grape would move toward the magnet I was wrong, I have slapped myself around my face banged my head against the wall and have electrocuted my testicles now can we move on.?
That guy is doing an experiment on a grape with a magnet, and you say water and magnet have no effect
Where did I say "water and magnet have no effect"?

well the magnetic poles might when strong, cause a pressure on the dense water vapored air of the tropics , thus keeping the polar vortex nice and tight. So when the pressure comes off, like moves to Siberia, the wobbles start. But to say a magnet has no effect on water when you can see it working on the grape is just argumentative.
Can we say the effect of a magnet on liquid water is so small that in everyday life it's almost impossible to notice? That's how the author of this youtube experiment puts it:

"Anti" Magnetic water and Levitating Graphite by Diamagnetism

Water is diamagnetic, meaning it's slightly repelled by a magnetic field. But in everyday life this is almost impossible to notice. We need to build a very sensitive detector to see it...It's a very small force

Then there's the issue of a grape having liquid water, but you start talking about water vapor which is a gas, not a liquid.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

you made 3 statements of "fact" without providing a Source as usual you seem to think you are above the standards of proving your opinion. Why can you not provide a source like you expect everyone else to do.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Look how heavy the Earth is, and look how power full the gravity of the Sun is to hold it in orbit. You would think if I stood in the midday sun I would be lighter because the suns pull is making me lighter. well it does but not so youd notice . But the pull on the whole mass is enough to keep it in orbit. This is the same as the push on the whole of the water evaporating from the tropics. from the diamagnetic force, moving the poles has to have some effect.
Anyway water vapor are small particles of water suspended in the air, steam is a Gas of water.
edit on 17-5-2020 by anonentity because: adding

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   

But the pull on the whole mass is enough to keep it in orbit.

You are in orbit too. If you stepped off the Earth somehow, you would continue to be so. A baseball would do so. It has nothing to do with "the whole mass."

But the Earth's mass produces so much more effect than the Sun that the Sun, as you said, has no practical effect on your weight, whatsoever. Now, go from the pole to the equator and you will actually be measurable lighter. You know why? Mostly because of what is commonly called "centrifugal force" but what is more accurately called angular momentum.

That same force is what causes the entire Earth, including the atmosphere and oceans to bulge slightly at the equator. That one force is far, far stronger than any magnetic influence on liquid water. And there are other forces far more powerful than that. Earth's magnetic field is not one of them.

moving the poles has to have some effect.
No. Not really.

Anyway water vapor are small particles of water suspended in the air, steam is a Gas of water.

"Steam" is not a gas. Steam is droplets of liquid water, each droplet consisting of very many molecules. One can see steam.

Water vapor is individual water molecules. In the atmosphere, mixed with very many other molecules. Nitrogen molecules, Oxygen molecules. Carbon dioxide molecules. None of which are affected by magnetism in any appreciable manner because they are gasses. One cannot see water vapor.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:59 AM
link   

This is weather records and weather forecast not Climate, the weather in 2020 will probably be effected more by the solar forcing during a solar minimum.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:01 AM
link   

A common conjecture.

How was weather affected by the previous solar minimum in 2008?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:06 AM
link   

why don't you provide a source and even some sort of value add for why the 2020 solar Minimum will not be the same as the 2020.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzled2

why don't you provide a source and even some sort of value add for why the 2020 solar Minimum will not be the same as the 2020.

Pretty sure the 2020 solar minimum will be exactly the same as the 2020.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Now, go from the pole to the equator and you will actually be measurable lighter.
were is the source for this measurable fact of moving dieting?

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Nothing to do with dieting. Surely you are aware that weight and mass are not the same thing?

Here's one source. You can probably find others.
www.thenakedscientists.com...

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I can and did but you didn't and that is the point you are very opinionated and fail to provide a source for those opinions.

here you dismiss anonentity

moving the poles has to have some effect.

with a -

No. Not really.

But no source or even information just dismissed.

The magnetic field is moving and weakening and will cause a difference on the climate over the next decade due to solar forcing.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join