It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Face Masks Pose Serious Risks To The Healthy

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

But you don't wear a mask even now knowing that speech is as bad as coughing when it comes to transmission of particles and a mask will cut that way down?

No, I don't know what is not true. Speech is not "as bad" as coughing. Much less force and projection with normal speech than with coughing.

Further, you do not even know that I am a threat to anyone. It is quite likely that I have already been infected and developed antibodies, and I could not infect anyone if I tried.

SOoo what precautions do you take when you go out?

Starting with basic hygiene, washing my hands and face before going out, pulling my hair back into a braid or ponytail, brushing my teeth and gargling with peroxide or antiseptic mouthwash. Using things like no contact curbside pickup. Using drive-thrus where I can roll my window down enough to have a conversation, but still high enough to provide a shield. Bringing my own sanitary wipes -- and using them -- so that anything and everything I touch has been cleaned before AND after I touch it. If I have to hand my bankcard to the cashier, I wipe it down first and hand it to them using the wipe. Shopping during the "vulnerable" hours (yes, I qualify) when the store is pretty much empty, and using self-checkout so that no one has to touch anything that I've touched. And when I get home, I wipe down my steering wheel and other controls and the door handle, so that my vehicle is clean the next time I get into it.

And since I'm a creature of habit, frequenting the same shops for years and years, I am mostly known where I go, and I have been thanked for my efforts.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
I have the autoimmune lung disorder sarcoidosis and heart problems and can not wear a N95 type mask as I get very short of breath due to carbon dioxide accumulation

I can wear a surgical-type mask for very short periods just long enough to get into a store grab what I need and get out but I still feel short of breath and my heart rate goes up.

So I guess you didn't need this thread to know the risks involved! I'm glad you do know the risks, know your limits and challenges, and can act accordingly.

As someone in this position, if you had the option of shopping without a mask during designated hours with others who choose not to wear a mask, would you do so? Or would you feel better shopping with others also wearing masks (employees included)? Or would it depend on circumstances?

I have noticed people that wear a N95 anytime they are outside even driving in a car with the windows up and alone.

I wonder if some people will get into car accidents due to carbon dioxide accumulation or other problems.

This has apparently happened, I believe in New York. Someone who was driving and had been wearing the mask too long did wreck. No one else was injured, and I believe they only suffered minor injuries. I thought at the time probably for the same reason drunks often walk away from accidents barely scathed, because they are unconscious and their body is completely relaxed at the point of impact.

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

No, I don't know what is not true. Speech is not "as bad" as coughing. Much less force and projection with normal speech than with coughing.

You don't "know" that, it seems you haven't actually followed any of the testing so here you go...

Further, you do not even know that I am a threat to anyone. It is quite likely that I have already been infected and developed antibodies, and I could not infect anyone if I tried.

So once again you have no clue, so you are just justify your reasons here..lol

edit on 16-5-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
gonna call Big Shenanigans on this whole thing;
furries wear massive heavy suits and masks and headcover and have you seen what they get up to at their conventions?
and there only seems to be more of them every year so...

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Reporters only wear masks because its the politically-correct thing to do, when the cameras are on.

CNN White House Correspondent Can't Wait to get her mask off: nypost.com...

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 03:28 AM
link   

You don't "know" that, it seems you haven't actually followed any of the testing so here you go...

LOL! Changing the goalposts!!! We weren't talking about speech with a mask and without.

I repeat: I don't know that speech is just as bad as coughing "right into someone's face" because that isn't true.

And, again, you have no idea if I -- or anyone -- is even infectious. For all you know, I -- or anyone -- has already had the virus and therefore cannot be a threat to anyone.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 03:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder
gonna call Big Shenanigans on this whole thing;
furries wear massive heavy suits and masks and headcover and have you seen what they get up to at their conventions?
and there only seems to be more of them every year so...

Not comparable. Apparently they not only have vents in their costumes/masks to allow fresh air in (Goggle is my friend), they still struggle to breathe in their costumes. Both Quora and Reddit have questions/answers regarding this very problem. And then there's this:

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Reporters only wear masks because its the politically-correct thing to do, when the cameras are on.

CNN White House Correspondent Can't Wait to get her mask off: nypost.com...

Oh my... she couldn't get it off fast enough, could she?

I saw similar set of pictures recently, one with all the reporters wearing their masks, sitting in their chairs six feet apart, all prim and proper... then another pic immediately after standing and walking and all suddenly mask free...

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Apparently the brute force approach to enforcing face masks didn't work out well:

NYPD will no longer arrest or ticket people for not wearing masks

The NYPD will no longer make arrests or hand out tickets if people flout the mask-covering rules in the Big Apple, the mayor said Friday.

“Absent a serious danger to the public, NYPD will not take enforcement actions for failing to wear face coverings,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said during his daily press conference.

Police Commissioner Dermot Shea sent a department-wide email just after the mayor’s remarks telling cops, “We will keep educating people about the benefits — to all of us — of individuals wearing face coverings.”

“Moving forward, however, we will no longer issue summonses or make arrests for infractions related to face coverings — absent of a crime or other violation being committed.

Congrats to the people of NYC and thank Heaven for small wonders!

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wisconsin Business Bans Wearing Masks After Stay-At-Home Order Overturned

Annie's Campground, near Gresham, Wisconsin, posted the new rule on the establishment's Facebook page: "Masks are NOT allowed in the buildings for safety sake. They are viewed as a robbery in progress and will be handled that way." The post goes on to list planned events and food items available to patrons for the May 15-17 weekend, before thanking patrons in its conclusion.

"I added no masks when entering my main building because this is the perfect time for the bad guys to take advantage of any small business and rob them because it is now 'normal' to wear a mask. A couple days ago, several small businesses in Shawano were robbed, or the attempt was made to rob them," Retzlaff stated in an email.

She's right. This is another serious risk face masks pose to the healthy.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

LOL! Changing the goalposts!!! We weren't talking about speech with a mask and without.

I repeat: I don't know that speech is just as bad as coughing "right into someone's face" because that isn't true.

And, again, you have no idea if I -- or anyone -- is even infectious. For all you know, I -- or anyone -- has already had the virus and therefore cannot be a threat to anyone.

If you stand 6 feet away and cough, or you stand 6 feet away and have a conversation in both cases particles WILL be passed. How can you say otherwise? I didn't move a single goal post as in my very first post I stated that the mask is to prevent particles from being passed during speech. I have said this over and over. I also said that using a mask LOWERS the transmission of the particles DURING SPEECH to about that of normal breathing. In test I included in my past post it showed a large amount of particles from speech and almost zero with a mask on saying the same sentence.

What makes this virus worse than the normal flu is as you say...you have no idea if anyone has it as it can be contagious without symptoms, so your second sentence literally make zero sense...lol

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Qatar launches world's toughest punishments with three years in jail and £45,000 fines for anyone not wearing a face mask as it battles one of globe's highest coronavirus infection rates

More than 30,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the tiny Gulf country - 1.1 percent of the 2.75 million population - although just 15 people have died. Only the micro-states of San Marino and the Vatican had higher per-capita infection rates, according to the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Violators of Qatar's new rules will face up to three years in jail and fines of as much as $55,000.

Wearing a mask is currently mandatory in around 50 countries, although scientists are divided on their effectiveness. Authorities in Chad have made it an offence to be unmasked in public, on pain of 15 days in prison. In Morocco similar rules can see violators jailed for three months and fined up to 1,300 dirhams ($130).

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   

If you stand 6 feet away and cough, or you stand 6 feet away and have a conversation in both cases particles WILL be passed. How can you say otherwise?

For one thing, viral load... specifically caused by the greater number/quantity of virus cells which are transmitted by a forceful projecting cough, as opposed to normal speech. Increased number/quantity of virus cells can become a viral overload, which can result in more severe symptoms and complications. I've explained it several times. You don't have to like my answer, you can ignore my answer, but it's going to remain the same.

I didn't move a single goal post as in my very first post I stated that the mask is to prevent particles from being passed during speech. I have said this over and over. I also said that using a mask LOWERS the transmission of the particles DURING SPEECH to about that of normal breathing. In test I included in my past post it showed a large amount of particles from speech and almost zero with a mask on saying the same sentence.

What makes this virus worse than the normal flu is as you say...you have no idea if anyone has it as it can be contagious without symptoms, so your second sentence literally make zero sense...lol

That's ridiculous. All of it. We have no idea if anyone has any virus... neither our knowledge nor ignorance of this is "worse" because it's this virus. The truth remains the same. And it makes absolutely no sense to say that this virus is more dangerous or just as dangerous if someone does NOT have it and is NOT infectious... OR if the person has already had it and therefore cannot infect anyone or cannot be infected by anyone. There is nothing dangerous or risky about someone who cannot infect anyone!!!

FEAR is the only factor that is "worse," and that's purely on the individual. The risk of infection remains exactly the same regardless of one's knowledge or one's fear.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

More than 30,000 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in the tiny Gulf country - 1.1 percent of the 2.75 million population - although just 15 people have died.

That's crazy.

Can't help but feel for the police officers who are expected to put themselves in harm's way to enforce the law and cite/arrest the violators... everywhere.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   

For one thing, viral load... specifically caused by the greater number/quantity of virus cells which are transmitted by a forceful projecting cough, as opposed to normal speech.

Are you saying that 6 six protects everyone without a mask due to you need your viral load to get it?

That's ridiculous. All of it. We have no idea if anyone has any virus... neither our knowledge nor ignorance of this is "worse" because it's this virus. The truth remains the same. And it makes absolutely no sense to say that this virus is more dangerous or just as dangerous if someone does NOT have it and is NOT infectious... OR if the person has already had it and therefore cannot infect anyone or cannot be infected by anyone. There is nothing dangerous or risky about someone who cannot infect anyone!!!

I did not say a single thing about what you suggest right here....I never said if you had it and now have anti bodies you can still spread...stop trying to suggest something that no one is saying...lol

I said, you do not know if you had it or not, and you may not know if you have it right now and are contagious... How do you think it spreads in care centers so fast...they ain't swapping spit... Workers family members come there and have it and do not know they are contagious while all they do is talk to the patients.

BTW I really don't care if I get it or not, most likely will... I'm older but super healthy with zerto preexisting conditions, so no fear here. I just understand the need to slow the spread and to do that you need some social distancing, washing of hands after you left a public place where others are at, try not to touch your eyes, nose, mouth until you do wash your hands, and in public places where there is a need for everyone to go like a grocery store you should wear a mask. If you are going to the beach, bar, restaurant etc those are not needs, and so don't wear I don't care as it is everyone's choice there and they are not places people need to go. But if you are at the grocery store and a 80 year old lady is in front of you it is rather insensitive not to have a mask on since she needs to go there to get food.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
at 8:32 AM today (May 17th) eastern time I checked out at the Walmart grocery with $28.12 of needed items to stay isolated for the rest of the month of May

face mask and gloves on

the problem was... after entering the food store, my hyper sensitive nose started sending signals to my brain that the store was reeking in germs/dust/bacteria, and I get dizzy from the presence of dirt-germs that gets suspended in the air ((likely a vacuum cleaner blowing unfiltered dust into the environment))

the store is in Myrtle Beach, 38th Ave. North, store # 02870...

if any of youse guys track this kind of stuff... I take the stand that there might well be a pocket-of-infections of Coronavirus that spread out from that particular 'Neighborhood Market' at the intersection of 38th Ave North & Kings Highway (business) in the Tourist Town of Myrtle B each, SC

I had no authority to tell of my incident/case to, so I am alerting the public via this posting on ATS

I had a stroke/brain hemorrhage years ago and I have an acquired gift of snooting out germs or health hazards as I get a sudden case of Vertigo when in the vicinity of poops, decayed material, slime, dust or other contaminated dirt...even sheets or pillows that had a pet on them sets off my sensitive sensors in the nose and I require a dose of motion-sickness medication (meclizine)

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

...after entering the food store, my hyper sensitive nose started sending signals to my brain that the store was reeking in germs/dust/bacteria...

Thanks for posting. Folks will take it for what they consider it's worth, but it might help someone(s).

Is this a store you frequent often? If so, I assume this isn't something you've noted before?

And before anyone decides to question the poster's ability to sniff out "germs/dust/bacteria," I'll just throw out that I can smell infections and bad food from a mile away... It might have saved my sister's life after surgery once.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I was thinking exhaled air is 4% CO2, and while the mask probably let's some of that out, I wonder what % of CO2 you are breathing in while wearing masks.

3% CO2 is where they say your performance becomes impaired due to suffocation.

10% CO2 will quickly kill you.

I'm wondering if those news stories I read about "happy hypoxia" are more due to the wearing masks then they are COVID 19

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   

appreciate your anecdote, important in the Practical World, gives a meaning to the phrase of 'Passing the 'smell test'

that WMT Neighborhood market/grocery is 10 blocks away from my house so pre-pandemic I would drive the utility golf-car to that semi-Mall that has Hooters & a Dollar Tree along with the Walmart store

I quit going to the BI-LO grocery after WalMart opened .... mainly because the BI-LO had the same sanitation problem when they cleaned their Food Freezers... the past BI-LO gave way to a Food Lion takeover --->>
which I use only when I need to go to the Lowe's home improvement store that's a mile past Food Lion...
bigger store but totally more expensive than my liking

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: IrisMoonie

I was thinking exhaled air is 4% CO2, and while the mask probably let's some of that out, I wonder what % of CO2 you are breathing in while wearing masks.

3% CO2 is where they say your performance becomes impaired due to suffocation.

10% CO2 will quickly kill you.

I didn't know this -- thank you!

I'm wondering if those news stories I read about "happy hypoxia" are more due to the wearing masks then they are COVID 19

Very interesting thought. It makes sense to me, so I would not be surprised.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join