It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitch McConnell's Patriot Act expansion would hand William Barr unprecedented spy powers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   
We're coming up almost 20 years for the Patriot Act? Looks like it's not going anywhere for some time. It's so popular it's being extended.

McConnell's amendment, which the Senate began debating Wednesday as lawmakers took up the reauthorization of the 2001 PATRIOT Act, would explicitly permit the FBI to collect records of Americans' internet search and browsing histories without a warrant. It would also mandate that Attorney General William Barr, and his successors, conduct an annual review of the FBI's submissions into the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court.

Source

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet? We use to be rather vocal about government spying back in the days, now all of a sudden we're silent? Long are the days of Edward Snowden right? I'm not sure what McConnell's justification is here? I can't see any? Only a few Senators have been vocal as well. This extension got the support of the vast majority of the Senate. It also didn't get this far without the approval of the house. Something's got to give at some point.

The legislation passed the Senate 80-16 on Thursday. The bill is a bipartisan compromise that has the support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. The Justice Department, which had been part of the negotiations, said it appreciated that the expired authorities had been reauthorized but expressed disappointment with the tweaked version of the bill that ultimately passed

Source

Yep, birds of a feather.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

~Yawn~

What actually happened is that the Reauthorization Act passed, the Amendment failed by one vote.

Here is how it currently works and why an Amendment was needed...

Right now the Government can collect web browsing and internet search history without a warrant under section 215 of the PATRIOT Act. Section 215, from the beginning, has been the most controversial and dangerous provision of the FISA law. That is because it is so extraordinarily broad and so vague. Under section 215, the Government can collect just about anything, as long as the Government believes it is relevant to an investigation. This can include the private lives of many innocent, law abiding Americans. As I indicated, they don't have to do anything wrong. They don't have to be suspected of anything. They don't even have to have been in contact with anyone suspected of anything. Their personal information in some way just has to be connected for relevance to what the Government is looking for."

Article Here

The Amendment would have required a warrant to access an American citizen's browsing history.

Again, it lost by one vote.

4 Senators did not vote, most notably Bernie Sanders.

China Mitch gets paid a lot by the same people Pelosi does, so I can see why the approval by both of them...

There is also absolutely nothing wrong with having some oversight on FISA applications.

Especially after the left has appeared to have weaponized the process.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:45 PM
link   

It would also mandate that Attorney General William Barr, and his successors, conduct an annual review of the FBI's submissions into the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court.

Now why do you suppose that would be added Mr. Southern Guardian?

Could it be because your party took full advantage of every single loophole in the FISA process to abuse it in attempts to overthrow a sitting president?

Hmmm.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

~Yawn~

So McConnell did try and extend powers no?

And reauthorization was passed by the majority in the end?

What's your point?

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   

An amendment proposed by Wyden and Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), which would have required the Justice Department to show probable cause before collecting data under the PATRIOT Act, was voted down by one vote on Wednesday. Journalist Jeremy Scahill denounced 10 Democratic senators who joined the majority of Republicans in opposing the bill, as well as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who did not attend the vote.

The day Bernie endorsed Biden, I knew he was had.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   

odd that it started in the house then went to the senate but some how its mconnels fault not the 275 house members that voted for it www.congress.gov...

Sponsor: Rep. Nadler, Jerrold [D-NY-10] (Introduced 03/10/2020)
USA FREEDOM Reauthorization Act of 2020 is what its called but sure its all the turtles fault not the gremlin nadlers

edit to add

www.lawfareblog.com... and the proposed amendments to it in regards to FISA

The Paul Amendment,The Wyden-Daines Amendment(failed by one vote with some not voting see bernie sanders) ,The Leahy-Lee Amendment,and Mcconnel amendment which may interest some as it has to do with FISA warants against campaigns

edit on 15-5-2020 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

~Yawn~

So McConnell did try and extend powers no?

And reauthorization was passed by the majority in the end?

What's your point?

The point of that post is to downplay anything that paints Republicans in a bad light. As usual.

If you haven’t noticed, it isn’t freedom, rights, or the constitution any of these people care about. It’s party loyalty. And defending their party however crooked and authoritarian it is because something something Democrats.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

REMINDER....
This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!
All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)
Please read ......
No Political Trolling.....either in words or images.
Is There Civilization Without Civility

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

We use to be rather vocal about government spying back in the days, now all of a sudden we're silent?

yeah we are only silent because Trump is president. We should be after everybody on the patriot act and censorship as well.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
And I’d like to add, from reading the actual bill it seems that senators and representatives are excluded.

As is tradition.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

An amendment proposed by Wyden and Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), which would have required the Justice Department to show probable cause before collecting data under the PATRIOT Act, was voted down by one vote on Wednesday. Journalist Jeremy Scahill denounced 10 Democratic senators who joined the majority of Republicans in opposing the bill, as well as Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who did not attend the vote.

again... afterall, he did the same thing in 2016, ya? This one isn't on Bernie. Have his supporters ever heard of "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?"

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I dislike the warrantless search stuff, but I'm not seeing any issue with mandating the AG reviews FISA submissions. Seems like oversight of that previously misused for political gain system is sorely needed.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
For a website that frequently crows loud and long about how stupid it is that police departments can investigate their own misdeeds, alleged or otherwise, the sudden latching on to “well the AG gets to review everything so it’s fine” is absolutely preposterous and baffling.

And that’s not even touching on the lack of batting an eyelash at the continued hoovering up of your internet browser data so long as the FBI says its relevant to something they’re doing.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:48 PM
link   

We're coming up almost 20 years for the Patriot Act? Looks like it's not going anywhere for some time. It's so popular it's being extended.

McConnell's amendment, which the Senate began debating Wednesday as lawmakers took up the reauthorization of the 2001 PATRIOT Act, would explicitly permit the FBI to collect records of Americans' internet search and browsing histories without a warrant. It would also mandate that Attorney General William Barr, and his successors, conduct an annual review of the FBI's submissions into the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court.

Source

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet? We use to be rather vocal about government spying back in the days, now all of a sudden we're silent? Long are the days of Edward Snowden right? I'm not sure what McConnell's justification is here? I can't see any? Only a few Senators have been vocal as well. This extension got the support of the vast majority of the Senate. It also didn't get this far without the approval of the house. Something's got to give at some point.

The legislation passed the Senate 80-16 on Thursday. The bill is a bipartisan compromise that has the support of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. The Justice Department, which had been part of the negotiations, said it appreciated that the expired authorities had been reauthorized but expressed disappointment with the tweaked version of the bill that ultimately passed

Source

Yep, birds of a feather.

Not so sure about that, McConnell didn't put forward his amendment...and it about was something that was already being done anyway, McConnell's amendment was to rubber stamp what was already being done. There was accommodation though, an amendment by senators Leahy and Lee, gave the FISA court oversight, or some oversight, which on the face of it is fairer that the almost automatic granting of FISA warrants as was...That vote was the 80-16
It doesn't blindside the Patriot act entirely, but does give the FISA court some independence...the extent of that though, I don't know, I guess maybe like the four seasons if court members are political, or if they are not.

In edit, the amendment includes an amicus curae....a neutral third-party observer, who will access to all court documents as given to the court, and raise any issue with the court. The court it seems can decide if a third party observer appointment is appropriate..whatever you make out of that.

edit on 15-5-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

The problem with that is the fact that, at least recently, the FBI has been drifting back towards the almost rogue status they had when the transvestite was in charge of the agency for nearly 50 years. It seems like the FBI Director hides an awful lot from the AG's office... which this action does address. That said, I can't disagree with you when you allude to that not being far enough. There should be another level of oversight, from totally outside the DOJ, examining all of this crap. That's not going to happen, though... so in absence of that pipedream, at least this is a step towards some level of actual oversight.

I don't think the AG is real chummy with the FBI. Not exactly the same as letting police forces self investigate, IMO at least.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

again... afterall, he did the same thing in 2016, ya? This one isn't on Bernie. Have his supporters ever heard of "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?"

Bernie needs to take some responsibility. Actions speak louder than words. He's made choices.

I'd rather go out fighting for what I believe than settled the lesser evil. No excuse.

Anyway, sorry to deviate. I may respond more in depth on a thread about him.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Don’t disagree at all that the bureau is getting lost in the weeds again. While the AG and the bureau may not be bedfellows, they’re certainly kissing cousins. And bear in mind it’s an annual review. Which means any oversight will be after the fact, in some cases months and months after the fact. And Barr won’t be the AG forever. It’s only a matter of time until another Reno or Ashcroft is in the fancy chair again.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   
In my opinion: McConnel is a snake.

BUSH Patriot act needs to be abolished. Same with NDAA indefinite detention passed under OBAMA.

I'm happy with many things Trumps doing (abolish TPP/NAFTA) but this authoritarian crap needs to go extinct no matter if it comes from Democrats or Republicans.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   

This is why we need a line-item veto.

I have no problem with FISA oversight. In fact, I don't think anyone involved with the FISA courts should be let outside without a spit cup and helmet.

But the amendment to make these crooked bastards go the extra step of getting a warrant to spy on their own citizens? That was gold, so of course the numpty authoritarians in Congress squashed it.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This is somewhat related. Here McConnell admits he lied about Obama.

McConnel takes lessons from Trump in distortions and lies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join