It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fired Parkland School Massacre Police Sergeant Will Be Reinstated With Full Back Pay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Great. This just reinforces my loathing for Public Sector Unions. Well, they won and this guy gets a few hundred K and his seniority back. Glad he will be feasting off the Florida taxpayers for the rest of his life with his pension.

Bet nobody saw this coming. A great win for the Police Union there.

www.miamiherald.com...

The Broward Sheriff’s Office sergeant who was the first supervisor to respond to the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting and lost his job after it was found he hid behind his car as the first shots rang out, will be reinstated, awarded full back pay and get back his seniority, the BSO Deputies Association said Wednesday.

Sgt. Brian Miller was one of the four deputies who were terminated because of a “neglect of duty” in the Feb. 14, 2018, Parkland shooting, which killed 17 students and faculty members and injured another 17.

www.policemag.com...

Miller will receive considerable money when reinstated. He was paid more than $137,000 in 2018. That includes a year’s salary, any overtime that he would have received, as well as medical reimbursements, paid holidays and time off.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

What does the RINO in charge have to say about that?

lulz

another phony conservative

I will walk back my words if he proves himself.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

My understanding he was instructed not to do anything. If that is true he was in a catch 22. Either way he's likely going to get fired but the honorable thing to do was get in there and try to defend the defenseless. Probably could have easily killed him if he was half a decent shot. He will always be the biggest coward in the county. Sometimes you have to fight. He will now be fighting the rest of his life with it on what he should have done. No money is ever going to make that go away.

edit on 14-5-2020 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Let me see if I understand this correctly.

Draw an absorbanent level of pay for years of sitting on your a$$, harrassing teenagers.

When the day comes that your services are actually needed in a life or death situation, you hide like a coward, while children are slaughtered.

Then you get full back pay, full retirement, and do not have to answer for your cowardly innaction and incompetence ??????

Wow.....

I can't imaging most officers I have met being on board with this. I understand the blue wall. I dont like it, but I understand it.

This specific situation should be loudly denounced by every LEO, in any capacity.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

My understanding he was instructed not to do anything. If that is true he was in a catch 22. Either way he's likely going to get fired but the honorable thing to do was get in there and try to defend the defenseless. Probably could have easily killed him if he was half a decent shot. He always be the biggest coward in the country. Sometimes you have to fight.

You might not have understood who I was talking about and I wouldn't blame you. I was talking about the governor of Florida.

As a veteran I despise the coward who let children die because of his fear of death.

I hope I cleared up my poorly written intention of my initial post?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

My understanding he was instructed not to do anything. If that is true he was in a catch 22. Either way he's likely going to get fired but the honorable thing to do was get in there and try to defend the defenseless. Probably could have easily killed him if he was half a decent shot. He will always be the biggest coward in the county. Sometimes you have to fight. He will now be fighting the rest of his life with it on what he should have done. No money is ever going to make that go away.

Bull..... I don't care what his "instructions" were. You don't stand idly by, while children are murderd en masse.

If that were the case, why did they need him there at all? Might as well have an unarmed Wackenhut guy there for $30,000/yr.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Dbl
edit on 5142020 by Mach2 because: Dbl

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Was always going to happen this way, yes its terrible, yes it shouldn't happen, and Yes the Union fanbois will be along to say how great unions are.

But there are cases out there where people were convicted of a crime (bribery and witness intimidation) and got their jobs back thanks to unions.

Sad thing is the fan bois dont understand why people are turning anti-union, pick your fights... unions still have a place but they should step away in situations like this or you cut off your nose to spite the face.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

My understanding he was instructed not to do anything.

He was the first supervisor on scene, so nobody told him to do anything. He hid behind his patrol car while other deputies and officers ran past him. And when a supervisor senior to him showed up, she also did nothing and issued no orders.

BSO had absolutely ineffectual training and a poorly written policy that allowed deputies to believe they were not required to interdict the shooter but could sit back and wait.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I work for a sheriffs dept and let me say I am SHOCKED AS HELL this happened .

the arbitrator should be FIRED for ruling like this and the union should be ashamed at fighting for this guy.

especially given the most flimsy excuse he was "ordered" not to act.

the whole damn reason he was there was just for a situation like this.

now look I dont expect an officer (no matter who the victims are) to act stupidly or recklessly.
for example just blindly rushing in or just slinging lead.

but he didnt even go in but HID .

hell this guy was a SARGENT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
he was supposed to be better trained and dedicated to his job (not thats an excuse for a deputy not to act) .

he CLEARLY FAILED TO ACT in a reasonable manor.
hell he wasnt even under fire and HAD BACKUP THERE AS WELL so he would not have been going it alone.

as someone else pointed out he was STILL HIDING when others were rushing in instead of leading them (as he was supposedly trained to do).

now on a conspiratorial note notice the CAPT was allowed to retire before any disciplinary action and ONLY THIS GUY A SARGENT was reinstated.

but the four "just deputies" are hung out (note NOT SAYING THEY DESERVE TO GET THEIR JOBS BACK, THEY DONT) out to dry.

hmmmmmm

scrounger

PS I dont know any city or county officer that would have acted this way nor tolerated those that did
most I know would petition the union to drop / not defend anyone who acted this way.

edit on 15-5-2020 by scrounger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I'm not surprised by this at all. The Supreme Court has already confirmed that Police do not have a duty to protect ANY of us. It's a waste of money for schools to hire off-duty police officer to be a worthless scare crow.

new topics

top topics

join