It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Essential workers" do not deserve "hazard pay" for working during Covid-19 pandemic

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: face23785

I was deputized by my county sheriff with unrestricted travel, to be essential, and deliver food, medicine, and care to the blind, disabled elderly in my small village. The county health services are shut down as is "meals on wheels" etc.

I consider it an honor and blessed to be able to contribute to our community. I don't expect anything and I'm still working unrestricted for my usual union scale.

Just stop with your b.s.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508
I'll make sure to pass this info on to my daughter the CCU RN who is currently in quarantine after being exposed while caring for a patient that was admitted for other reasons and developed COVID while in the hospital. I'm sure she will agree.

Of course she'd disagree, it'd be admitting she isn't truly owed a fat wad of extra & more special cash just for going to work.

Look, everyone wants that extra dough, my husband would love to have it, "burning the country down in style" as he's called it (being an essential frontliner industry he's in) But, as he says, it's $25 grand for what? Clocking in? Wow, if that's all it takes to get free money anymore on top of a paycheck...
edit on 5/14/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What are RN's making these days? 60? 70 an hour?
Plus all the overtime they can eat?

They were essential before they were officially labeled "essential". That's why people chose these career fields.... It's called JOB SECURITY. The pay isn't too shabby either.

Giving them hazard pay is like the public apologizing for them being naive.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Agreed. I am making more, and I mean a lot more money then pre-covid times.
Never been busier.
Nobody we know is sick or has been sick.
700 000 in our community and only one in the hospital.
Not much of a safety issue here.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   

This will probably piss a lot of people off too but you aren't smart enough to say for sure what the risk is. Also, people who have been financially devastated by this ought to make sure they are better prepared for financial issues. You know? Good conservative principals.

Also, thanks for whatever-the-hell-it-is you do. I'm sure you're awesome.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Not every essential worker is in some high paying field like being a nurse.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:39 PM
link   

'thank you for your service'

'#-bag soldier-----hoooah!'

'you bagged my groceries so nicely'

actually you tossed them because you were afraid of my hands.

i am sick of this Snip.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

And they wonder why most people don't want to go the hospital.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Essential worker, or its good to actually have a job still to do....

I think the fact that all of us still working over the 30+ million who are not have already gained a good deal in keeping our paychecks.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

UMMMM because there isn't a magical money fairy.

Really? With the way this administration is printing it up by the boat load and handing much of it over to large corporations? That sure sounds like a magical money fairy to me. Why not you?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Nurses aren't making that much money. Starting pay is $25 for low cost states and $35 for high cost states.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Illegals in the fields still picking are essential too, so give them 25k, its all good....

link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

My dude... It's the "eternalshadow." You might as well clap "We Will Rock You" with one hand.

link   
Does congreess get this hazard pay along with all the pages working with the Washington DC pedos?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   
At the moment I don't work as such.....neither do I get benefits.

But during this outbreak I look after my nine year old Grandson - my daughter is a theatre nurse working in a Cardiovascular department and COVID-19 ward when there are no schedulaed heart operations.
I feed him and tend to all his needs and I try to keep up with his learning via school work posted online and BBC Bitesize.

My wife is very ill at present and try my best to look after her.

My parents are both well in to their 70's and I do most of their shopping - obviously as well as my own - pay their bills and look after any other concerns they may have.
My parents are full time carers for my younger brother who is severely phsically and mentally handicapped - there are new PC labels for it now but I'm sure you understand.

In the midst of all this I try to keep my own sanity whilst also having a long term medical condition myself - which I think I'm nearly recovered from.

I'm researching and preparing for the start up of a couple of new businesses which will also aid and support other small businesses whilst also considering some personal long term options.

Could someone please give me some money.....but as I don't work I must be lazy and expext people to do everything for me so I'm worthless to society blah blah blah.

Oh, and I'm certainly not 'essential' or 'key'.
edit on 14/5/20 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Yep. I looked at that after it was posted and thunk about it. I kept coming up with pour but knew that was wrong so I just waited for someone to come along and smooth out my brain for me. Thanks Muninn.

edit on 31America/ChicagoThu, 14 May 2020 12:47:27 -0500Thu, 14 May 2020 12:47:27 -050020052020-05-14T12:47:27-05:001200000047 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

In any descent community/state/nation, with any kind of pride in itself at all, you would be treasured, valued and supported -- even with money -- at all times but especially now.

/salute

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Illegals in the fields still picking are essential too, so give them 25k, its all good....

Yes!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I'm going to piss some people here off, but, I'm going to say it anyway. This "hazardous duty pay" is a sop to the unions. Plain and simple. So's this whole "hero" bit. People, you knew that there was a possibility of the job being dangerous when you took it. Well it got a bit dangerous. Nobody forced you to enter the field and you can leave any time you wish. The same thing with the military. Back when there was a Draft and you DIDN'T have a choice, it made more sense. I did time in the Navy. I volunteered to join, I volunteered for Aircrew, I volunteered to work on the flight deck. I knew what could happen, what did happen to people I knew and I still did it any way.

In my opinion the girl working the checkout line at the grocery store is more deserving of "hazardous duty pay" than the doctors, nurses, police and fire people. Nobody knew that her job could become dangerous (notice I didn't mention convenience store clerks) but, she still keeps working.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Spot TF on! You are so much less sarcastic than I am. It's refreshing. Thank you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join