It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, here we go again!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

All those cows are MIA too, and I went by the guy's place who owns them but there was no one there. Didn't see the cows down by his corrals either. He's leasing a much larger piece of land than we own, and those cows could be anywhere. There's so much terrain around here, they could be just anywhere. They get down in those hollows and ravines at night, and you can't see a damn thing. Plus, these guys have a really nasty bull(3 ri ngs in his nose) and he's got horns too, so I definitely don't want to be walking up on him in a draw at night! And, can't drive the truck out there either, it's too steep and deep.

Dammit...I'm really worried about that boy Jack!

This is really not a good night!

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Supposed to be a 3rd quarter moon tonight, but it doesn't come up until 8am. So it's dark as sh** out tonight! Pitch black. Can't see a damn thing right now.

Went out to look for him just now, and he's nowhere to be found. Girls aren't happy either. They all followed me and the wife up to the high pasture and when we were calling him, they were bawling loudly too. Nothing.

This sucks!!

This does suck, I know that diet woke was looking forward to meeting jack.

😯

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Muninn

Supposed to be a 3rd quarter moon tonight, but it doesn't come up until 8am. So it's dark as sh** out tonight! Pitch black. Can't see a damn thing right now.

Went out to look for him just now, and he's nowhere to be found. Girls aren't happy either. They all followed me and the wife up to the high pasture and when we were calling him, they were bawling loudly too. Nothing.

This sucks!!

This does suck, I know that diet woke was looking forward to meeting jack.

😯

Hey I was invited, remember?..

Anyways no need to kick the fella when he's down.

edit on 13-5-2020 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: DietWoke

And you're still invited. (and you also have a PM).

Just, tonight wouldn't be as fun as most, as we'd be looking for a bull in the dark. Which sucks!

Not having a good night tonight.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Muninn

Maybe...maybe not.

I will let him decide.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I just don't know where that damn boy is.

And it's driving me crazy!

This has got to be close to my worst nightmare. He's way too big to get into an alley or chute to load him into a trailer, so even if we find him somewhere it's going to take a whole bunch of people to get him loaded. He's not rowdy or wild, but he's just a big behemoth, and he's a bull. He's actually a really good boy, but he's just HUGE.

And honestly, I don't think he stands a chance against the bull in the other pasture. That boy is a killing machine, and his nose rings tell the story too! He charged me once from the other side of the fence even! This just totally sucks!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Iscool

All those cows are MIA too, and I went by the guy's place who owns them but there was no one there. Didn't see the cows down by his corrals either. He's leasing a much larger piece of land than we own, and those cows could be anywhere. There's so much terrain around here, they could be just anywhere. They get down in those hollows and ravines at night, and you can't see a damn thing. Plus, these guys have a really nasty bull(3 ri ngs in his nose) and he's got horns too, so I definitely don't want to be walking up on him in a draw at night! And, can't drive the truck out there either, it's too steep and deep.

Dammit...I'm really worried about that boy Jack!

This is really not a good night!

I really hope you get him back. I would be sick.

We don't have cattle, but we do have livestock... and, I worry about all of them. Constantly.

My favorite duck is a female mallard named "Doc" (NCIS reference... we're weird like that). "Doc" came up gimpy about two weeks ago, with an abcess on her flappy little foot. She convalesced in our "hospital crate" for three days. I checked on her a dozen times a day. I hand fed her sardines.

I hand fed a duck sardines.

The great news... Doc has healed, and is her same rotten self again.

I got my fingers crossed for ya, my friend

ETA: I forgot I had this uploaded. It's Doc's baby picture... in an old tub.

edit on 14-5-2020 by madmac5150 because: Quackheads...

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I got nothin'!

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:38 AM
link   
We put in wire gates on common fences here, just in case we have to move animals from one pasture to another. Wire gates are semi-permanent 'temporary' gates. This particular gate was actually very well built and strong. Stronger than the rest of the fence actually, took me a fence stretcher just to close it once. (anyone who's ever seen one of these things will know what I'm talking about...they're like a fence x2).

We had an issue last year where the bulls started going at it and they didn't even dent this gate. They did, however, break the fence about 60' away. All that was left was the bottom wire and it was slacked on the ground. Jack didn't cross it though (which amazed me). So tonight, when he's seemingly jumped the wire gate fence, is really a surprise. Must have been some hot heifers or a really agitated bull on the other side for him to do this. No wires broken, but the top 3 wires are pushed down, so someone went over it, and there's nobody new in our pastures. So it must have been Jack.

We've notified the county Brand Inspectors (well, 3 of them anyway). And, come daylight, we'll be back out looking for him, but at this point...I don't know.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   

We put in wire gates on common fences here, just in case we have to move animals from one pasture to another. Wire gates are semi-permanent 'temporary' gates. This particular gate was actually very well built and strong. Stronger than the rest of the fence actually, took me a fence stretcher just to close it once. (anyone who's ever seen one of these things will know what I'm talking about...they're like a fence x2).

We had an issue last year where the bulls started going at it and they didn't even dent this gate. They did, however, break the fence about 60' away. All that was left was the bottom wire and it was slacked on the ground. Jack didn't cross it though (which amazed me). So tonight, when he's seemingly jumped the wire gate fence, is really a surprise. Must have been some hot heifers or a really agitated bull on the other side for him to do this. No wires broken, but the top 3 wires are pushed down, so someone went over it, and there's nobody new in our pastures. So it must have been Jack.

We've notified the county Brand Inspectors (well, 3 of them anyway). And, come daylight, we'll be back out looking for him, but at this point...I don't know.

Again... fingers crossed. I hope you get him home.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Ducks are funny little critters; I love ducks! They're like geese; they all have personalities. Geese can get ornery, but after you figure them out they relax (some). We got the geese a baby pool and the dumb asses wouldn't go in it, but we had an oat bucket which got filled with water and you couldn't get those damn geese out of that bucket! They'd fight each other for a spot in the oat bucket, when there was a whole pool of water sitting right next to it. That water would get so disgusting we'd have to dump it...and those damn geese still wouldn't go in that pool. They'd stand there and honk and squawk until you rinsed out the bucket and refilled it.

Great guard dogs though. We called them "Huey, Dewy and Louie" (after the Silent Running movie). Nobody could get out of their truck if those three were on the case! They used to terrorize the Labrador, but then we got the ACD and that was the end of that! (What a hoot to watch those 4 go at it!!) That ACD would frustrate those geese so bad they'd go run back in their house. He'd run around them so fast he'd make their heads spin to where they couldn't walk straight, then he'd jump on top of them while they were all stumbling around together. Wash, rinse and repeat. The Lab would just sit there and wag her tail the whole time! Just desserts.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Ducks are funny little critters; I love ducks! They're like geese; they all have personalities. Geese can get ornery, but after you figure them out they relax (some). We got the geese a baby pool and the dumb asses wouldn't go in it, but we had an oat bucket which got filled with water and you couldn't get those damn geese out of that bucket! They'd fight each other for a spot in the oat bucket, when there was a whole pool of water sitting right next to it. That water would get so disgusting we'd have to dump it...and those damn geese still wouldn't go in that pool. They'd stand there and honk and squawk until you rinsed out the bucket and refilled it.

Great guard dogs though. We called them "Huey, Dewy and Louie" (after the Silent Running movie). Nobody could get out of their truck if those three were on the case! They used to terrorize the Labrador, but then we got the ACD and that was the end of that! (What a hoot to watch those 4 go at it!!) That ACD would frustrate those geese so bad they'd go run back in their house. He'd run around them so fast he'd make their heads spin to where they couldn't walk straight, then he'd jump on top of them while they were all stumbling around together. Wash, rinse and repeat. The Lab would just sit there and wag her tail the whole time! Just desserts.

Our ducks are awesome. I call them my "quackheads". We have three new ducklings this year, and they are trouble... so much trouble, that we named them "Yakko, Wakko and Dot".

"Doc" is a tiny little mallard, but she is the undisputed alpha.

Yes, we have one white Peking duck... his name is "AFLAC".

We got talked into taking in one goose. He was an unabashed a$$hat. The very first day we had him, he bit the bejesus out of my thigh... way too close to my "fellas".

He destroyed the guy that delivered hay for our horses. He was bitten, scratched and bruised.

He attacked the poor FED-EX guy. Bit the snot out of him.

We tried to pen him up with the goats. The goats were terrified.

In the end... geese are quite tasty.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
You ever try putting the oat bucket inside the pool?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I feel you. Ive had animals go roaming and Im a little baby when I cant find them immediately. Yrs ago I had a mule named Cigg... cause the ONLY way you could get him to act like he was doing what you wanted was to give him cigarettes! Little known fact is that when they block mountain roads like in MOntana and just stand there giving you the stink eye.. you can get them to hop right off the road if youre a smoker and share. True!! Anyway Cigg went off roaming because my cousin was out messing in the barn and left the side gate open. Well I walked everywhere.. I rode the laziest horse on the planet everywhere to find him too. Finally I had to get home and there he was.. just standing there looking at me like he came back to bum one off the cigarette dispenser girl.

We had a few goats get stuck up their chests in mud.. and when we found them it sounded like someone was murdering them.. Back then we had 3 wheelers and not 4.. but we got them out and then I got stuck. My grandfather had to pull me out. Feels like youre on some torture rack and then SUUUUCK youre out. Lost my boots and socks though.. some alien archaeologist will find them one day...

Flying.. some of my most terrible dreams have been me trying to find my dogs and they keep getting loose. Its like Im running all night long and a nervous wreck when I get up. Youre probably like me.. you bond way to close to animals and maybe only one or 2 humans at that level. LOL! I even bonded with ones I eventually ate! I just made a bunch of enemies...

SO I know what youre feeling in your chest and gut for sure. Give him till tomorrow morning... he knows where his bread is buttered. Then go grab a deputy.. tell him your boy is mean and loose.. and looking for love. They might help you run him down.

I have a suggestion if he has a habit of this.. or just peace of mind. You can get GPS things that clip onto collars for S and R dogs. Id buy one for that roaming romeo.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

Our ducks are awesome. I call them my "quackheads". We have three new ducklings this year, and they are trouble... so much trouble, that we named them "Yakko, Wakko and Dot".

We got talked into taking in one goose. He was an unabashed a$$hat. The very first day we had him, he bit the bejesus out of my thigh... way too close to my "fellas".

He destroyed the guy that delivered hay for our horses. He was bitten, scratched and bruised.

Geese are terrifying. I think they are direct descendants of the velociraptor.. or assholeraptor.. whichever one is meaner.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

originally posted by: madmac5150

Geese are terrifying. I think they are direct descendants of the velociraptor.. or assholeraptor.. whichever one is meaner.

We have had a-hole ducks. We have had a-hole roosters, that attack anything with legs. We have an a-hole billie goat, that likes to escape and terrorize the neighborhood.

We have a total a-hole Polish Arabian... he likes to break out and visit the neighbors.

No other animal has ever instilled fear in the heart of the weak, like that stupid goose.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yawn.

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Update - He's still missing. Heard back from the Brand Inspector so she's on the lookout for him. Just got back from looking for him again this morning. Nothing. Too foggy out to see much at the moment, so while we let it clear I thought I'd post an update. Not much of an update though.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

We tag him, but he just busts off the tags scratching on stuff.

I just don't want him to get injured somewhere, or worse injure someone else. He's pretty calm around us, but he's still a bull and a big one. Someone tries to manhandle him and he might go bananas.

Back to looking.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:15 PM
link   
While were shooting the bull and swapping stories to pass the time ... One of the summers that I was living in a nomad camp in central Outer Mongolia (early 2000s) I got home late one night from town. About half a kilometer before camp there was a car parked on the side of the trail, a non-descript silver Hyundai. This was unusual, but it was late, could've been broken down, didn't think much of it.

Next morning we awake to find the remains of my neighbor's ox (it was actually a kheineg, yak-cow cross, strong and steady beasts) on the hillside just above where that car had been parked. Now, this ox had been in my friend's service for years. He used it for pulling a cart, hauling goods and travel. He loved that ox as much as a Mongol can live a head of livestock. The bastards had slaughtered and butchered the animal right there.

I felt terrible. If I'd had the presence of mind to stop and look around, I'd have caught them. Of course, there's no telling what kind of incident that might have precipitated. It wouldn't have been pretty, but still ... Damn!

I hate rustlers. (Not suggesting that's what's happened here. Just remembered some highlights of my days in that life ... and missing them.)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join