It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Time Travel...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well after the recent rebirth of John Titor posts aroud here I have found myself with an abundance of questions about the nature of Time Travel. In order for Time Travel to exist all matter would have to exist in an infinite number of "places" at an infinte number of "times" so that we could "go back" to it . I guess what I am saying is that if I were to go back in time, either ALL matter that exists would have to first have "memory" of where it was at a given time, then it would have to "move" back there, or it would have to like i said before always exist. The point i suppose im putting up for discussion is which of these two if either, would be more reasonable to believe? That there is an infinite number of Aeros, from the time of my birth to the time of my death whom I can go and visit with the infinite number of gold chains that those guys will sport? or that everything is manipulated and reverted to a past or future position.

Like I said im really rather uneducated to the whole concept, and would love some information, maybe on string theory, maybe some quantam physics, and regardless some good discussion. Thanks in advance.

--aero

edit:: sorry i didnt realize that i had posted it in the prophecies section. I dont reallypost alot of new threads, if someone could move it, im sure everyone would be greatful. Again, sorry.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by Aero]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
One good thing to check out would be this article on Torsion Fields. Another good article on the subject is This one. Both talk about the reaction that spinning objects have on time. The second one states:

this new theory views elementary particles as a region of space-time so intensely warped that it bends back upon itself like a knot. Such a knot necessarily contains a "closed time-like curve". This time-loop, which is also one of the puzzling features of general relativity, enables a particle to interact with other particles not only in its past but in its future. Consequently, a new way of looking at entanglement is that sub-atomic particles, by virtue of the time machines they contain, are not constrained by time. There is nothing to prevent instantaneous interactions between particles, no matter the distance between them.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
What did you just say? Ok, this is what i think you need to understand (if I'm wrong and you already get this, plz tell me polietly) There are an infinite universes independent of each other. in each one a different choice and outcome have come about (ie: there is a universe where i have discovered cold fusion and another where i am a serial killer that just killed 28 ppl today...)and all outcomes are certain. the only thing they have in common is the ability particles/"time travelers" have to travel between them (in theory). I hope i cleared some stuff up otherwise i look like an a**.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Actually, the way I see it is that everytime you have a choice, like say, am I going to eat Hamburgurs or Fish, there is a universe where you chose Hamburgur and one where you chose Fish. So, everytime someone in the world has a choice at least one alternate universe appears. If you went back in time the number of universes would double from that point forward (one with the future you and one without) for each time you moved through time. All this assumes traveling back in time is possible.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
WELL!
Maybe time is simply the universe occilating back and forth within a set limit, and that we keep going back and forwards in time all the time, but since its all random, every time we go back and forward its different!
We wouldnt notice if we wer going back or forward in time, because our concept of time is based on CHANGE! and everytime it occilates back to the past or future, its different! The points of this model is that it means there is no such thing as time travel!!! If you developed it further there might be more interesting things :> ( i made it up)

[edit on 16-3-2005 by quiksilver]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   
if you're looking for a good book on time travel, read Time Travel In Einstein's Universe by j. Richard Gott. It covers a lot of methods of time travel and other subjects.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SwitchbladeNGC
Actually, the way I see it is that everytime you have a choice, like say, am I going to eat Hamburgurs or Fish, there is a universe where you chose Hamburgur and one where you chose Fish. So, everytime someone in the world has a choice at least one alternate universe appears. If you went back in time the number of universes would double from that point forward (one with the future you and one without) for each time you moved through time. All this assumes traveling back in time is possible.

I'm almost certain that this is true (if it is possible). As John Titor said, there are an infinite amount of universes where. All posibilities and outcomes are certain.... (not an actual quote). I suggest you buy the book of all of his posts.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Even though this is theoretical to begin with, I have a question about what appears to be a contradiction. Hopefully someone can explain what I am missing to me.

1. There are an infinite number of universes to account for each possible choice that each human could have ever made.

2. If I were to time travel, on each trip I would cause another universe to be created.

Here is where my confusion lies. Apparently this is the universe that I made the decision to post this in just now. This is also the universe that I will choose what to eat for breakfast tomorrow. Therefore this is the universe that I will choose to time travel from. Consequently, doesn’t that mean that there is already a universe that has been affected by my choice to join it in my past?

I guess the question is this: If there are an infinite number of universes with every choice that every human could have ever made, where does the newly created universe from my time traveling come in?

I feel I have done an inadequate job of relaying my thoughts here, but maybe you will get the gist of my question.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Hi all
First post...

If there are an infinite number of universes with every choice that every human could have ever made, where does the newly created universe from my time traveling come in?

It already exists...even now. That's what the term infinite means in this context. If it's possible, there is a parallel universe where it happened.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
"1. There are an infinite number of universes to account for each possible choice that each human could have ever made. "

Well... the many-worlds theory (it's more of an unverified hypothesis, really) holds that any time *any* particle makes the transition from a wave-like to a specified particle-like state, that the various possible positions of the particle co-exist in seperate universes. hence, from any one universe it appears as though a radom position of the particle was "decided" by the collapse of the wave function... when, if we could only see the other universes, we would notice that all possibilities are distributed throughout various universes.

It's more about the apparrent "decisions" being made during this transition from wave -> particle, and not necessarilly just the decisions made by humans or observers of the process.

At least, this is a slightly more traditional understanding of the Many Worlds Theory...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
This is all assuming that time travel is possible and exists (at some time!) Is it possible that there is one universe, and we live in it from moment to moment?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Hi
I think I'm with Darth on this one.
Or, is it possible that there are an infinite number of different universes, and we just happen to live in one where time travel is not possible?

The Farseer

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I just see it as we're living in every time right now and doing everything, just our conscious only "feels" one.

Like you're every age right now, but in a different worldline or universe. You're also doing everything possible at one time. Like from what I'm saying right now, is that I'm doing pamela anderson and all her friends in the playboy mansion right now
, but my conscious only takes in me typing this.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
If time travel existed the world as we know it would not exist, the reason being that the time travelers would change things to stop bad things happening. As bad things still happen I'm afraid the time travel thing is rubbish.There can be no such thing as time travel or the world would be a different place.

top topics

join