It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melatonin may help protect against COVID-19

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER: I’m not a medical professional, just passing some information along.

I had heard from some people that Melatonin may help protect against COVID-19. So I did some research and found a good article in Psychology Today on this.

www.psychologytoday.com...

What they discuss in the article is the fact that Melatonin could combat the immune system overreacting and producing an inflammatory response. It has shown to combat one in particular. I found this information interesting. It makes sense.

I take Melatonin every night. I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now. I really hope the information regarding Melatonin protecting against COVID-19 pans out.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Or, at the very least... you could just sleep through the whole thing...

TBH, my wife and I both use melatonin, for sleep. Neither of us have been sick.

We have also only had 4 confirmed cases, in our entire county... so, there's that...

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Yes, and a few other things. This was just released a couple of days ago for all healthcare workers from the Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA.

URGENT! Please circulate as widely as possible. It is crucial that every pulmonologist, every critical care doctor and nurse, every hospital administrator, every public health official receive this information immediately.

www.evms.edu...

Prophylaxis
While there is very limited data (and none specific for COVID-19), the following “cocktail” may have a role in the prevention/mitigation of COVID-19 disease. While there is no high-level evidence that this cocktail is effective; it is cheap, safe and widely available.
• Vitamin C 500 mg BID and Quercetin 250-500 mg BID
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day (acetate, gluconate or picolinate). Zinc lozenges are preferred. After 1
month, reduce the dose to 30-50 mg/day.
• Melatonin (slow release): Begin with 0.3mg and increase as tolerated to 2 mg at night
• Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day

Symptomatic patients (at home):
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day
• Melatonin 6-12 mg at night (the optimal dose is unknown)
• Vitamin D3 2000-4000 u/day
• Optional: ASA 81 -325 mg/day
• Optional: Hydroxychloroquine 400mg BID day 1 followed by 200mg BID for 4 days
• Optional: Ivermectin 150-200 ug/kg (single dose)
• In symptomatic patients, monitoring with home pulse oximetry is recommended. Ambulatory
desaturation < 94% should prompt hospital admission

edit on 12-5-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

So essentially the same things that cancer patients use to boost their immune system.

To the OP, my wife has used Melatonin for years because she needs her immune system to be like a ninja.

So it just makes sense.

Now, if someone would just come out and say that a sensible diet and good physical health will help keep you from dying from this virus...

Or dying from a lot of other things...

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: ChiefD

Yes, and a few other things. This was just released a couple of days ago for all healthcare workers from the Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA.

URGENT! Please circulate as widely as possible. It is crucial that every pulmonologist, every critical care doctor and nurse, every hospital administrator, every public health official receive this information immediately.

www.evms.edu...

Prophylaxis
While there is very limited data (and none specific for COVID-19), the following “cocktail” may have a role in the prevention/mitigation of COVID-19 disease. While there is no high-level evidence that this cocktail is effective; it is cheap, safe and widely available.
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day (acetate, gluconate or picolinate). Zinc lozenges are preferred. After 1
month, reduce the dose to 30-50 mg/day.
• Melatonin (slow release): Begin with 0.3mg and increase as tolerated to 2 mg at night
• Vitamin D3 1000-4000 u/day

Symptomatic patients (at home):
• Zinc 75-100 mg/day
• Melatonin 6-12 mg at night (the optimal dose is unknown)
• Vitamin D3 2000-4000 u/day
• Optional: ASA 81 -325 mg/day
• Optional: Hydroxychloroquine 400mg BID day 1 followed by 200mg BID for 4 days
• Optional: Ivermectin 150-200 ug/kg (single dose)
• In symptomatic patients, monitoring with home pulse oximetry is recommended. Ambulatory
desaturation < 94% should prompt hospital admission

This sounds like complete, and total overkill.

Ivermectin? Really?

Do they have heartworm?

Wash your damned hands, take your vitamins, and go back to living your lives.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Funny you mention that. Almost everything being used for Covid is a cancer therapy or being studied for such usage.

Potential of the Flavonoid Quercetin to Prevent and Treat Cancer
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Curcumin and quercetin synergistically inhibit cancer cell proliferation in multiple cancer cells and modulate Wnt/β-catenin signaling and apoptotic pathways in A375 cells

www.sciencedirect.com...

Zinc can halt the growth of cancer cells
www.sciencedaily.com...

Repurposing Drugs in Oncology (ReDO)—chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as anti-cancer agents
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of cancer
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Ivermectin reverses the drug resistance in cancer cells through EGFR/ERK/Akt/NF-κB pathway

jeccr.biomedcentral.com...

edit on 12-5-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Ivermectin? Really?

Do they have heartworm?

It's an anti-parasitic.

The majority of us have so many gut parasites that we can no longer effectively digest nutrients.

Well, that and our intestines have a lining of white processed flour which is a nutrient uptake inhibitor as well.

Which further weakens the immune system, thereby promoting a plethora of health concerns.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Cancer, at the end of the day, is a symptom of a compromised immune system.

Not that American modern medicine will ever treat it as such, although the science behind that was proven in the 1940's.

So it just makes sense to get your immune system going right again if you need it to fight a virus.

There just isn't a lot of money to be made there doing it that way.

After all, you can't patent a carrot.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:50 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Funny you mention that. Almost everything being used for Covid is a cancer therapy or being studied for such usage.

Potential of the Flavonoid Quercetin to Prevent and Treat Cancer
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Curcumin and quercetin synergistically inhibit cancer cell proliferation in multiple cancer cells and modulate Wnt/β-catenin signaling and apoptotic pathways in A375 cells

www.sciencedirect.com...

Zinc can halt the growth of cancer cells
www.sciencedaily.com...

Repurposing Drugs in Oncology (ReDO)—chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as anti-cancer agents
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of cancer
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

French doctors are considering nicotine therapy. Nicotine seems to kill the Corona virus.

The Chinese, especially government officials... are reputed to "smoke like chimneys"...

Maybe this virus was designed to kill non-smokers...

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Got a couple of threads on that.

Lower Rates Of Infection Found Among Smokers
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Covid 19 Percentages Of Patients With Smoking History Are Very Low

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Got a couple of threads on that.

Lower Rates Of Infection Found Among Smokers

Covid 19 Percentages Of Patients With Smoking History Are Very Low

New York City... illegal to smoke pretty much anywhere. It explains a lot.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

Ivermectin? Really?

Do they have heartworm?

It's an anti-parasitic.

The majority of us have so many gut parasites that we can no longer effectively digest nutrients.

Well, that and our intestines have a lining of white processed flour which is a nutrient uptake inhibitor as well.

Which further weakens the immune system, thereby promoting a plethora of health concerns.

I agree on that. I think taking pre and probiotics helps combat that too. With all the evidence regarding overuse of antibiotics, I think most of the health problems people have start with the gut. And we Americans have terrible diets too, too much sitting around on our asses. That is why rates of cancer have gone up.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

originally posted by: Lumenari

Ivermectin? Really?

Do they have heartworm?

It's an anti-parasitic.

I agree on that. I think taking pre and probiotics helps combat that too. With all the evidence regarding overuse of antibiotics, I think most of the health problems people have start with the gut. And we Americans have terrible diets too, too much sitting around on our asses. That is why rates of cancer have gone up.

Here's an idea... quit eating crap.

Ditch processed foods. Start locally sourcing your diet.

Finally, and I cannot stress this enough... smoke cigarettes.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I just quit smoking cigarettes 6 months ago. After getting over that hurdle, there's no way in hell I'm picking them back up.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   

The true prophylactic value of a drug or substance comes from its ability to keep the virus outside of healthy cells though. Substances that only reduce replication rate of the virus inside the cell (zinc) or only regulate the immune system from going haywire (Vitamin C, Melatonin?) are treatments for after you're infected. Of course, it's useful to 'be ready for the fight', but I don't think there's a specific term like "prophylaxis" for that.

In terms of prophylaxis, HCQ is still the most well proven and established drug in terms of effectiveness and specific prophylactic functions. Note that the EVMS does not put HCQ in their prophylaxis protocol, not even as optional (like in the other section), remarkable isn't it? Even while they put substances in there that have no prophylactic function but are much better described as 'getting or being ready for the fight' (or something like that).

The only substances I see in their prophylaxis protocol that I've heard may have some prophylactic function are quercetin (not for its attributes as a zinc ionophore though but because of it binding with ACE2 receptors therefore taking up a slot where the virus can't bind, this does mean that the effect won't last very long, only as long as you have sufficient quercetin bound to those ACE2 receptors, compare that with HCQ that actually changes the shape of the ACE2 receptor as well as the cell membrane with a long lasting effect so that the virus can't bind with the changed ACE2 receptors and cell membrane anymore, or significantly less, and the quantities of HCQ needed to accomplish that change throughout all the cells in your body for a week, is much less than getting the majority of your ACE2 receptors filled up with quercetin 24/7; and of course HCQ has already been proven to be effective for its prophylactic function whereas quercetin hasn't) and Vitamin D3. Perhaps Melatonin has some prophylactic function (preventing healthy cells from getting infected) but that is not explained or pointed out in the OP here; there we see immune regulatory functions pointed out, as I've seen a couple of times now and every time they still talk about it in a prophylaxis setting (I feel they really should explain its actual prophylactic function a lot better then*).

*: perhaps especially when they keep ignoring hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) regarding the subject of prophylaxis or preventive treatment (or downgrading it to the fineprint labeled "optional"). I also understand of course that in Virginia they are likely prohibited by state laws to prescribe HCQ prophylactically, so one could say, that's why it's not in that protocol from the EVMS under "prophylaxis"; but one might want to point out that that's HCQ's primary function in that section, even if bureaucrats and the Big Pharma they are serving are blocking it. Nor is it a good argument for not having HCQ at the top of your list in the next section under a scenario where doctors are allowed to prescribe it. I know, HCQ is a bit more of a drastic measure than quercetin, but it also has more drastic effects in keeping healthy cells healthy, as well as reducing viral replication. Patients should be made more aware of that, and the differences between corona and the flu...

This ain't no flu (1:00 and again at 7:35):

If you're feeling like that, more drastic measures like HCQ may be warranted and desired by the patient if they understood the situation a little better. Telling them that they're young and their immune systems will be fine, sending them home from the ER with dangerously low oxygen saturation levels and/or giving the impression that HCQ won't almost immediately cure their fever and begin improving their breathing, may not be the most beneficial way to go about it (or writing your protocols for physicians who get that impression from what little positive information regarding HCQ comes their way and reading the protocols).
edit on 13-5-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

The true prophylactic value of a drug or substance comes from its ability to keep the virus outside of the cell though. Substances that only reduce replication rate of the virus inside the cell (zinc) or only regulate the immune system from going haywire (Vitamin C, Melatonin?) are treatments for after you're infected. Of course, it's useful to 'be ready for the fight', but I don't think there's a specific term like "prophylaxis" for that.

In terms of prophylaxis, HCQ is still the most well proven and established drug in terms of effectiveness and specific prophylactic functions. Note that the EVMS does not put HCQ in their prophylaxis protocol, remarkable isn't it? Even while they put substances in there that have no prophylactic function but are much better described as 'getting or being ready for the fight' (or something like that).

The only substances I see in their prophylaxis protocol that I've heard may have some prophylactic function are quercetin (not for its attributes as a zinc ionophore though but because of it binding with ACE2 receptors therefore taking up a slot where the virus can't bind, this does mean that the effect won't last very long, only as long as you have sufficient quercetin bound to those ACE2 receptors, compare that with HCQ that actually changes the shape of the ACE2 receptor as well as the cell membrane with a long lasting effect so that the virus can't bind with the changed ACE2 receptors and cell membrane anymore, or significantly less, and the quantities of HCQ needed to accomplish that change throughout all the cells in your body for a week, is much less than getting the majority of your ACE2 receptors filled up with quercetin 24/7; and of course HCQ has already been proven to be effective for its prophylactic function whereas quercetin hasn't) and Vitamin D3. Perhaps Melatonin has some prophylactic function (preventing healthy cells from getting infected) but that is not explained or pointed out in the OP here; there we see immune regulatory functions pointed out, as I've seen a couple of times now and every time they still talk about it in a prophylaxis setting (I feel they really should explain its actual prophylactic function a lot better then).

You can also vape nicotine.

Yup.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 01:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlysyn

I just quit smoking cigarettes 6 months ago. After getting over that hurdle, there's no way in hell I'm picking them back up.

I hope you don't die. I hope you also win the lottery.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Well, I did quit the cigarettes, but still getting my nicotine. If it weren't for vaping, I'd either still be smoking or possibly in jail. Or maybe smoking in jail. I hope you also win the lottery as well.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

This sounds like complete, and total overkill.

Ivermectin? Really?

Do they have heartworm?

Wash your damned hands, take your vitamins, and go back to living your lives.

I did a stutter-step over the ivermectin too. Everything else sounds good to me, but ivermectin? Would seriously like to hear the rationale behind that one. Even if I were symptomatic and could obtain that OTC--not sure that's even possible--I don't think I'd take a dewormer for a viral infection. So if someone knows and reads this, I hope they speak up.

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It's not recommended by the FDA. But with a quick look online I found a single dose for horses for $4.49.

Quote from the page.

Deworm horses of all ages safely and effectively with Farnam's Horse Health Equine Ivermectin Dewormer. A single dose is effective for horses weighing up to 1,250 pounds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join