It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you STRONGLY believe there is a God

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Specimen88
The book of Leviticus was a book about a tribe an their laws named the Levites, and teaches man how to handle woman during blood moons.

Yikes! Here is a more intriguing one: "The Coming Race" a science fiction first (Lord Lytton) in the 1800's chronicles our future with accuracy and beauty. Edgar Allen Poe and Charles Dickens applauded this publication.
edit on 18-5-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: vethumanbeing

I don’t know your God vet, I am not assuming we have the same God
Egyptian religion and Judaism were significantly different faiths to suggest they were the same is childish
Leviticus was not a person, this is pointless, you havnt a clue what you are talking about but pretend you do.
This is just dumb

You are attempting to 'define' God. God is limitless therefor UNDEFINABLE. What arrogance is that! (you a human being) thinking you can understand the nature of your creator (of course you can as its proxy).

Actually I can describe God, my God, easily, He explained it clearly and concisely Himself
God is love

See, done
Tell me what I think, how does that work, who are you exactly?

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 04:19 AM
link   

I don't have a belief system as was never indoctrinated (cornered/bullied) into thinking one was any better than another.

A study by pollster George Gallup, Jr., shows that most people in the United States view religion as "a tossed salad.” Rather than follow “traditional belief systems, [North] Americans ‘pick and choose’ what they want to believe, often mixing ideas from within one religion or blending two or more religions into a personal belief system,” reports Canada’s National Post newspaper. So yes, you can have a "belief system” without being a member of any organized religion. The study also reveals that “there is a glaring lack of knowledge about the Bible, basic doctrines and the traditions of one’s own religion” and that “often the faith professed is superficial, with people not knowing what they believe or why,” says the newspaper.

Sounds familiar. Some people don't even realize or have difficulty accepting or acknowledging that they even have beliefs in the first place, or a (personal) belief system. Even while they are expressing them. Or demonstrating that they believe their ‘pick and choose’-routine is the more openminded enlightened (and perhaps even modern, 'more evolved, developed or spiritually advanced') approach. A notion/philosophy/idea that actually is heavily promoted and indoctrinated by this system of things, the god of this system of things and all his pawns, human or spirit. That's how you spread confusion along with presenting a wilderness and maze of paths and what I sometimes refer to as the quickmire of human philosophies. People lose track of how to tell what's right/true from what's wrong/false and are carried here and there by every wind of teaching (philosophy), wherever the wind blows (whatever is popular, or what makes them popular amongst those they want to be popular with) or following whatever tickles their ears best (whatever makes them feel good, feel good about themselves, whatever sounds good, nice, insightful, spiritual or clever to them, flattery is often involved).

Ephesians 4:14

14 So we should no longer be children, tossed about as by waves and carried here and there by every wind of teaching by means of the trickery of men, by means of cunning in deceptive schemes.

Hebrews 5:13,14

13 For everyone who continues to feed on milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is a young child. 14 But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment* [Or “their perceptive powers.”] trained to distinguish both right and wrong.

Discernment is “acuteness of judgment.” It is “the power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another.” A person with discernment perceives subtleties of ideas or things and has good judgment.

Using discernment, we will be able to recognize those who are merely using “smooth talk and complimentary(/flattering) speech” in order to “seduce the hearts of guileless ones.” (Romans 16:18) Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant information or misleading facts and distinguish the substance of a matter.

Flattery employs smooth talk in order to beguile its victim. The expressions “flattery,” “smooth tongue (lip, or words)” (Ps 5:9; 12:2, 3; Da 11:32), “smoothness” (Pr 7:21; Da 11:34, ftn), and “double-faced” (Eze 12:24, ftn) are translations of the Hebrew root word cha·laqʹ or related words. In every Bible instance cited, the motive of the smooth talker is bad. It is usually done to gratify the self-love or vanity of the one flattered and is therefore damaging to him. Insincerity, lying, adulating or glorifying men, and playing on the vanity of others are all displeasing to God.​—2Co 1:12; Ga 1:10; Eph 4:25; Col 3:9; Re 21:8.

While the use of flattery may appear to be the gainful course, the Bible points out that “he that is reproving a man will afterward find more favor than he will that is flattering with his tongue.” (Pr 28:23) When a person employs flattery to gain advantage over another person, it is the opposite of love. A hater may resort to flattery but will eventually have his deceptiveness roll back on him like a stone.​—Pr 26:24-28.

Propagandists ... sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say.

Source: Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda! (Awake!—2000)
“smart ones”, i.e. not indoctrinated, not gullible, not indoctrinated into limiting themselves to one religious text (with which they are usually thinking of the Bible, God's Word of Truth) but openminded to broadening their horizon (at least that's how they end up feeling about themselves, applying the above in the context of this thread and this response concerning the 'pick and choose'-routine I started this comment with).

“You, therefore, beloved ones, having this advance knowledge, be on your guard so that you may not be led astray with them . . .” (2Pe 3:17)

2 Timothy 4:3,4

For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* [Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”] 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.
edit on 18-5-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Claymation213
I have a couple questions for you.

1. Do you think your God approves of religious texts on He/She/It?

And explain why to your answer.

2. Why do you think your God didn't write any religious texts, that could tell man how to keep Him/Her/It satisfied, and could tell man what their after life would be like?

I strongly disbelieve although I think there's a God. I'm saying this just for not stating that I believe.

It's better to start from the bottom up.
edit on 18-5-2020 by Out6of9Balance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by vethumanbeing
You realize everything they 'know' they stole from the Egyptians?

Yeah I realize that!…

…But some appear to lack comparative history research capabilities lol

There are many other Cuneiform laws that pre-date the Ten Commandments…

There’s the “Code of Urukagina” (2380 B.C.), the “Code of Ur-Nammu” (2050 B.C) the “Hammurabi Codes” (1795 -1750 B.C.) and the commandments written in the “Egyptian Book of the Dead” (1520 B.C.).

All these laws were written long before the The Ten Commandments showed up in 1440 BC…

Urukagina wrote the Law code by instruction from Anu, the God of Mesopotamia…and Ur-Nammu was instructed to write a Law code by their Sumerian God. Huge parallels with Moses getting his laws from his God etc…

And there’s the “42 Ideals of Ma’at”…again, written some 2000 years before the Ten Commandments…

I’m pretty sure the Egyptians were aware of all these ancient Law codes and systems…Moses…raised as Egyptian Royalty….would surely have learned all this growing up…

- JC

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I don’t know your God vet, I am not assuming we have the same God
Egyptian religion and Judaism were significantly different faiths to suggest they were the same is childish
Leviticus was not a person, this is pointless, you havnt a clue what you are talking about but pretend you do.
This is just dumb

You are attempting to 'define' God. God is limitless therefor UNDEFINABLE. What arrogance is that! (you a human being) thinking you can understand the nature of your creator (of course you can as its proxy).

How do you define an object that can't be measured? This god creature by definition has no actual definition, to suggest definition conflicts with the dependency on being limitless. You can't be both infinite and quantifiable, it's a paradox. Therefore no actual statement can be said to apply to this being because it is consistently both true and false right down to the question of whether it is at all.
edit on 18-5-2020 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

What people where , show me some evidence anyone thought Leviticus was a person, anyone, ever

*raises hand*

Me. I thought Leviticus was a person.

Source something explaining who and what Mr Leviticus was and dis

I got nothin'. How about you tell me, please?

Honestly do not know. Churched as a child: choir member, youth group participant (and Mom was the acolyte director for years) baptized; confirmed; then later married after pre-marriage counseling from Father Matthews. I was immersed. I still didn't know he wasn't a person, this nasty "Leviticus" dude.

ETA: Is he supposed to be Satan? Cause all of his rules and tortuous consequences are just unconscionably barbaric.

edit on 18-5-2020 by VeeTNA because: add question

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: VeeTNA

Veet, it’s clear you don’t know what you are talking about, not even the basics
It’s very common around here
It’s not worth my time

Nobody was forced to be a Jew, people chose to live under those laws.
Stop pretending you know

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Veet, it’s clear you don’t know what you are talking about, not even the basics
It’s very common around here
It’s not worth my time

Nobody was forced to be a Jew, people chose to live under those laws.
Stop pretending you know

Whoa, dude! I'm not a Jew, and I'm not pretending to know anything! I would like you to please explain Leviticus. Not worth your time?

I'm asking a sincere question. I was brought up in the Anglican/Episcopal (mainstream Protestant) tradition. I DON'T know about Leviticus.

!!

edit on 18-5-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

You could have been brought up by wolves in the jungle, doesn’t make you a wolf.

Why do you need me to tell you, why not study it for yourself.
World War 2 took place over 20 or 30 years from WW1.
Leviticus is one book in a library of books, what can you learn from one battle

This is simple, clear and concise, I like it and I think it is fairly accurate in my opinion
But, it’s a small part of a big story

The laws were made to protect and care for people, not harm people.
Today they seem archaic and brutal, but back then, people were archaic and brutal
edit on 18-5-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
People are still archaic and brutal.
So...no useful guidance from you. Got it.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Actually veet, I think that video is better than anything I can offer and and makes it more interesting.
As for if the laws would work now, what do you think
Remember, small group of people, not a global law or set of rules

And you have no real interest in this at all, that’s obvious, just arguing for its own sake
edit on 19-5-2020 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
They are not said to be clay. they are said to be stone and clay is not stone it is clay.

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Leviticus is a book of laws for the israelites, more specifically the priesthood... the levites

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Raggedyman: I don’t know your God vet, I am not assuming we have the same God
This is just dumb

veteranhumanbeing: You are attempting to 'define' God. God is limitless therefor UNDEFINABLE. What arrogance is that! (you a human being) thinking you can understand the nature of your creator (of course you can as its proxy).

Raggedyman: Actually I can describe God, my God, easily, He explained it clearly and concisely Himself
God is love See, done Tell me what I think, how does that work, who are you exactly?

Um hum; YOU are Gods proxy (you have a legitimate voice). Who am I? I am just as you; A GOD PROXY attempting to explain WHY and BECAUSE.

edit on 19-5-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic
Thank you for that very thoughtful reply. I am calculating my 'risk' factors (in response).
edit on 19-5-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
People are still archaic and brutal.
So...no useful guidance from you. Got it.

PEOPLE?! are archaic and brutal? People are God experiencing Itself. When is God FINALLY going to be bored with this NEVER ENDING human drama soap opera?

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Leviticus is a book of laws for the israelites, more specifically the priesthood... the levites

Thank you!

posted on May, 20 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   

People are God experiencing Itself. When is God FINALLY going to be bored with this NEVER ENDING human drama soap opera?

I hear that and I believe it.
I agree. Nevertheless, People are brutal and archaic. I wonder when (or if) our species will grow beyond this status.

posted on May, 21 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

As for if the laws would work now, what do you think

I think tribal (local) law is superior to "global" law.

Remember, small group of people, not a global law or set of rules

Exactly

And you have no real interest in this at all, that’s obvious, just arguing for its own sake

Incorrect. I am fascinated by religion and spirituality. That's why I bother posting here. So - now I know that "Leviticus" is aimed at the Levites, and not written by a guy named Leviticus. Akragon educated me about it.

Thanks for playing, though.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join