It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Virus May Cause Mental Illness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Damn, now Im all paranoid about the next time I sneeze!!!

Japanese researchers have found that a single virus causes behavioral changes in mice that are similar to those of people with mental illness. Viruses have long been suspected of playing a role in psychiatric disorders, but until now, there's been no proof. A protein produced by the common human virus called the Borna disease virus (BDV) is one suspect. Keizo Tomonaga inserted the gene for the virus into mouse embryos, and these mice developed cognitive disorders, and grew up to be more aggressive and hyperactive.
The cells that are affected by BDV are the ones that are involved in forming and maintaining nerve connections in the brain. Major psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia are also characterized by dysfunction in these cells.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Robert Lee Hotz And John Johnson write in the Los Angeles Times that it may be possible for evil to be passed down genetically to family members. They examine families in which several generations have committed the same types of terrible crimes.
Scientists now know that genes influence our behavior. But can our behavior change our genes and can we then pass on our defective genes to our children? New research is revealing that life experiences can alter the biochemistry of many genes. "The new way of looking at this is that different experiences turn different genes on and off," says psychologist Seth Pollak. "Experience matters."

Take the Ward Weaver family�father and son. Police found the corpses of two young teenaged girls in the son�s backyard. He's awaiting trial for their murders. They then discovered that the elder Ward Weaver is on death row in San Quentin for the 1981 murder of a young woman and her fianc�, and he also buried them in the backyard.

www.unknowncountry.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2003 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Stupid virii...causing us all to be crazy. We don't like this. We don't like this at all. What if we get this virus. We'll be in trouble.

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   
well lets see'

spirochetes, introduced into America in 1917 by the Beria NKVD, precursor to the KGB. in a shipment of Russian Mink for cultivation of fur coats. the spirochetes were spread from the minks to the ticks that had a symbiotic relationship, thus spreading to surrounding regions. one of the first recognizeable attacks of biological warfare. the idea was that the spirochetes would result in wide spread manic depression resulting in urban warfare and uprisal in American Cities resulting in annexatation by the NKVD of 1917. it failed but has had a profound impact on society.
we hane now progressed to ELF

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Where can I (if it is acessible) learn more about this incident tututkamen?

posted on Jul, 12 2003 @ 10:17 PM
link   
this finding doesn't surprise me too much. I've long thought that there's some other factor that pushes people across the line from just having the potential for mental illness, and being full-blown mentally ill. I'm fairly sure it runs in families (just due to personal experience), and it takes some kind of traumatic experience, either emotional (like childhood abuse or a death) or biological (a virus) to get the ball rolling, so to speak.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 03:36 AM
link   
the name of the virus is "psychiatry". very dangerous to humans.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
**AAAAA CHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ***

Scuse me...So anyways I was flying over Newyork in my underwear................

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I don't know if certain diseases would be catagorized as viral, but didn't/doesn't syphilis and many other diseases cause this as well? There are certain diseases/ viruses that can cause the brain to deteriorate, or the brain cells to die, and this would cause atleast some type of mental illness, wouldn't it? There are even probably bacterial infections that could cause this. Or even bug bites. I would think that anything that can mess with the brain, could cause some form of mental illness, even if in the slightest form.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by magestica
I don't know if certain diseases would be catagorized as viral, but didn't/doesn't syphilis and many other diseases cause this as well? There are certain diseases/ viruses that can cause the brain to deteriorate, or the brain cells to die, and this would cause atleast some type of mental illness, wouldn't it?

absolutely. for example Crutzfeld-Jakob syndrome and what else is it...bruni(?) the one that comes from eating infected brains?

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am less interested in the diseases that eat away at the brain. I'd like to know if viruses can cause the kind of chemical imbalances in the brain that cause things like bipolar (manic depression), ADHD (Attention Defecit Hyperactive Disorder), etc.

posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo
I am less interested in the diseases that eat away at the brain. I'd like to know if viruses can cause the kind of chemical imbalances in the brain that cause things like bipolar (manic depression), ADHD (Attention Defecit Hyperactive Disorder), etc.

well, diseases that eat away at the brain set a precedent that viruses can, in fact, create symptoms that mimic mental illness. (I thought of another: Hunington's Disease, which is transmitted through families.) it's not a huge leap from there to the idea that viruses may cause diseases with not outward symptoms except mental disorder. of course, nobody knows that for sure right now. the article DR cited is just the beginning of research into this subject.

top topics

join