It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interesting thought as to the REAL benefit of keeping bars closed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on May, 12 2020 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It popped into my head while responding in another post.

While it probably isn't actually the case, I think given the circumstances, reopening bars might not be so much about people in close proximity as much as it is about interaction.

The local bar, the old watering hole, for the bulk of america, it's like the town hall were people(though neighbors, still "strangers") gather and exchange ideas and forge alliances.

Given the fact that all this has, mostly, for the bulk of the country(especially rural areas) been nothing more than a botched con. The LAST thing you would want is to let a bunch of locals gather together and banter about how big of a screw up this was on a local and especially state level(usually for most states at the hands of a dem governor).

It would literally be opening the flood gates, not in any way for the "disease" to spread, but to basically nuke any state that was in any was close to being a swing.

The last thing you'd want is a bunch of people getting together, having some drinks and solidifying their disdain for their state officials and the anti-freedom garbage they tried to shove down our throats.

I'd wager that the first revolution was largely planned in pubs......

+3 more 
posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Even in this globally connected world, where we can all go online and find people across the nation that share our values or thoughts. It's ultimately much less meaningful than the alliances we can form locally.

It's great getting to talk to people around the nation, but the real danger is in your local face to face community.

Meeting the people in your town, discussing ideas and most of all, pooling resources and creating an actual real solidarity with them against such overreach is a whole different ballgame. I'm sure the spooks are well aware of that. It's what makes the local pub probably so much more dangerous than even the worst forum on the net.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

Geez, Zap, what a thought. A very interesting one.
edit on 12-5-2020 by drussell41 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Ba reply to: ZapBrannigan3030

BINGO!!!! You are definitely on to something. And I'm liking it.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 05:33 AM
link   

A very good point.

Society in general has deliberately been divided into groups who are all convinced they are victims of wider society and are becoming more defensive / hostile towards the "others".

As more groups or divisions are created, their artificial nature becomes harder to conceal.
Social media has facilitated this and is far more controllable than actual personal discussion.

Open dialogue is more productive than little online posts which can be interpreted and understood in ways the poster may not have intended.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Don't know about the US but I firmly beleive there has been a long and persistent governemnt/TPTB programme aimed at shutting our traditional, local boozers here in the UK.

Successive government policies from across the political divide have done everything possible to undermine their profitablility and to demonise them as a scourge on public health and well being and disorder.

Of course they also just happen to be where people meet and talk and discuss every topic under the sun....including the incompetence and unsuitability of our politicians.
I'm absolutely certain they wish to destroy the whole pub culture and that their targeting of pubs and clubs during this pandemic is merely an extension of that.

There is no reason why beer gardens couldn't have been open over the last three or four weeks providing exisiting social distancing guidelines are followed and possibly using plastic glasses and bottles?
And as far as I can tell I don't see why when lockdown is lifted why they should be particuarly designated as one of the last to open.

Just my take on things....I could be way wide of the mark.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Don't know about the US but I firmly beleive there has been a long and persistent governemnt/TPTB programme aimed at shutting our traditional, local boozers here in the UK.

Absolutely agree.

Years ago, the local authorities were so desperate to close two of the biggest biker/music pubs in the south of England, one had a road designated to go straight through it (The Three Fishes) and one had a new office building put right on top of it (The Southampton). The road could have been planned in many places and the office building was empty for years.

You can't get rid of bikers though, and we always found/took over other watering holes.
edit on 12/5/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

They did the same thing to Shelleys in Stoke when it became a big draw for ravers in the 90s.

New road layout, building gone. I've got a few pictures of the outside but you couldn't take a camera inside.

Everyone just went round the corner to Kinetic but it was never the same. This whole area has tons of empty, boarded up pubs. The bigger chains don't seem to suffer too badly from the closure of the independent places, though.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

It would literally be opening the flood gates, not in any way for the "disease" to spread, but to basically nuke any state that was in any was close to being a swing.

Meh. Politics.

Bars and clubs are going to reopen from the 9th to the 22th in Germany, in case they apply social distancing rules and a safe workspace for the employees.

I'd wager that the first revolution was largely planned in pubs

We might still get one if they stay closed indefinitely, people are going nuts already. And often rightly so.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The local bar, the old watering hole, for the bulk of america, it's like the town hall were people(though neighbors, still "strangers") gather and exchange ideas and forge alliances.

I witnessed that yesterday when I finally got a hair cut at my local barber.

Couple of guys, The barber and the next one in line.

Haven't been too pleased with what's been going on for the last two months.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

The early days of the Revolution were proceeded by clandestine meetings in taverns.

But a related question, why is it okay for an old style butcher shop stay open but walking into a McDonald’s to the counter to order takeout was not? Or a donut shop had to be closed (or curbside only) but the corner convenience store with roller dogs and lottery tickets was wide open?

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Bars and restaurants opened yesterday here. And of coarse I went. I can tell you the words being tossed around: panicdemic, plandemic, hoax.

The bar stools were 6 feet apart. But no one was social distancing.

I can also tell you this is a prime time for hooking up. Everyone’s been cooped up so long, no ones playing hard to get. Haha

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Although in a lot of places, alcohol and weed are still considered legal and essential while churches aren't.

Although I can see the argument for shutting down both churches and bars for the reasons you say. They are community meeting points.

The move has been on to destroy organizing points for community because community lets people remain strong and self-reliant instead of becoming dependent on government.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Aren't all bars in most states opened back up? I know they are here, because I own one and decided not to reopen.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Aren't all bars in most states opened back up? I know they are here, because I own one and decided not to reopen.

Bars wont be allowed to open in my state until July.
Pretty sure there wont be many left by then.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Same with churches.

Still the social center of gravity for many people who live in small towns, and trend conservative.

several States governors have gotten over-ruled by the courts, for picking on religion in particular. I know of one congregation that was meeting in their parking lot, and following all the rules, and the cops still threatened the pastor, told him not to do it again, under penalty of law.

Winning the Future, America.

WTF.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   
A romantic notion, but not much more than that.

Back in the day a tavern may have been a good cover for backroom deals taking place. Even back then, the bulk of the clients where just there to get their drank on and get a little strange.

Today you have people gathering and sharing ideas on the internet. If that isn't enough to create action then I doubt a roomful of party-goers is going to be.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

That's true but online groups tend to be like minded folk who discuss what they are aware of. The ideas we talk about here on ATS aren't generally accepted in the wider community and it's unlikely that people will become aware if they are never exposed to the information.

Chatting to strangers until you feel like they might be interested in finding out more about some of these topics is a great way to dispel the myth that we are all loony tin foil hatters.

If they only ever get mainstream media for information they are always going to be ignorant.

Might be an apocryphal story but I've often heard that that Nazis started off as eight guys in a beer hall. Kinda snowballed didn't it.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
True,

nothing gets mouths moving and chins wagging like some liquid tongue loosener, and some grievances to air.

Pretty soon everyone knows everyone, at least by name, and we are a united front.

Can't count how many times I've met random people in bars who are generally interesting and have smart things to say.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa
The Nazi story actually proves my point. 8 guys in a beer hall, that were like minded folk, while everyone else was just there to party, got the ball rolling.

It could just as easily be done online. But, they'd have to get out from behind their keyboards to do it.

Topics on ATS are a bit of a strawman. The OP isn't talking about tinfoil hat topics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join