It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the moon - " impossible shot "

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
i really REALLY dislike the caption - but hey :

an astrophotographer has compiled a composite shot of the noon - to highlight the comtrast of the terminator line - over a lunar cycle

source

and direct link to his own page :

i think its pretty cool - YMMV

and idiots babling about fakes - can fook off

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Damm looks sweet! thanks for the share!

I wonder how the apollo crews felt when they where orbiting the moon looking at it.

edit on 11-5-2020 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Similar headline a few days ago for Jupiter

Scientists obtain 'lucky' image of Jupiter

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Crazy how much the moon has been peppered with meteorites and such. I wonder how it would look if it had an ozone layer the burned the rocks up before hitting.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Dunno about an ozone layer, but an atmosphere would have probably left an analogue of Mars, Venus, or Mercury. Or any ole rocky planet with an atmosphere.

Crossing your signals maybe, but dunno why you believe a layer of ozone would make an iota of difference. Dem rocks may heat for the split second they penetrate the layer of ozone, but the moon would be just as pockmarked.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Interesting, thanks for posting.

I was involved for a couple of years in mapping the landing areas for the 'Apollo Lunar Landing Mission' in a NASA contract with our agency.

I have been in the air brush section and seen the shadowing done on the craters to give our landing area maps a 3-D look as compared to the mapping without the shading.

The shading or shadowing effect in the OP's image is very heavy and blocks out a lot of detail, which I assume is what he intended for the maximum effect. Interesting technique.
edit on 11-5-2020 by lunarcartographer because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-5-2020 by lunarcartographer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Crazy how much the moon has been peppered with meteorites and such. I wonder how it would look if it had an ozone layer the burned the rocks up before hitting.

I wonder how the Earth would have looked without the Moon running interference.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Like Idaho

a reply to: LSU2018

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I knew that the Moon has been hit by a lot of comets, meteorites. But looking at it in these amazing pictures all I can see is craters every where I look. The poor kid.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

i read the earth was pretty chaotic before someone smashed the moon EXACTLY in place

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
a reply to: Gothmog

i read the earth was pretty chaotic before someone smashed the moon EXACTLY in place

The Earth was chaotic during the Late Heavy Bombardment period -- even WITH the Moon in place.

The Moon is small and relatively far away from Earth. It does not provide much of a shield -- maybe just a little bit of a shield.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I believe I had read in the past that its Big Red (Jupiter) who runs most of the interference for us.

Large meteorites tickle Jupiter.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I believe I had read in the past that its Big Red (Jupiter) who runs most of the interference for us.
Not really. Jupiter actually may send more asteroids our way than not.

For asteroids and short period comets, Jupiter’s gravitational agitation shoves more our direction, but for the ones that would potentially hurt is the most, the long period comets, Jupiter does provide some relief.

www.universetoday.com...

But space is big, and the Solar System has settled down a lot since its rowdy days.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Woah

I had no idea that's how it really is....no idea

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Awesome shot of the moon. Really nice to see that they didn’t remove the color or grayscale it.
And yeah seeing how tiny the moon is in the vast vacuum of space, it really did have some bad luck with asteroids, the poor thing. Not an inch of it’s surface was spared!

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Gumshoe

Nor has Earth been spared from larger impacts.

Three big differences.

1) Atmosphere. It helps to keep objects from hitting the surface. (though none of the impacts seen in Earth sourced images of the Moon are from what might be considered small impacts) and results in weather which helps to obliterate the evidence of such impacts.

2) Oceans. Really good at hiding evidence of impacts.

3) Plate tectonics. Ditto.

The surface of the Moon is 4 billion years old, or so. The surface of the Earth, not so much.

edit on 5/13/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Thats all crazy talk cause youre stupid.

Everyone knows the moon is cheese and the alien base at the center of it makes those dents to fool sillies like you into believing its a natural satellite.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Also Erosion?

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Most definitely erosion would, and does, play a roll.

It's truly kind of frightening to think about, when you see what's an obvious impact crater from millions of years ago, that is still so very, very obvious.

What must the initial aftermath been like?? Shudder worthy.

posted on May, 14 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Yeah.
Like I said. Weather.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join