It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 20 dead in Iranian military exercise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
At least 20 sailors on the Iranian tender Konarak were killed during a military exercise. That number could go as high as 40. During the exercise, the frigate Jamaran accidentally fired a C-802 Noor missile, which struck and sank the Konarak. The Noor is a copy of a Chinese antiship missile. The Konarak is a new addition to the Iranian fleet. The Captain was among the dead. The IRGC has already said it was human error.

More details as they emerge.

An Iranian destroyer mistakenly shot and sank a second Iranian vessel during a naval exercise Sunday in the Persian Gulf, killing at least 20 people, according to unofficial reports.

Initial reports claim a C-802 Noor missile was fired from the Jamaran and accidentally struck the Konarak, a general-purpose vessel.

Reports said there were 30 to 40 crew members on board the Konarak, which had recently been added to the Iranian Navy's fleet.

www.trtworld.com...

The anti-ship Noor [Light] missile is an Iranian-made solid-fuel cruise missile, one of the well-known Iranian missiles manufactured by the Iranian Navy in 2005, an upgraded version of the Chinese C-802. The range of the Iranian version is 120 km, and in other models more than 220 km. The missile was launched from ground platforms, barges and fighter jets. The Iranians were also able to supply helicopters with this advanced missile.

The development of the anti-ship C-8 missile family (consisting of C-801 and C-802 and C-803) dates to the early 1970s by China. Unlike the previous Chinese anti-shippping missiles, the missile family of C-8 was affected by the design of Western missiles. And their appearance bywith the American Harpoon and the French Exocet missile, confirms this. The C-802 is the most popular member of this family and also known as YJ-82, which flew first time in 1989. Prominent features such as having a small-reflection flying radar at a height of 5 to 7 meters above sea level, and also equipped with a strong anti-jam ability, led to the reputation of this missile. The C-802 missile has the ability to be laucnhed from aircraft, surface ships, submarine and also ground vehicles, and is one of the world's best-known anti-shipping missiles.

The C-802 missile utilizes the same motor and rocket guidance system and the outer appearance of C-801. With the difference that its range has increased and the turbojet engine with paraffin fuel replaced the previous solid fuel engine. Therefore, it is more limited than its previous example to carry out fuel. Despite the weight loss, the C-802 increased the range from 40 kilometers to 120 km. The body of the rocket is slim and pulled into the egg. There are four delta-shaped bulk in the front, four small control bulk and four-way stabilizers on the tail.

www.globalsecurity.org...

The FARS News Agency is claiming one dead, several injured.
edit on 5/10/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The Konarak was reportedly placing targets in the target area, when the Jamaran fired. Reports are that all 40 on board were killed.

btnews.online...

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
So I'm trying to figure out which part of the military the Konarak belonged to.

The Jamaran is Artesh. I don't recall the Konarak, therefore I don't know if it is Artesh or Sepah.

If the Konarak is IRGC, it could be signs of subterfuge and sabotage. In otherwords in-fighting.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

The Hendijan class tenders appear to be regular Navy. They were built under a joint program with the Netherlands in the late 1980s. Three were built in the Netherlands, with the rest built under the MIG-S-4700 program in Iran.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah okay. Thanks. Guess this will be a hard lesson fornthem to learn from.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Dam the bad luck...

God love em ....our brothers in the 70's...it's whoever makes the least mistakes....
edit on 10-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The Konarak was reportedly placing targets in the target area, when the Jamaran fired. Reports are that all 40 on board were killed.

btnews.online...

Do the Iranians lack in comunication? This is a very expensive F.U.B.A.R. for Iran.

You've mentioned long ago that there are 2 entities in the Iranian military. The Iranian guards, and those pushing for a change in Iran. What happened?

Heads will roll I'm sure.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Accidents on this scale are very very rare, but accidents in exercises happen. During a RIMPAC years ago, a Japanese destroyer shot down an A-6 that was towing a target. They accidentally tracked the aircraft and not the target. Both crew ejected, but one suffered some pretty ugly facial injuries in the ejection.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Oh my..
That's unfortunate. Guess it could happen to anybody.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Ooooops

But 70 Virgins that stay perpetually virgins, hmmmmmm bummer.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Pahahahaha

And it was a Chinese missile

Bummer

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   

So the guys that patrol in gun mounted dinghies performed a live-fire exercise with real naval vessels and sunk one of their own?

Pardon me while I lol.

R.I.P. to those who died.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:37 AM
link   

When tensions are at high level accidents like this are most likely to happen...This and any other incoming miscalculations are the indirect result of years of sanctions and the provocative presence of the US military in the region.I think Trump must be at least equally held responsible for the lose of any life in the future of this conflict..He is hoping that ''corona virus'' keeps the world busy enough to not intervene in any of his evil intentions to conquer the ME and most of Africa.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Iran shouldn't have a Navy. It's only used for offensive missions.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: shapur

Wtf...I...I am actually having a hard time replying due to actual laughter.

Just have a gold medal...for those mental gymnastics you deserve it...

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Communication seems to be a problem what with the oopsie of Flight 752 back in January. Or could someone be messing with their equipment?

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 04:23 AM
link   
How often would Iran fire off one of these missiles? they seem pretty unique..

imagine if.. an enemy state managed to manipulate the guidance on all your wizz ban antiship missiles.. so that when you fired them they simply turned around and sunk all your own ships...

you'd never know until your fleet fired hundreds at a time..

...or until you accidentally fired one too close to a ship and saw it in action

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Well my friend, time will prove to all of us who is going to have the last laughter.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: shapur

When tensions are at high level accidents like this are most likely to happen...This and any other incoming miscalculations are the indirect result of years of sanctions and the provocative presence of the US military in the region.I think Trump must be at least equally held responsible for the lose of any life in the future of this conflict..He is hoping that ''corona virus'' keeps the world busy enough to not intervene in any of his evil intentions to conquer the ME and most of Africa.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: shapur

Bullsh*t It was a training accident. Pure and simple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join