It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris has me confused

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The economy isn’t based on money and there isn’t an endless pot of it you can just keep throwing at people.

What use is money when you have no goods and services.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk
I think the steps the government have taken make sense. Sadly a lot of people didn't listen before about social distancing and won't listen this time either.
I lost my job just before the outbreak, I need to work, so this virus has to be dealt with. I and many others can't cary on. We have bills to pay.
I just hope people get the message and do what's needed to push things forward.

I understand that governments and people were scared at the start because we were told this is a novel virus and nobody knew what was going on. But surely now, after we figured out that this ain't anything different from a very bad bout of flu, we should stop with all this social distancing crap. As if 2 meters make a difference in a supermarket. I can see the virus measuring the distance and not attack if it was 2meters and 24 cm. I mean WTactualF?

Please don't tell others who didn't want to go along with a lockdown any insults. My reasoning is that there were worse flus out there in recent years and nobody was locked in. What we did during a bad flu outbreak is take more care and be more cautious. As in wash hands more often, stay indoors if you are vulnerable or go out when less people are about etc.
That's all we ever needed to do during a flu outbreak.
This time was the same, we know that now. Hence lets just stop this affront of human rights and stop idiotic non working rules that make things worse.

More people than ever are drawn to the only open shops, whereas if everything would be open, there would be less people at any time queueing up for example.

We need everything open asap and we certainly don't need to wait for a vaccine. We have immune systems. If yours [like mine] is a bit dodgy, then take more precautions. Like every effing year.

I am far more worried about the escalating suicides, domestic murders, domestic violence, sexual abuse [victim locked in for month without escape], late cancer diagnoses, heart attacks not attended quick enough, than this particular virus with a low death rate and a low symptomatic rate. 250 000 - 650 000 deaths is what happens every year. Why is this one so hyped up that the human right of freedom is trampled upon.

Suffering form mental health problems during this time without any available help is absolute torture and so many more people will die of lockdown effects. It has to end. Everyone is welcome to self incarcerate if they are scared, but leave others to it.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Look it's perfectly simple.

You can go back to work, but don't use public transport, and not till Wednesday. In months with even letters.

You can go out for as long as you like, drive anywhere you like... erm, except the Lake District.

You can only go out with members of your own household, unless you stand on one leg, recite the Lord's Prayer, while giving a secret masonic handshake.

Or not.

What's the matter with everyone?

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

They’re all morons who need explicit instructions and authoritarian rule to perform basic functions.

That’s my take anyway.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

*Pinches bridge of nose and sighs*
No. No, it's not just another type of flu. It's a highly infectious novel coronavirus that can cause severe pneumonia-like symptoms amongst a small number of people, whilst spreading via others who show no symptoms whatsoever even though they have it. People with underlying conditions and the elderly seem to be particularly vulnerable.
It's insanely contagious and spreads through touch and aerosol droplets, such as the type you spray out when you cough or sneeze. It's killing a lot more than the flu and it's leading to local medical authorities getting overwhelmed through a sudden rush of cases that lead to intensive care facilities being full of people. It's putting stress on public health organisations.
Look, this is not a political thing, or at least it shouldn't be. It's out there, it doesn't give a toss about which way any of its victims vote and it's spreading rapidly. We need to flatten the curve of infections to stop it spreading. Yes, it's inflicting hideous economic damage. What's better - that or people dying? There are no easy options here and anyone who says that there is are liars.
I am very lucky in that I have a desk job, so I can work from home. My wife has had pneumonia three times earlier in life and has asthma now. She's on the vulnerable list in other words. My parents are in their 80's. They're vulnerable. So yes, I will stay at home as much as possible and wear latex gloves and a facemask at the store and socially distance when I walk the dog, because I love my wife and parents very much. If you want to ignore all of the restrictions then fair enough, it's a free world. But I and others will listen - and walk around people like you.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Mysterychic88

Why should the rich call on the poor to stop being so selfish, go back to work, and possibly sacrifice themselves, so "they" can remain in power, and carry on making profits and monies whilst paying little to no tax?

Back to work indeed, but with proper PPE, social distancing, nevermind when the time is right, which quite possibly is not just yet imho.
edit on 11-5-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: Mysterychic88
The restrictions should NOT be lifted until there is a viable vaccine and it has already began to be distributed AND then it should only be a phased wave across the country starting in those areas were the vaccine has been administered to at least over 40 percent of the potential victim's.
There will never, ever be a vaccine for this you communist government shill. A cure, perhaps, some probably do exist but global governments, except POTUS Trump, refuse to entertain them. People have had enough of lockdown and are flouting the unconstitutional rules. If you're scared, you stay home, forever if need be. Insisting everyone else halt their lives for the sake of your personal fear is the ultimate in selfishness. This is not the first contagious disease that humanity has faced and it won't be the last.

Keeping sick people in their homes is QUARANTINE.
Keeping healthy people in their homes is TYRANNY!

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Because otherwise we will all starve to death.

Because the majority of healthy working age people will be asymptomatic due to functioning immune systems.

Because the NHS is currently under capacity and despite the narrative suggesting otherwise hospitals are actually empty.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Macdon

Well said.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Because, because, because?

With the obesity in this nation, i don't imagine many would starve to death, not whilst our beloved government is flying in Romanians, unchecked i may add, at both ends, by the planeload to pick the produce from our fields.

If its a choice between losing some weight or contracting COVID 19 i think i would rather wait another few weeks.

As to the NHS, shes on her arse and barely treading water with or without the likes of Covid 19 to contend with, if in dought just ask anyone who works in the field or care industries, who still do not have, nor are ever lightly to receive, appropriate PPE.

edit on 11-5-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Well done for showing a complete lack of understanding on economics, biology, metabolism, immigration and politics all in one post.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Mysterychic88:

I watched Boris Johnsons address to the country on the news earlier and I have been left scratching my head as to what exactly he meant.

Fact is, he doesn't know what he said, and what was meant by what he said. There was no central gist in anything he said. The wording is left open to interpretation so he can claim he never meant what he said. This idiot in government as our prime minister is a flubber, and throughout all of this stupefying debacle the one thing you can take as fact is that he will not allow himself to be blamed for anything.

Question, basically to you all. Why are you allowing other people dictate what you can and cannot do? Common sense is your friend, and if you are British, you are supposed to have it in the bucket load. Take steps to minimise possible transmission of the alleged virus, it can only be transmitted by touch, it is not and never was airborne. By touch, I mean by physical transmission from surfaces and from touching each other. Sneezes and coughs need to be caught by covering your nose and mouth, preferably with a tissue or hanky that cn be correctly disposed off.

I have been working throughout all of this apart from two weeks when I had a heavy cold. Yes, I thought I had the alleged virus, but it turned out not to be the case. I too got caught up in all the paranoia pushed by the government and the MSM who continue the scaremongering.

If you come into the country via France, you are exempt from quarantine. What kind of nonsense is that? These idiots have brought severe damage and impact to your society, and have shown themselves unworthy of our trust or confidence. Their statements and actions have been wholly antithetical to what you would expect in this sort of crisis. Behind everything they have done and said has been political motive. They are not fit for purpose to run this country, and I fear, no one in any party is.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Why should the rich call on the poor to stop being so selfish, go back to work, and...

Oh Lordie. Perhaps rethink this. If people don't work then they will stay poor. Many people are getting poorer by the day because they are not allowed to go to work, or others are resisting their return to anything resembling normality.

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I can believe it. I mean aren't we the only country in
Europe still allowing flights in? a reply to: lakenheath24

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Mild cheddar! Or gouda. Used to be all about the mature cheddar until k had my toddler no i seem to have gone off the stuff a reply to: visitedbythem

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Agreed. I could see he was trying to give a speech a bit of a patriotic punch to drive home the message. Nor sure if that distracted me from what he was saying but yes it did come across vaguea reply to: ScepticScot

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This is where I think his speech may cause an issue. The fact that it didn't really outline much is either going to go one of two ways. Either a flood of people are going to get out and back to work because like you say we need money, maybe more than he intended as there seems to be little clarity. Or at the other end of the spectrum people will think nope he doesn't mean me therefore I will say at home just to be on the safe side.

On the plus side I met my sister in town for a chat on my way to do shopping and no angry policeman ordering us back home in sight... So.. a reply to: rhynouk

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well forgive me and half the country for being dense. I am not the only one asking questions about his speech a reply to: paraphi

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thank you. I did see the part about potentially being able to meet one person from another household keeping the social distancing measures in place. Will be looking forward to that as I need to commune with another adult and not a toddler a reply to: Itisnowagain

posted on May, 11 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Not suggesting people should not go back to work, but only when its safe to do so, and with the proper equipment to allow a safe working environment else we simply risk unleashing another wave of the virus upon an already stressed to the limit NHS and care system.

There is no normal to return to I'm afraid, the system is broken, just a bit more now than it was before Covid 19 came around.

Needs must though, canny sit around on our keister indefinitely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join