It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Tasted America Today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Today I went to explore again, looking for new spots and interesting places to make more videos for my youtube channel.

I always wanted to go to this area in particular but health conditions, winter and virus crisis made that trip impossible until these last 2 weeks.

Many farms around, little roadside farmer markets near the fields and mountains. I love to stop in those places and buy directly from the hands that grew and made the food. Nothing better.

So, I found this little store right next to the road, it had a colorful beautiful front, with signs and ornaments. So inviting, I couldn't resist.

The door was closed but it had the typical sign saying "Open". So I went inside. A local radio mixing news and music, shelves and fridges with many products. Milk, eggs, cheese, fruit jam, honey. All delicious natural stuff. Everything had the price wrote with a marker.

There was also a table with a notebook, a pen, a calculator and a metal box for cash. Nobody there. I look around outside, found nobody.

Then I read a note on the notebook, from the last person who was there. I understood what I had to do but I still found it hard to believe. It took me like 10 minutes more to proceed with my purchase.

I grabbed the products I wanted. Wrote the list of my items with their prices and the total amount. It was $19.50. I opened the box, put a $20 bill, grabbed my 50 cents change and closed again.

I think some farmers are avoiding contact with other people because the virus. I told my mother in law about it, we will go back and buy more next week. I must give all the support I can to a farmer who trust in people that much. Maybe they have a hidden camera but I don't think so.

The experience and the products I bought had the same taste, the taste of the America we almost forgot.
edit on 9-5-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The taste of American I remember would have dropped the twenty into the box and not taken back that fifty cents.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

There is a craft-pottery store in my village that operates on the honors system. Some pieces are't even marked with a price, you just pay what you think it's worth. Locals will bring in their handmade stuff and just leave it.

Usually their is a weaver sitting at her loom in the back.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
The taste of American I remember would have dropped the twenty into the box and not taken back that fifty cents.

I served myself. You give a tip for a service. Do you leave a tip for the soda machine ?

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Here in farm country, Indiana, there are road side stands all over the place.
Produce sitting there with a box to drop in money all using the honor system.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Maybe they have a hidden camera but I don't think so.

Farmers don't use cameras they use scoped high powered rifles...

It's very likely your transaction was overseen by someone. You just weren't aware.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Here in farm country, Indiana, there are road side stands all over the place.
Produce sitting there with a box to drop in money all using the honor system.

I'm living in Newark NJ. Imagine the impact this experience had on me.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

So no honor system in Jersey?

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

So no honor system in Jersey?

No, unless you go to places like the one I went today I think.

But I know Bon Jovi opened a soul kitchen and I heard you pay what you can. Nice guy.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Didn't he get nailed by new Jersey for having a fake farm to pay lower taxes?

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I Tasted America Today

Be sure and get some antacids.

Lol

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I remember back in the sixties, some of the farmers who had roadside stands did that in our small town. Most people were honest, and most people knew they needed to bring change because there was no change given. You dropped the money in a slot in a metal box that was bolted to the wall. That way, if one person was dishonest, he did not take the money the honest people gave. I asked the farmer at one of those places if anyone didn't pay, he said sure, but he did not have to throw the stuff away at the end of the day anyway so it didn't matter that much. He had mostly perishable things out of the garden there and said if he had to sit in the shack, he wouldn't even have the shack. Most people were honest back then, but I doubt if you could do that these days around here. A few bad apples ruin it for everyone.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Didn't he get nailed by new Jersey for having a fake farm to pay lower taxes?

I knew it had to be something behind all that good !!!

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Ummm...so...you tripped and fell...kinda...”bit the dirt”...

Good for the ole immune system....

And...ya gotta eat a peck before ya die anyhow...

YouSir

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...so...you tripped and fell...kinda...”bit the dirt”...

Good for the ole immune system....

And...ya gotta eat a peck before ya die anyhow...

YouSir

You know..., I like and understand your idiomatic expressions. Just didn't get the relation with my posts. Sometimes, I'm slow.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Don't forget to leave a card or name and phone number, those good people often have needs or wants that you may be able to fill.

Working hands always need help, and you might have a skill or contact that could make a world of difference.

Good thread, by the way. Haven't had to much good news lately it was a nice change from doom and gloom.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
We have several veggie stands around us, that operate this way too, and on my way to Laingsburg, there is a guy that sells honey this way too.

I actually do the same with the neighbors. They get eggs out of the mini fridge in the garage, and leave their dollar in it. I figure if someone takes eggs and doesn't pay, they probably need them pretty bad, and that's ok.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Today I went to explore again, looking for new spots and interesting places to make more videos for my youtube channel.

I always wanted to go to this area in particular but health conditions, winter and virus crisis made that trip impossible until these last 2 weeks.

Many farms around, little roadside farmer markets near the fields and mountains. I love to stop in those places and buy directly from the hands that grew and made the food. Nothing better.

So, I found this little store right next to the road, it had a colorful beautiful front, with signs and ornaments. So inviting, I couldn't resist.

The door was closed but it had the typical sign saying "Open". So I went inside. A local radio mixing news and music, shelves and fridges with many products. Milk, eggs, cheese, fruit jam, honey. All delicious natural stuff. Everything had the price wrote with a marker.

There was also a table with a notebook, a pen, a calculator and a metal box for cash. Nobody there. I look around outside, found nobody.

Then I read a note on the notebook, from the last person who was there. I understood what I had to do but I still found it hard to believe. It took me like 10 minutes more to proceed with my purchase.

I grabbed the products I wanted. Wrote the list of my items with their prices and the total amount. It was $19.50. I opened the box, put a $20 bill, grabbed my 50 cents change and closed again.

I think some farmers are avoiding contact with other people because the virus. I told my mother in law about it, we will go back and buy more next week. I must give all the support I can to a farmer who trust in people that much. Maybe they have a hidden camera but I don't think so.

The experience and the products I bought had the same taste, the taste of the America we almost forgot.

Where Is this wonderful place? If it a reasonable distance, maybe we can make a road trip.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notoneofyou

Don't forget to leave a card or name and phone number, those good people often have needs or wants that you may be able to fill.

Working hands always need help, and you might have a skill or contact that could make a world of difference.

Good Idea !

I think I'll print a copy of my post and leave it there next week.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

You're my kind of person.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join