It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If 80% of Americans Wore Masks, COVID-19 Infections Would Plummet, New Study Says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Even if it doesn't stop you from contracting the disease, it may stop you from spreading it around.

Wearing a mask makes a modicum of sense and probably instills peace of mind in others.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Its because they know we wont have a vaccine and we csnt keep shutdown. Now they need to show people can limit their exposure level while getting back to work.

They incited mass hysteria and are fearful its gone beyond their control. This is about appeasing fears so more can feel comfortable coming back into the world.

As essential worker working in 3 surrounding counties I can tell you in my area the traffic wasn't reduced by much. Most only used it to get themselves out of obligations they didn't was to attend. They didn't have issue with working on craft projects or quelling their cravings and bordem.

All the teddy bear hunting, parades and whatever other pinterest idea of the day was of enough importance to risk transmission, but not going to work.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
The WHO do not advise people to wear masks in the community if they are showing no respiratory symptoms.

edit on 9-5-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease is prudent if you cannot see the logic i dont ken why.

Our own First Minister, bawbag that she is, has even suggested the use of masks whilst shopping or traveling.

Do as you see fit, it's your life after all.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think that, like many things on this topic, we need to be very wary of ascribing results to causes too quickly.

In this case.. Japan has different rates. The masks might be an easy explanation, but is it accurate? Even if it has AN effect, is it the sole source?

What happens when we remove NYC, or even the Northeast, from the US numbers? I bring this up as I really do suspect the numbers there are not directly due to The Virus, as such.

Id suggest really looking into diet, general environment, immune health. How much time do individuals spend around things that stimulate or suppress immune systems, etc.

a reply to: rickymouse

I feel like "immune system modulation" should become a buzzphrase ricky.

Keeping cytokines in check, particularly, seems to be a primary cause of issues with this virus and many other illnesses. And, due to their nature, they can present with a shocking array of different symptoms depending on the person.

Many dont seem to realize that stimulation or suppression of the immune system can be extraordinarily detrimental. Things like diet are a primary source of proper modulation, but it remains something that most seem to ignore.

On top of that, or environment has an enormous impact on proper modulation of an individuals immune system. Everything from air pollution to electromagnetic fields can greatly impact the immune systems ability to remain stable.

I hope the topic of cytokines, and cytokine storms, gets a lot more traction. And then, hopefully more discussion on proper immune system balance & modulation on the individual level.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   

The thing to remember about the masks (lower than a N/R 95) is that they only keep YOU from spreading illness, not to prevent you from getting ill. So. They only work when everyone complies.

You've seen doc and nurses wearing non-95 masks in surgery and procedures and probably your dentist. It's to prevent the patient from germs not the doctors and nurses.

Myself, I have a R95 respirator (difference between N/R 95 is oil resistance) that I wear in environments where there are more than a few people. The R95 inserts are available from most hardware chains still. Makes me sound like Darth Vader too, so there's that.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Idk, look at these numbers here:

23.03. is the date when curfew started. The curved line is the "magical" R (Reproduction) number. Nobody wore masks till before two or three weeks. Because "our" government, the Robert Koch Institute, "our" health minister Spahn, Granny Merkel etc told us since january and february that masks are useless. Because they missed to use the peoples tax money to be prepared for stuff they were warned about often enough, they simply didn´t use the tax money to spend it for the people, to buy masks for example. When suddenly some masks were available to be sold for moon prices, the same people who told us that masks are useless and possibly even harmful told us that the masks are the new cure for everything. And that curfew can only be taken back if we all wear masks now, nothing about a R number below 1.0 anymore suddenly.

Look at the R number. First Granny Merkel told us, after(!!!) declaring curfew, that the restrictions will be taken back if the R number is below 1.0. Problem is, they declared curfew when the number was below 1.0, as one can see at the official chart of the RKI above. Then they changed the targets for taking back the restrictions, just as they needed it. First thesy used the duplication number. When this number didn´t work anymore to spread panic, they suddenly switched to the R(eproduction) number which has to be below 1.0. And it is below 1.0 since before the curfew. Since before anybody wore a mask because they were not available. And the numbers declined without any curfew and anybody wearing a mask.

We have to wear masks now as a placebo and to distract the people from asking: If you are suddenly able to open up everything like before Corona/Covid-19 without "killing millions", why did you have to shut down everything and crash the economy first? For a while now many people think everything is opened up again because of people wearing masks, obeying. Meanwhile "they" (politicians, mass media) even try to tell us that asians wear masks since decades not because of pollution but because of viruses. To make people believe that the masks and heavy obeying suddenly are the number one cure. And that only the masks and total surveillance helped to "stop" corona/covid in asia...

Again, look at the numbers, these numbers heavily declined at a time when nobody wore a mask here and didn´t decline faster after curfew and people wearing masks.

Two interesting links:

Respirator masks protect health but impact performance: a review

(...)Although the protective mechanisms of respirators are largely physical and sometimes chemical, wearing respirators come with a host of physiological and psychological burdens [15]. These can interfere with task performances and reduce work efficiency. These burdens can even be severe enough to cause life-threatening conditions if not ameliorated. Quantitative assessments of these burdens have been made so that respirator design trade-offs, wearer usages, and regulations can accommodate the needs of the wearer(...)
Link

Full lockdown policies in Western Europe countries have no evident impacts on the COVID-19 epidemic.

This phenomenological study assesses the impacts of full lockdown strategies applied in Italy, France, Spain and United Kingdom, on the slowdown of the 2020 COVID-19 outbreak. Comparing the trajectory of the epidemic before and after the lockdown, we find no evidence of any discontinuity in the growth rate, doubling time, and reproduction number trends. Extrapolating pre-lockdown growth rate trends, we provide estimates of the death toll in the absence of any lockdown policies, and show that these strategies might not have saved any life in western Europe. We also show that neighboring countries applying less restrictive social distancing measures (as opposed to police-enforced home containment) experience a very similar time evolution of the epidemic.
Link

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is because Japanese culture is way more collectivist and individual Japanese citizens do not generally rebel just for the sake of rebelling. It seems shame is a very potent thing over there and people just do as they're told mostly. Which has a lot of bad points but overall, benefits their society greatly in many ways.

As far as Americans not wearing masks? Well, I am still self-isolating and not leaving the house but if I had to get out there there's no way I'd go out without something on my face. But it would be really nice if the stores were stocked up on the good masks and there were enough of them for everyone. Why is this so damn hard? I just don't get it. Our entire way of life is on the line and we can't mass produce n95 masks? WTF is that? We have 300+ million people basically sitting around doing nothing and we can't buid some friggin mask factories or something? If we are this impotent, I guess it's just a matter of time before something gets us.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
I still can’t find a mask. If I had one I probably wouldn’t wear it. Patiently waiting for the bars and gentlemen’s clubs to reopen. Can you imagine a stripper in a mask?

Why are you looking for one if you refuse to wear it? Honestly, if you do find one, just leave it for someone who will put it to good use and maybe save someone's life.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Yes, I believe they refer to them as pasties though.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Simple Respiratory Protection—Evaluation of the Filtration Performance of Cloth Masks and Common Fabric Materials Against 20–1000 nm Size Particles

COVID-19 is about 0.12 microns in diameter for reference.

Polydisperse aerosol penetrations Average penetration levels for the three different cloth masks were between 74 and 90%, while N95 filter media controls showed 0.12% at 5.5 cm s−1 face velocity (Fig. 1). The penetration levels increased significantly for the N95 control filter media but remained 86% at 5.5 cm s−1 with no significant increase at 16.5 cm s−1 (Fig. 2b). Average penetration levels for the three different model towels and scarves were in the 60–66% and 73–89% ranges, respectively, with no significant increase at 16.5 cm s−1 (Fig. 3a,b). Table 1 shows airflow resistance (in millimeter water) at 5.5 cm s−1 face velocity. In general, the resistance levels were less than or comparable to N95 filter material employed in the study (9.8 ± 0.2 cm water gauge; 1 cm water gauge = 1.33 kPa). A cotton towel model (Pinzon) and a scarf material (Today's Gentleman) showed slightly higher resistance levels than the other fabric materials. Slightly higher airflow resistance levels were obtained at 16.5 cm s−1.

Your masks are useless.

The article states the only.12% of virus size particles get through an N-95 mask vs. 20% for scarves and 37% for TShirts. Definitely better off to only get 1/4 to 1/3 of the viral load. So this does indeed show that masks have a clear effect while not perfect.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
This is because Japanese culture is way more collectivist and individual Japanese citizens do not generally rebel just for the sake of rebelling. It seems shame is a very potent thing over there and people just do as they're told mostly. Which has a lot of bad points but overall, benefits their society greatly in many ways.

As far as Americans not wearing masks? Well, I am still self-isolating and not leaving the house but if I had to get out there there's no way I'd go out without something on my face. But it would be really nice if the stores were stocked up on the good masks and there were enough of them for everyone. Why is this so damn hard? I just don't get it. Our entire way of life is on the line and we can't mass produce n95 masks? WTF is that? We have 300+ million people basically sitting around doing nothing and we can't buid some friggin mask factories or something? If we are this impotent, I guess it's just a matter of time before something gets us.

There is an N-95 manufacturer sitting on idle production lines because the Govt won't give him a contract. He is also selling them for 1/6 of the price of 3M for example. 100% Trump's and Kushner's fault that we can't respond adequately. Could be the biggest act of genocide in our history. Trump will be responsible for the Mostest Deaths Ever.
edit on 9-5-2020 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

No

It shows 11 - 40% effectiveness for cloth masks and scarves.

N95 masks are effective, if you can get them and use them properly. Which the vast majority of the population can't and won't.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Are you confusing penetration rate with the number of particles stopped? They are inversely proportional.

The absolutely lowest penetration rate was 40%, compared to 0.12% for an N95 mask. That means 60% particle load in best case (and 98% load in the worst cases tested) were not stopped. N95 would be 99.88% stopped or 0.12% penetration in comparison. It also mentions an improperly sealed mask is going to significantly underperform those numbers.

"The penetration values obtained for common fabric materials indicate that only marginal respiratory protection can be expected for submicron particles taking into consideration face seal leakage"
edit on 9-5-2020 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders

originally posted by: Nickn3
I still can’t find a mask. If I had one I probably wouldn’t wear it. Patiently waiting for the bars and gentlemen’s clubs to reopen. Can you imagine a stripper in a mask?

Why are you looking for one if you refuse to wear it? Honestly, if you do find one, just leave it for someone who will put it to good use and maybe save someone's life.

Always be prepared, it who I am. Honestly I’m over all of the experts BS. In my town of 470k, right now we have 3 people hospitalised with coved-19 and 45 total active cases, we have had 5 deaths of which 4 were over 75. I see the pandemic as a plot to attack the economy and therefore President Trump, nothing more, and I will not feed the hysteria, not even a little bit. So don’t take this thing, or me to seriously.

Besides, a naked women in nothing but a mask is kind of kinky, don’t you think. A whole new meaning to the dance of 7 vales. I got to call the Governor and get those poor girls back to work.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   

You're absolutely right.

They did that in fear of all the masks being bought and the health care people would be short on masks.

Isn't that something.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Yea they also said 2 million dead, hospitals would be crushed...

Which is my point they have been wrong pretty much every step of the way, it would have been much better if from the word go they explained this is new we are not sure how its going to go work with us and we will get through this.

Instead they went (with the help of the MSM) with fear mongering to try and scare people into following the ever changing set of rules and no we have large segments of society saying F it they obviously dont know what they are talking about.

I have literally seen the opposite ends of the same article posted within 24 hours of each other (vaccine trials started, and will be years before a vaccine is made), there is so much bad information out there because they just couldn't be honest and this time its bitten them in the arse.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Halfswede

In conclusion, both surgical and cotton masks seem to be ineffective in preventing the dissemination of SARS–CoV-2 from the coughs of patients with COVID-19 to the environment and external mask surface.

annals.org...

Shrugs...

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Vitamin D is now trending for a defense..a reply to: rickymouse

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I hear breathing in your own carbon monoxide diminishes your immune system.. Try Nitric Oxide..NO. a reply to: andy06shake

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join