It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Little Richard dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Just saw that Little Richard died at 87 years old. I remember jamming out to his music when I was a kid.

Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Love him or hate, his music helped start a new path for music!

RIP...

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
My first favorite piece of music, before I could even walk, was Keep A-Knockin' with Little Richard. My parents had it on a 45 rpm vinyl single and I played it alot.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

Grew up on 50/60's and motown classics.
Loved the energy he had. Incredibly powerful voice when he wanted. The heli scene in Predator would not be half as entertaining if it weren't for "Long Tall Sally" blaring in the background.
R.I.P. sir.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well good golly miss molly

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

It is a wonder how we got so much of rock and roll off the ground!!

The freaks, the ones on drugs, the gays, and just the one that did fit in to main stream America... yet we still got rock and roll!! Wild!

What a showman! What a performer! And truly a grandfather of rock and roll!!

Our collective is a bit shaken by this passing. But the spark that led the revolution is still going until this day!!

Rock on Little Richard!

Thank you

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
RIP LR! An inspiration for many in the music industry.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here is an interview that Richard did on Letterman's show from 1982. Interesting, learning more about the man and not just the performer.

edit on 5/9/2020 by Blueracer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMeYeah. Love em or hate em.

That pretty much went for a lot of the music in those days. LR had a sound that scared the bejebus out of older people, people raised on the music of the thirties and forties. My parents didn't like it that's for sure. They were raised on Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman.

There was a marked difference between those two and the youth of their day had their preferences in their sounds. But when early rock and roll came around they were in lock step. No rock and roll in OUR house.

It was wild and frenzied and openly offered sexual undertones where the music they had listened to stayed well within a romantic frame.

There was the religious objections as well. For many city, state and national elders it was the ''devils'' music prompting the youth of the nation to ''swivel their hips'' while dancing. 'Oh, what will become of us if this gets out of the bag''

It wasn't until about 63 that I finally broke my father down. I got a copy of the Beach Boys ''Get Around'' and insisted that he listen to the harmonies and sweet cadences of it. Him being a Barbershop Quarteter, agreed that it was ok and that I could start listening to rock and roll in his home.

Well, my second record was Papa's Got a Brand New Bag and all my youthful gains came to a screeching halt. It was several years more until we could even get him to listen to the Beatles.

And edit to note that the Beatles as well were considered to be destructive to the moral fiber and future of the world that had come before them. It's hard to imagine I guess for people now a days that the Beatles were considered a destructive force. Hard to imagine, hard to recall.

edit on 31America/ChicagoSat, 09 May 2020 11:43:42 -0500Sat, 09 May 2020 11:43:42 -050020052020-05-09T11:43:42-05:001100000043 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

A direct transfer that is the history of music (all great musicians are musical historians)...

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Little Richard was Recording Rock N Roll when it was still known as rhythm and blues, this is a great Jump Blues number from Feb 1952 "Get Rich Quick" RIP Richard Penniman.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I always loved his role in down and out in beverly hills, will be missed

top topics

join