It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blackened Mahi-Mahi and simple shrimp creole...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So, as I posted in FCD's thread, yesterday I was at Kroger and they had entire half slabs of mahi-mahi for $3.99/lb. I was blown away, because it's never so cheap. I liken it to the increased supply due to restaurants being closed for so long, but I had to buy a slab (and may go back for more).

Here's what I bought for $11:

Knowing I would never eat all of this before it spoils, I decided to cut it up and freeze most of it, but I set aside a few pieces for dinner tonight.

Seasoned in a Cajun/blackened blend of spices, and sitting for an hour or so, I heated the skillet with butter and a little olive oil until hot, and it only took about 2-3 minutes a side before they were cooked. Since I had no lemon on hand, I used the lime I had, and, drizzling them in lime juice, let them sit a few a minutes before adding some horseradish sauce.

This went very well with the shrimp creole I threw together. A quick and easy roux with butter and flour until a medium brown, then aded onion and bell pepper (there was no celery on hand). Throw in some garlic, saute, and add the tomatoes, chili powder, and spices to taste. Season and simmer. And at the end add the shrimp.

Add some fresh green (English) peas as a side dish....

And this was a fine meal.

edit on 8-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Ummm...dayam...$3.99 per lb for mahi-mahi-mahi...?

Nice...

And that looks tasty as hell bro...I love me some Cajun cuisine...

I’ve been buying a lot of seafood lately...cod...haddock...ocean perch...pollock...and huge uncooked...unpeeled...Argentinian shrimp...

Half of the shrimp are going into a seafood chowder along with the cod...absolutely delish...

The other half I’m going to scampi in a garlic butter wine sauce...then I mix them with a four cheese Alfredo sauce and all of that goes over a bed of egg noodles...

I mix the scampi sauce and shrimp with the Alfredo sauce...talk about heaven in your mouth...it’s better than manna...

All of my seafood I buy is from the Atlantic...in this case...Iceland...Maine...and Argentina...

BTW...how does one turn off the saliva switch...thanks man...

YouSir
edit on 8-5-2020 by YouSir because: Dadgummed auto correct...gets you every time...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Looks outstanding. A good chef can make Mahi taste like steak. Like can't even tell it's not steak. Try and get a good deal on some swordfish or some fat gulf shrimp. I use to eat seafood religiously but my wife does not like seafood. Every now and then though she will surprise me.

FYI eating out, seafood is the best deal on the menu. All the pasta and chicken dishes, the prices are jacked up to lower the seafood prices. I NEVER order pasta or chicken or steak if they have Mahi or Swordfish.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Swordfish is one of my favorites. Kroger usually has it.

A nice sword steak, marinated in soy sauce and salt and pepper and put on a hot grill..

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Great thread

YA know....cuisine is all that's left in life after ya done it all

Why do my dishes look Texas backyard compared to yourn is beyond me....
edit on 8-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

In December early....Market place has prime backstrap for 5 bucks.......it's in big bags......we. take it home and vacuum seal smaller bags and go get more......so ya end up with a prime roast but you can slice to make steak is best......
edit on 8-5-2020 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Looks delicious.
That mahi and some shrimp would do well in a ceviche, as well.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   

That Creole looks amazing. I've never tried it before but I've looked up recipes and it sounds delicious.
I have some shrimp in the freezer so I'm gonna make some tomorrow.

Thank you for the recipe idea.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Looks wonderful!

I've never had mahi mahi, as I thought it was too easy to dry it out.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 07:07 AM
link   

That looks awesome, and it looks like you did a bang-up job on that blackened fish too!

Did you use Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic on your fish? That stuff is the BOMB! (...on just about any kind of fish).

Your shrimp creole looks awesome too!

Hmmmm….it's only 6am and now I'm hungry for some Cajun eats!!

S&F!

edit on 5/9/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Dolphin is actually better at keeping moist than many. It's a pretty hearty fish. Tuna is the one you really have to watch to keep from getting too dry.

I'm still in shock it is available in stores! I've never seen it. Must be a regional thing.

In any case, that's awesome at least some folks can get it.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Thanks, it was quite delicious, full of flavor and juicy. I should have cooked a few other pieces because that wasn't enough.

I didn't use that seasoning, and I didn't even use the one that came with the recipe, so I mixed it up: I used both Cajun and blackened seasoning from Kroger, but I also added some McCormick Chipotle seasoning, which is actually a marinade (the one that comes in the pouch). I use that stuff dry on certain things, and it also works very well as a rub for smoked chicken drumsticks.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

You should try it. As long as you don't overcook it it stays moist. I usually grill mine, but it was cold yesterday and I wanted to try something new. I think the quick cooking/searing, butter, and then adding the lime juice after taking it out of the skillet helped it keep it moist.

It. Wuz. Gud.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Oaktree

Mahi mahi is good for ceviche, and I love some good ceviche!

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Creole is super easy to make, full of flavor, and a hell of a lot quicker than gumbo or jambalaya.

I hope your shrimp is raw! And since shrimp only takes a few minutes to cook...

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Fresh Mahi Mahi is one of my favorites (one of my catches above). I'm lucky enough to work at a sportfishing marina where generous fishermen offer up Mahi Mahi, yellowfin and bigeye tuna and swordfish all summer long (when they have extra, Lol). The season is fast approaching....Can't wait!

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That is dirt cheap for Mahi. Nice looking dish.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah, I almost fell over when I saw the actual price.

And thanks.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
FWIW...Dolphin = Dorado = Mahi-Mahi.

Dolphin is not the "flipper" kind!

ETA - A lot of people get confused and think Mahi-Mahi is Tuna, and it's not. It's actually a member of the Pompano family.
edit on 5/9/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Haha, yeah, as a kid we went to Florida once and went out to dinner one night. The step mother saw mahi-mahi on the menu. "What's mahi-mahi?" She asked the server. "Oh, that's dolphin," the server replied.

We were horrified. Dolphin?!?!

"The fish, not the mammal."

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
As Paul Prodhomme found when he basically created "blackened" fish, the trick is to get a cast iron skillet "smokin'" hot (literally) (hotter than most people have ever taken a skillet). And then place the seasoned fish in the skillet for a very short amount of time.

Pure perfection!

And, he really was a master at Cajun and Creole cooking!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join