It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just played Fallout 1 and 2 for the first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I love the Fallout universe, I was introduced to it through Fallout 3, which I loved, and then of course New Vegas. Many great times had with these games.

I finally took the plunge and decided to dive into the originals, cause I wanted more of the universe. I must say I am impressed, the games immediately sucked me in once I learned how to play.

The sheer vastness of the games is incredible. I played Fallout 1 as vanilla as possible, however with Fallout 2 I used the Restoration Project mod, and I have to say, I think Fallout 2 is the best game I have ever played.

I've been a gamer for a big chunk of my life, and have been very disappointed with the gaming market lately, and playing these 22year old games just reinforces the idea that game quality is suffering.

Fallout 2 is so big, with so many options, and possibilities... I already want to play it again with a completely different character! But there is much work to be done.

Long story short, the original Fallout games are masterpieces, and it's too bad Bethesda is butchering the series. :/

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
The first Fallout game I played was Fallout 3 as well. I did play Fallout Tactics briefly and enjoyed it. It really is a great universe. Like you said though, Bethesda is butchering these games. I remember having my mind blown when Oblivion first came out. Now you look at Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 and wonder what they were thinking.

They are going backwards and I hope they realize that. I can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls but like so many games I used to love (Battlefield, Halo) they are going downhill quick. Hard to justify supporting them.

I will have to check out the original Fallouts though, I have them all on disc but never bothered checking them out because I have too many games to play.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I remember picking up the first Fallout when it came out, I remember looking at the box, post-apocalyptic role playing game...

I figured it was going to be Diablo but in Mad Max setting.

My mind was blown, was a great game, I loved the depth of the game, the choices, grew to love the turn based combat.

FO2 was awesome as well, at least back then the graphics felt all new and perfect hah, felt more immersive.

nothing like watching your enemies explode into chunks of meat.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Dont forget Wasteland, i remeber playing the first one on my C64, the 3rd one is out soon

Wasteland (video game)

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

Wasteland 3

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnihilateThis

I still have not played the original's but there is a whole community online that are dedicated to modding them even after all these years, most original fallout fan's HATE Bethesda with a passion but as someone whom also only came to the fallout franchise with fallout 3 I have to say this, no matter how good the original was it was a niche game for the simple reason so few of the current gamer's had played it, Bethesda introduced it to a whole new generation in a way they could interpret as a first person game.

I think Bethesda did a good job of introducing the fallout universe to many formerly first person shooter only fan's as they did also the RPG concept - if not something that pleased everyone it was a gentle compromise if not according to deep lore fan's of the franchise Fallout worthy, NV was far superior but was actually rushed and never completed with only about a third of the map filled BUT you know if you really fancy a play through of the fallout first person world as it SHOULD be then I seriously recommend you download A Tale of Two Wastelands.
For the later game's you will need BOTH the full fallout 3 and NV and all there DLC to get this to work.
taleoftwowastelands.com...

Once you have found TTW compatible mod's it will make the inferior first person games almost as good if not as deep in lore as that older game was but sadly no fixing the plot holes, poor scripting and bad AI that riddles the game's.

That said since you are now a fan of the older and TRUE fallout there are plenty of mod sites on the net with ton's of new content and enhancement's.
www.thegamer.com...

There used to be several dedicated sites full of mod's I used to stumble on while searching for fallout 3 and NV mod's back in the day but I can't recall the sites names so it is worthy of a net trawl to check them out, remember though game mod's sites are often malware hives and mod's should always be virus checked, even from reputable sites such as Nexus etc though they are pretty good at screening out anything bad 99 percent of the time.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
We have a lot in common.
I’ll be giving fallout 1 and 2 another shot, thanks.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Fallout 1 and 2
Get some mods from NoMutantsAllowed
There is also mods like Restoration project for Fallout 1
Check Widescreen Gaming on how to run on modern resolutions (or at least better resolutions)

Check into Wasteland Remastered (the remake of Wasteland , which was the original Post Apocalyptic RPG .) Thank this game for all it's descendants .

Also , look into the modern game Atom RPG

edit on 5/8/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown
Dont forget Wasteland, i remeber playing the first one on my C64, the 3rd one is out soon

Wasteland (video game)

Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

Wasteland 3

Wasteland was the very first Post Apocalyptic RPG , and all Fallouts and the rest are based on this one game.

Atom RPG is a modern game that very closely resembles the original Fallouts

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I have to agree about Bethesda's efforts, I would never have found fallout if it wasn't for them. I'm a huge fan of FO 1 & 2 and I personally think they're the best in the series. NV is the best out of the new generation games. The customisation, different bullet types general Easter eggs and the infamous wasteland perk just made the game special.

For a barely finished game it was hardly linear either, it had a few convergent points but in general it had a great open world feel despite a tiny map. It had great attention to the lore too, just thinking about some of the moments are giving me goosebumps... And I still think Boone is a prick and despite hearing Veronica's jokes 1000 times they'll still get a giggle.

Such a lovable game.

Bethesda have really let the game down in terms of lore with the last 2 games. Some of the things they implemented are great but frankly I can't remember much of the lore. FO4 had some moments with BoS yet I can't recall anything that makes me think about the power plays of the Fallout universe.

That said I can't hate on Bethesda too much, they have to make profits and appeal to as large a crowd as possible. Despite all the hate I think they did a reasonably good job with 76 too... I really should get a PC sorted to play NV with mods, I can't imagine it would cost much at all to get something that'll run it smoothly these days.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

The first one has been remastered for Xbox one, I think it's on game pass atm, seems they're bringing all of them to the platform.

I haven't had the chance to play them but from what I've seen I'm going to love it. I appreciate your comments on gaming too man so I'll have to check out Atom too.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: that1lurker
The first Fallout game I played was Fallout 3 as well. I did play Fallout Tactics briefly and enjoyed it. It really is a great universe. Like you said though, Bethesda is butchering these games. I remember having my mind blown when Oblivion first came out. Now you look at Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 and wonder what they were thinking.

They are going backwards and I hope they realize that. I can't wait for the next Elder Scrolls but like so many games I used to love (Battlefield, Halo) they are going downhill quick. Hard to justify supporting them.

I will have to check out the original Fallouts though, I have them all on disc but never bothered checking them out because I have too many games to play.

Oblivion was one of my favorites as well... It was a good time for video games back then, and don't even get me started about Halo. I'm happy its finally coming to PC, and I will still be buying an xbox PURELY for Halo, just like I've don't for the last 3 xbox's I've owned. I sure hope they can redeem themselves with this...

originally posted by: LABTECH767

I think Bethesda did a good job of introducing the fallout universe to many formerly first person shooter only fan's as they did also the RPG concept - if not something that pleased everyone it was a gentle compromise if not according to deep lore fan's of the franchise Fallout worthy, NV was far superior but was actually rushed and never completed with only about a third of the map filled BUT you know if you really fancy a play through of the fallout first person world as it SHOULD be then I seriously recommend you download A Tale of Two Wastelands.
For the later game's you will need BOTH the full fallout 3 and NV and all there DLC to get this to work.

Once you have found TTW compatible mod's it will make the inferior first person games almost as good if not as deep in lore as that older game was but sadly no fixing the plot holes, poor scripting and bad AI that riddles the game's.

I have to agree, if it wasn't for Fallout 3, I may have never discovered the games in the first place. I might give a TTW a try next... I'm thinking about doing a modded out New Vegas run next...

originally posted by: Gothmog
Fallout 1 and 2
Get some mods from NoMutantsAllowed
There is also mods like Restoration project for Fallout 1
Check Widescreen Gaming on how to run on modern resolutions (or at least better resolutions)

Check into Wasteland Remastered (the remake of Wasteland , which was the original Post Apocalyptic RPG .) Thank this game for all it's descendants .

Also , look into the modern game Atom RPG

It's gonna be a minute before I can allow myself to dedicate the time required to playing through either of these again, but when the time comes (probably in a year or so) I'm definitely looking to give Fallout 1 a facelift.

As for Wasteland and Atom RPG, I've heard of Wasteland before and was considering checking it out, but Atom RPG is interesting... I would love a Fallout based in Russia or China to see what happened... So I might have to check this out to see a different companies perspective.

Thanks for all the replies guys, good to see some love for this series!

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Fallout 2 was one of my all time favorites.

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Wasteland 2, 3 is coming out soon, is made by the guy who made f1 and f2.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

new topics

top topics

join