It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Person struck by plane in Austin Texas.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Last night there was a person on the runway when a Southwest 737 was landing in Austin. Who? How did this poor soul get to runway 17? Ramp personnel? Just horrible.

www.fox7austin.com...

The incident happened on May 7 and involved Southwest Airlines flight 1392. The flight was arriving from Dallas at just after 8 p.m. when crew reported seeing a person visible on runway 17 shortly after touchdown. 

Southwest flight #1392 arrived safely this evening at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) after being cleared to land on runway 17R. The Southwest aircraft maneuvered to avoid an individual who became visible on runway 17R shortly after touchdown. The aircraft quickly came to a safe stop, and the Pilots reported the event to local air traffic controllers. After receiving further instructions from controllers, the aircraft taxied to a gate where all Customers and Crew deplaned the aircraft safely with no reports of onboard injuries. Tonight’s flight landed at 8:12 p.m. CDT, after arriving from Dallas Love Field (DAL). Southwest is fully cooperating with local law enforcement and FAA as those agencies investigate the event. We sincerely thank our Crew for their professionalism and swift response. 

Standby for edit:

edit on 8-5-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

That’s an interesting way to commit suicide. Why not a good old fashion bus?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: KKLOCO

Seems to be intentional. The 737 engines are low, which is why the cowlings it flat on the bottom. The 737's landing gears don't get fully placed in the wheelwell's thus the curved hub caps.

Don't know why that gif popped in

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They remained calm. Now the question is whom and why.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Heard about this last night, shortly after it happened.

I doubt it was an airport employee, not impossible, but I'd doubt it. Under any circumstances this will be considered a runway "Incursion" as there should never be anyone inside the object free area on an active runway.

Crunched the port nacelle pretty good, must have just landed when they hit him.

Sounds like 'Suicide by Turbine' if you ask me. That, or a crazy / drunk / drugged person. The airport security director is probably going to be answering some questions today.

edit on 5/8/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I suppose this person just hopped the fence.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Duplicate.

30.2181642, -97.6808609

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Airport perimeter security was always laughable at best. There were holes you could, and sometimes people did, drive through.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Wow, it's like this at KPIT Pittsburgh International Airport. We've had people trespassing too.

Security can't be everywhere all the time.
Weird that cemeteries are next to runways.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Not going to wake anyone up late at night, hopefully

Resurrection cemetery, interesting name

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Ohhh the stories. My 99 year old neighbor passed away 2 weeks ago. She is there now.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Lordy I just imagine the pilots are having a rough time too

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Sounds like 'Suicide by Turbine' if you ask me. 

Thought about that, may take time to identify the victim.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Lordy I just imagine the pilots are having a rough time too

Listen to Zaphod's YT? video of ATC Audio. But once the those pilot's have a chance when it's calm, yes I agree it will set in. But it's not the pilots fault.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Oh, no doubt! Happens all the time! Hell, we had a drunk dude with a pickup and a horse trailer drive down one of the runways. He even had a horse in his trailer!

Didn't stop the Airport, the FAA, the Airlines and about 20 others from drilling the airport security director about perimeter security.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Holy crap! That is insane!
I wonder what was going through the guys mind?
That's quite the dent. How horrible. For everyone involved. I feel bad for the pilots. They tried, but really there was only so much they could do.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:46 PM
link   

But it's not the pilots fault.

At an airport, aircraft always have the right of way.

No exceptions.

That said, if this person has any relatives, I wouldn't be surprised to see some ambulance chaser try to cock up some kind of a lawsuit against SWA and/or the Airport.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

We had a hangar area for private aircraft that the owners could drive their cars out to the hangar, if they had a permit. Only two issues. One was that the gate was slow as hell to close, so you could easily get two or even three cars in at once. The second was that once you were through the gate, the entire airport was wide open. IIRC at one point the gate broke, so they just left it open and put a minimum wage, unarmed guard next to it to check passes. It's a damn miracle nothing ever happened.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

That said, if this person has any relatives, I wouldn't be surprised to see some ambulance chaser try to cock up some kind of a lawsuit against SWA and/or the Airport.

That would be utterly BS. There's no way SWA and the airport is at fault. I feel bad for all parties, but it comes down to personal responsibilities.

At an airport, aircraft always have the right of way.

That's quite true.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join