It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Range finding ballistic scope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Ummm...hello everybody...

I’ve been shopping around for a new scope for my...varmint...rifle...

Low and behold...I found this one that might just fit the bill...

I wanted to find an “all around” scope...that had a built in range finder and ballistics calculator...

This one does that...and much...much more...

I introduce to you the ATN X-sight 4K pro

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 3-14X done ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 5-20X SKU DGWSXS3144KP DGWSXS5204KP Magnification 3-14x 5-20x Field of view at 1000 yds 460 ft (9°) 240 ft (5°) Sensor ATN 4K M265 Sensor, 3864 (H) x 2218 (V) Core ATN Obsidian IV Dual Core System Resolution 600 lp/mm Micro Display 1280x720 HD Display Eye relief 90 mm Video Record Resolution 1080p @ 30/60/120** fps Ballistic Calculator Yes WiFi (Streaming, Gallery, & Controls) iOS & Android Bluetooth Yes 3D Gyroscope Yes 3D Accelerometer Yes E-Barometer Yes Smart Range Finder Yes RAV (Recoil Activated Video) Yes Electronic Compass Yes Smooth Zoom Yes Night Vision Mode Yes Reticles Multiple Patterns & Color Options Microphone Yes Micro SD card 4 to 64 Gb Micro USB, type C Yes Mount 30 mm Standard Rings (included) IR Illuminator Included Battery life (Li-ion) 18 + hrs Battery type Internal Lithium Ion Battery Waterproof rating / IP rating Weather resistant Smart Mil Dot Value Range 1.0-10.0 Operating Temperature -20°F to +120°F / -28°C to 48°C Dimensions (body only) 13.8"x3"x3"/ 350x76x76 mm 14.9"x3"x3"/ 379x76x76 mm Weight 2.1 lb / 0.94 kg 2.2 lb / 1.01 kg Warranty 2 years ATN X-SIGHT 4K PRO 5-20X

Oh...did I forget to mention...night vision...that’s included as well...

The main thrust of this thread is to hopefully get some reviews from the community...as per this make and model of scope...

Do any of you own and use this scope...?

If so...what are your pro’s and cons...?

My interest is purely in the built in and plug and play features that ATN has assembled into one package...

So...help an old fart out if you would...and give up some of that wisdom...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Looks like a very nice scope, and not astronomically priced either. I’m tempted to buy one just to try it out lol. I may get on YouTube later and see if there are any reviews.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: willzilla

Ummm...the reviews I’ve found are the usual mixed bag...but trend toward the

The not astronomical price was definitely a draw for me...

I know there’s a learning curve...as with most things...so...I’m wondering if some of the negatives are due to that factor...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir
Looks like a good scope
Don't know about using Bluetooth to record the hunt
Game wardens might be able to monitor if you're hunting something out of season or something they say might be protected like mountain lion or bear that kill your livestock

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I'll have to check if this can go on an AR-15.
It records too. Dang

Thanks for posting.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Actually, we had a member who bought that scope when it came out a couple years ago...he loved it as he and his son hunted small and medium game for pelts ( he said/ over trapping).

Havent seen the member, disappeared after the election, might of hit a ban, trying to remember his name.

Scopes like this are a mixed bag. I personally have my heavier longer range scopes on my 300wm, .308 where I may use a bipod etc...and Im shooting serious range.

I prefer a 1-6×24, or 1-8 x 24 for "other applications) as theres nothing worse than turning to face an upclose target and having an x3 magnification blow your shot.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It's like the kids that are reliant on calculators and can't do manual math.. what happens if the shtf and you run out of batteries?

Learn how to scope manually and you'll never be disappointed by anyone but your own skill.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: irgust
Looks like a good scope
Don't know about using Bluetooth to record the hunt
Game wardens might be able to monitor if you're hunting something out of season or something they say might be protected like mountain lion or bear that kill your livestock

Ummm...true...some features like GPS...and Bluetooth...should always have an...off switch/button/micro-window on the ole touch screen...

I do like how it syncs to a tablet or smart phone...for convenience...my smart phone...I can turn off GPS and location mapping...as well as data through the network...the Bluetooth is range limited as well...

Great point’s...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Ummm...thank you...good sir...

The recording that perfect...(or not so perfect shot)...for ah...posterity...is definitely a really cool feature...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Actually, we had a member who bought that scope when it came out a couple years ago...he loved it as he and his son hunted small and medium game for pelts ( he said/ over trapping).

Havent seen the member, disappeared after the election, might of hit a ban, trying to remember his name.

Scopes like this are a mixed bag. I personally have my heavier longer range scopes on my 300wm, .308 where I may use a bipod etc...and Im shooting serious range.

I prefer a 1-6×24, or 1-8 x 24 for "other applications) as theres nothing worse than turning to face an upclose target and having an x3 magnification blow your shot.

Ummm...I hear ya man...I was mainly looking for the ballistics calculating/correcting feature...and the range finder feature...instead of lugging around multiple pieces of equipment...I wanted to find something with all of that in one compact package...

There are definitely trade off’s for sure...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
It's like the kids that are reliant on calculators and can't do manual math.. what happens if the shtf and you run out of batteries?

Learn how to scope manually and you'll never be disappointed by anyone but your own skill.

Ummm...I guess we’ll find out...won’t we...about the zombie apocalypse that is...

I certainly can’t fault your logic...

However...as I stated above...it’s the combination of features...such as range finding etc...that appeals to my old mind...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I guess if you're looking for an all in one...I cant speak to its range finding.

I can speak to a couple hunts where an x5 lowend magnification would of lost me the shot. So just something to keep in mind while preppin for zombies

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
it’s the combination of features...such as range finding etc...that appeals to my old mind...

Just get a range finder, Brother. I got mine from Sig. The model's obsolete now, but it accurately ranges out to 3kms. Sig's got a line out now that marries up with their scope. A buddy of mine has one. It's truly an awesome combo. Unfortunately, not legal for hunting everywhere you might wanna be.

That optic in your OP. Something that does _everything_ ... probably doesn't do _anything_ well.

ETA: And it weighs 2lbs. My big scope weighs 4lbs. I like my big scope, but it makes me appreciate lighter optics.

edit on 852020 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Ummm...to be honest...that’s what I was initially searching for...a range finder...

Then I found this scope online...

No doubt your right...attempting to do all of those functions no doubt has some trade off factor factored in...

Yet...there are some really good reviews...too bad they don’t have a try before you buy...

Sooo...off to check out those Sig scope/range finder combo’s...

Thank you brother...much appreciated...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
Yet...there are some really good reviews...too bad they don’t have a try before you buy...

Never hurts to ask. You might find something out about them if you give them a ring.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Thread update:

I watched some YouTube reviews on the ATN X-sight 4K pro scope and let me say...they all had glowing reports...

Thank you all for your comments and consideration...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: hombero

The exact same thing happens if you run out of ammunition.

This is the 21st century!

Should we go back to WW2 bazookas? They didn't have batteries. All the new heavy gear has batteries and battery tech is getting better decade by decade.

P

posted on May, 9 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Now can you link a VR Headset to the scope with wifi.

Then you can think about aiming your rifle around a corner without exposing yourself.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

The army's new envg3 & envg3b night vision setup pairs with a sight called the FWS being developed alongside it and has full HUD capabilities as well as fuzed image intensification and flir camera imaging on both the headset and the rifle optic.

It also integrates a full up ballistics suite laser range finder and some other sensors which can project a dot into your HUD showing you exactly where your point of impact will be in real time.

All this stuff was scifi even 5 years ago. 5 years from now it'll be industry standard. There's already optics on the market leading the way with disturbed reticle digital overlay displays onboard laser and ballistics software available now. There's even a new red dot out that projects a fully configurable HUD into the sight window and stores up to 11 fully customizable reticle designs that you can toggle between at any time. It even incorporates a smart zeroing app that will self calibrate and adjust the sight automatically other than you physically having to take 2 shots for it to do its zero calculations from. This red dot, $500 iirc... That's not even expensive compared to many high end dumb red dots.

Also, expect to see the full feature in optic display technologies proliferate everywhere in the next 2 years likely with vortex optics and Leupold leading the pack since they're the two companies providing small batches of touch point prototype optics for the eventual winner of the NGSAR program.

The Vortex one is very nice looking too. It's essentially their 1-8 razor 2 lpvo with an LRF ballistic computer other sensors and an in optic display jammed into it and weighs about 2.2 pounds.

posted on May, 17 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

No joke right?

Thanks anyway is what I say to people who have daddy opinions like that.

My 1-8 night force nx8 has around 140 hours of battery life on a single battery and replacements are cheap.

Also, boy are they gonna poop their pants with technological terror when they see the optics that come out in the next few years!

The DOD released a couple display technologies to people in the industry in the last few years which are about to start quickly becoming standard in anything but the lowest of low end optics. Hell there's now a red dot with a built in HUD on the market and it's even very affordable!

Also, the batteries are the devil crowd need to get a grip because whether it's my nx8 or these upcoming smart optics... They can ALL operate in dumb mode in a pinch!

top topics

join