It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ants In A Log

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Whoa, I'd never heard of this. Raisins on celery? Sounds nasty.

Ants on a log is a snack made by spreading cream cheese, peanut butter, ricotta cheese or any number of spreads on celery and placing raisins on top. The snack name was first used in the 1950s.

Here's more variations.

en.wikipedia.org...

Sure, I've put peanut butter on celery but raisins and cream cheese? Ricotta(pronounced Rigott)? I'm against this, it's against all the rules of food I know. And sounds nastier than mushrooms(evil spawn that they are). Well, the magic ones can be fun at times but I'm afraid of them as the last time didn't go very well.

Just no. Like putting potato chips on a sandwich or Cincinnati chili, totally an silliness. No, I say, and that's the final word on this except for the bs I'll spout next.

Raisins on celery? Should I now mix rhubarb with pecans, are we going so willy nilly with foods that this happens?

NO, I say, NO to this abomination.

And that's the final answer as I'm the arbiter of all that is good and tasty.

THAT is not tasty.

So there.
edit on 5/8/2020 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/8/2020 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:55 AM
link   
But I think "ants on a log" is a good snack.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Sorry, can't read what you typed. Please choose another font.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I said I like ants on a log.a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

edit on 5/8/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
I said I like ants on a log.a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

That font is too big. It scares me. Please use a more pleasant font.
edit on b000000312020-05-08T06:29:25-05:0006America/ChicagoFri, 08 May 2020 06:29:25 -0500600000020 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I like plain peanut butter on celery. I don't know why people have to try to make things way more complicated and expensive.

I found that using organic celery is a big plus in making these, lots more flavor. It Reminds me of the way celery used to taste fifty years ago. We usually try to buy the Jif natural peanut butter when it goes on sale, but the regular Jif and IGA brand is almost as good. Some of them have way too much soybean oil.

Mixing too much flavors together kind of ruins things.

When out working somewhere where there is no refrigerator, I used to take balogna sandwiches with mustard, they get warm sitting in a cooler lunchbox in the truck by lunchtime. I started taking a bag of chips and crushing them onto the balogna in the premade sandwich to give it some crunch and texture right before eating it. I did that for over fifty years, started that while fishing when I was young and have been doing it all these years. Taught my granddaughter that too, she does that sometimes now. I usually do not like potato chips that often other than they are salty when you are sweating in the summer.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I can't do nuthin right

Nobody likes me
Everybody hates me
Guess I'll eat some worms ANTS ON A LOG!

edit on 5/8/2020 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   

a reply to: butcherguy

I can't do nuthin right

Nobody likes me
Everybody hates me
Guess I'll eat some worms ANTS ON A LOG!

I haven't heard that worms song for a while!

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Who hasn't heard of ants on a log? The peanut butter raisin variation....it's awesome.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Potato chips carefully nestled within a sandwich is one of life's great pleasures.

edit on 8-5-2020 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Why not real ants.

I ate shredded chicken and ants sandwich long time ago. Mayonnaise is a must.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
Why not real ants.

I ate shredded chicken and ants sandwich long time ago. Mayonnaise is a must.

I would rather eat boiled drained earthworms with spaghetti sauce. The formate in ants has a bad taste, it is used for medicines sometimes, but I do not like the taste of ants. I have eaten some during picnics over the years.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I ate raw, live earthworms as a boy at school. I'm not sure why I thought it would impress people, just like I'm not sure why I thought they would taste any better covered in common ground black pepper. I was a strange boy.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I ate raw, live earthworms as a boy at school. I'm not sure why I thought it would impress people, just like I'm not sure why I thought they would taste any better covered in common ground black pepper. I was a strange boy.

You have to squeeze all the stuff out of the night crawlers guts and wash them well then they do not taste that bad when cooked. I only had them once, and I learned that feeding them to the fish on a hook has much better tasting results.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   
OMG, you all are hilarious! Some of your responses are making me laugh and gag at the same time.

I remember when I was a kid, my youngest sister would eat potato chip sandwiches. She was a very finicky eater when she was little, and would go for weeks only eating eggs or something like that. I think she gave my parents fits at times. My thing at the time was saltine cracker sandwiches with Miracle Whip. I ate those a lot as a kid.

As far as celery and raisins, I like them separate, but not together. I gag at the thought of raisins on celery. And I hate peanut butter, but will eat peanuts like they are going out of style. Go figure on that.

I’m not real keen on trying to eat worms or other insects. No thanks. I’ve tried raw squid, octopus and jellyfish. Weirdly enough, I enjoyed the raw jellyfish. It reminded me of pickles, only more mushy and rubbery.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Cream cheese on celery would be pretty awesome, because cream cheese is pretty awesome. But raisins? No thanks. Maybe sprinkle some bacon bits over he cream cheese...

And I must say, kettle chips go surprisingly well on cheese burgers with mushrooms and onions...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   

That's why I said you have to put mayo on it.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
A star for you for adding
Bacon
a reply to: Liquesence

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This recipe name instantly reminded me of a szechuan dish called Ants on a Branch or Ants Climing a Tree: Ants climbing a tree

its shredded pork on bean thread noodles and is pretty tasty. Not so sure about cream cheese peanut butter and raisins on
celery. I still like peanut butter on celery, but its a simple combo for a reason. Fancification would just mess it all up

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I wasn't trying to be a doink I'm just blind.

a reply to: DietWoke

Yeah, I just can't do that. I'm usually game for trying something I haven't had but chips on a sandwich sounds so awful that I can't get myself to do it.

a reply to: Liquesence

Not a big fan of cream cheese but I think you may be on to something there with the bacon. I've got some killer bacon from Sprouts ($3 a pound, great deal) and celery but no cream cheese so that will have to wait until another time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join