It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VE day - 08 MAY 1945 - lest we forget . 75 years on

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:31 AM
link   
today marks the day that 3rd reich forces in europe surrendered unconditionally

WWII - in the european thatre was over - there was still " mopping up " and the fall out of the collapse of hitlers reich - and of course the start of conflict with the soviet blok .

but allmost all the guns fell silent - in the western hemisphere

there are few left alive of those who fought to secure that peace [ al be it breif peace ]

we shal remember them .

no links - no citations - do i really need them

put down your partisan #nuttery - for just one day - and reflect

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Unfortunately, I think there are many who don't appreciate, or even understand the selfless sacrifice, patriotism and complete unity that was required at that crossroads of history.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
today marks the day that 3rd reich forces in europe surrendered unconditionally

WWII - in the european thatre was over - there was still " mopping up " and the fall out of the collapse of hitlers reich - and of course the start of conflict with the soviet blok .

but allmost all the guns fell silent - in the western hemisphere

there are few left alive of those who fought to secure that peace [ al be it breif peace ]

we shal remember them .

no links - no citations - do i really need them

put down your partisan #nuttery - for just one day - and reflect

Good post and well said.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.
www.greatwar.co.uk...

We honor their sacrifice , lest we forget.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Buckingham Palace on VE day.

My mother was in one of those crowds. The only comment I remember from her is that, on the ground, it wasn't the continuous flow of sound that registers on newsreels. It was more a case of isolated cheers, someone shouting "Hooray!" on the left, then somebody else over on the right.

My father was still somewhere in Germany.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI
So even then, they were faking the news.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain
Not really. The continuous cheering on newsreels would be the aggregated sound, what the cheering sounded like from the further distance where the microphones were located.

edit on 8-5-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

We all know the war was won and how badly the JEw's were treated... no need to keep putting stories in the papers and media about it. How do people move on, if they are being reminded every year??

Yes, we know it took many people sacrificing themselves for the good and it was obviously a time for celebrations.... but... move on..

Are we still gonna be reading about it in another 70 odd years??? Gosh, I hope to not be hearing about it next year, let alone over the next 70 years... every year.
edit on 8-5-2020 by CrazeeWorld777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CrazeeWorld777

Poor you, I cannot imagine the suffering you're enduring by having to hear about this again. It must have been awful how badly everyone twisted your arm to make you post in this thread. My sympathies.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

We remember their sacrifice as a reminder of what was nearly lost , a reminder of what was given by the few to ensure the freedoms of the many , is one day a year such a price for you to pay some respect to those who laid down their lives for you.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

We remember their sacrifice as a reminder of what was nearly lost , a reminder of what was given by the few to ensure the freedoms of the many , is one day a year such a price for you to pay some respect to those who laid down their lives for you.

Are you doing to celebrate for every year you have left on this planet?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Poor you, I cannot imagine the suffering you're enduring by having to hear about this again. It must have been awful how badly everyone twisted your arm to make you post in this thread. My sympathies.

No one twisted my arm, I just thought I'd post my thoughts.

If you want to waste your time and remember every year until you die, it's upto you but I have other things to get on with...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: CrazeeWorld777
If you want to waste your time and remember every year until you die, it's upto you but I have other things to get on with...

You obviously don't by you repeatedly opining in this thread. It must be a terrible hardship.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Are you doing to celebrate for every year you have left on this planet?

Who is celebrating ? , commemoration is not celebration.
Yes , I will give 2 minutes of silence as a mark of respect to honour those who gave their lives to deliver us VE day , I will also give 2 minutes of silence in November to mark Armistice day to give thanks for the end of the war.

I don't see your problem.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I used to think that.

But then when I was 14 my , 'world view' changed.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:46 AM
link   
When will the warring end on ATS?

Someone has a different point of view..... attack attack.

So amusing.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

There is EVERY need to keep on reminding people about WWII and remembering and honouring those who fought and those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.

If ever there was a just war it was WWII and the fight against Hitler and the Nazi's.

The people who fought for our nation(s), our freedom and our very existence deserve our utmost respect.
And we owe them an enormous debt of gratitude.

They were brave, resilient people who resisted tyranny and helped shape the world we live in today.

Without them you would not be able to spout your selfish, snowflake bollocks on here or anywhere else.

I only hope we never have to rely on the likes of you in the future.

I was lucky enough to work with people who fought in WWII; Desert Rats who fought Rommel in the desert, paratroppers who saw action in Arnhem. In my very first job on leaving school I worked with a man who was in the first group of soldiers who entered Belsen....his vivid recollection remains with me to this day.
I knew people who were held in P.O.W. camps in both the European arena and in the far east.

Over the years I've met quite a few who served, unfortunately they've all passed and can no longer retell their stories first hand.
We owe it to them to remember their service and relate their stories for them in an effort to ensure it never happens again.

We need to remember the horror of war and learn as much as we can from it in order to minimise the chance of such a large scale global war ever occurring again.
edit on 8/5/20 by Freeborn because: spelling, typo's.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   
When I first got to the UK, the pubs were full of old WW2 vets. Once I spoke and word got around a Yank was in the house...well damn...the stories just kept a comin as fast as the pints. And not just the boys mind you, met some lovely nurses and WAF pilots.

By todays measure...we are a bunch of pussies compared to them.

To those still with us, and all those who never saw home again I hoist a pint in your honor.

Respect.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I been saying the same thing about racism /slavery. They should teach that stuff in college not grade school. It just keeps it rolling teaching them at a young age about it.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Maybe a bit of a cliche but so true nonetheless; Balls of Steel.

I had some great craic with some of the old timers. I thought I knew everything and was hard as nails, they soon put me right on both scores.

I'd been thrown out of school and once he'd calmed down about it my Dad used to take me down his local on a dinner time as he worked permanent nights at the time.
There used to be a handful of old boys who had fought in the WWII in there and one old guy who signed up at 14 years old to fight in WW1 and then again in '39.
Cracking guy with lots of stories and a non-stop stream of jokes....and loved taking the piss out of anything and everything, just my sort of guy.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join