It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange case of the Spanish Flu’s ending

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on May, 7 2020 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Simply, to this day, THEY DON’T KNOW HOW THE SPANISH FLU ENDED!

No scientific certainty on how and why it ended.

Theories abound, one being the FLU started to be treated better through experience but this is refuted.

Another, mere theory, not a scientific fact, is that it mutated to a less lethal strain all by itself.

en.wikipedia.org...

End of the pandemic

After the lethal second wave struck in late 1918, new cases dropped abruptly – almost to nothing after the peak in the second wave.[59] In Philadelphia, for example, 4,597 people died in the week ending 16 October, but by 11 November, influenza had almost disappeared from the city. One explanation for the rapid decline in the lethality of the disease is that doctors became more effective in prevention and treatment of the pneumonia that developed after the victims had contracted the virus. However, John Barry stated in his 2004 book The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague In History that researchers have found no evidence to support this position.[5] Some fatal cases did continue into March 1919, killing one player in the 1919 Stanley Cup Finals.
Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out[5] (see also "Deadly Second Wave", above).

Another strange thing about the Spanish Flu, maybe wrath from God for WW1, Is that people who were the fighting war age of 20 to 40 were the most who died, unlike the usual flu victims who are aged and very young and unlike the COVID 19 that is more lethal to the aged and middle-aged folks.

Another interesting thing Is that just what we are going through now is almost the same issues as there were in 1918: Social distancing, massive quarantines, massive shutdowns, and the studies concluded the social distancing and shutting down society is the best way to deal with the problem.

But strangely it went away by ITSELF, there was no medicine that worked nor any vaccine.

So, Trump's idea of that happening may not be as much of a screwball idea though it is not a scientific or reasonable way to conclude that COVID 19 will be the same way...Maybe it will...Time WillTell.

I hope it does and end soon as mysteriously as the 1918 flu evaporated.

edit on 7-5-2020 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

A quick google search and its difficult to answer the question why it ended so abruptly. There are no obvious answers.

It just...stopped. Of course the measures you speak of helped but yeah, interesting.
edit on 8-5-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
If I put on my most beautiful tinfoil hat at these hours; I will say our covid-19 problems will dissipate on May14. Sometimes those in the know give little clues:
en.m.wikipedia.org...

Victor and Corona's Memorial Day is 24 November (11 November in the Orthodox church calendar). Their feast day is 14 May.

Taking off my most beautiful tinfoil hat now. Good night.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I'm not a scientist, but it strikes me that killing the host animal is a bad strategy, in Darwinian terms, so it's in the interests of any bacterium/virus to evolve into something less lethal.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Or maybe cellular theory is more correct than germ theory, and viruses are internal, not external.

This thinking would recontextualise what virus are, and are actually doing to us, and how they may be treated.

A very good Chinese Medicine doctor told my wife just before closing up shop a couple months ago, that this "virus" can only truly be treated with eastern medicines and methodologies.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
Or maybe cellular theory is more correct than germ theory, and viruses are internal, not external.

This thinking would recontextualise what virus are, and are actually doing to us, and how they may be treated.

A very good Chinese Medicine doctor told my wife just before closing up shop a couple months ago, that this "virus" can only truly be treated with eastern medicines and methodologies.

Ummm...so...powdered tiger penis...with a side of black bear gallbladder...?

I hear they second as...aphrodisiacs as well...

Gotta love that eastern medicine...yessir...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:26 AM
link   

There is no such thing as a live virus....there are only viral sized Garbage bags of dead inert material surrounded by a coating catalysed by Antibodies produced to protect the body.

The attributes and all facets of research that are applied to viruses are stolen impacts of from Pleomorphic Bacteria being hijacked and then misrepresented to us all.

There is no such thing as Eastern Medicine ...the word medicine is contrived tactical and has been weaponised against humanity.The word medicine was invented to make you believe something originating from outside the body is required to stop illnesses....the word CURE is another weaponised word created to support the fake word medicine......Eastern Philosophy says there are REMEDYS that kill contaminates which prevent the body from functioning optimally and then this enables the body to heal itself....no medicines or cures involved a any levels....we feed the body the right foods and it heals itself on its own.

If you don't need medicines because there is no such thing as a cure they can give you then you stop listening to the Carpetbaggers who call themselves doctors and scientists who lie to you.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Thank you... I've read/heard this before, and it's one of those things I keep telling myself I need to check into further and then never get to!

It's truly "a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma."

I cannot even begin to guess what it could be. Actually, I could guess a zillion things, some more feasible than others of course! But I really don't know why this would be.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Deep Conspiracies say Spanish Flu was a left-over experiment from WW1 chemical weapon experiments and research 😈

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Certain people have better immunity, once it ran it's course, those with good adaptive innate immunity survived the spanish flu. My grandfather used to say that some people got the Spanish Flu bad, while his family just got something like a cold from it. Back in the early nineteen hundreds, a lot of people had changed their diet and ate a lot of junk food. It was not so different as today. They added lots of stuff to preserve foods back those days in the cities, but farmers used more time tested ways of doing things. It is like the italian lunchmeats, they have been preserving their meats that way for many hundreds of years, but they evolved with those spices and herbs and preservation methods, people from different cultures cannot metabolize them correctly and it can disrupt some people's immune systems. I can eat more of those than my father did without weakening me, but still need to watch it because too much is not good.

I was born before fifty six, I guess most people who were born before that have natural immunity to the H1N1 flu. This immunity gives the person the ability to fight off many of the avian flues well. www.sciencedirect.com...

And here it explains how a kid with the early h1n1 gets adaptive immunity. www.nhs.uk...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Wow... the ignorance here is pretty astounding... one small comment about a Chinese medicine doctor, and it's like a pack of rabid dogs making laughably incorrect statements based on a lack of knowledge.

Just as with western medicine, there are lots of different aspects to eastern medicinal methodologies. Many are crack-pot crazy (just as with western medicine), but a good doctor (regardless of their culture) bypasses institutionalized stupidity and applies years of experience of dealing with people with disease.

Also, I was just asking a question about the aptness of Germ Theory (Pasteur) which is mainly our current approach in medicine, over Cellular Theory (Bechamp) which is an alternative model to microbial environments that has never been dis-proven... it is just another interpretation of what we can see.

Given that our current methodologies seem to be unable to adequately nail down exactly what this thing is, and all of it's variables... it doesn't hurt thinking outside the box and looking at the problem from as many angles as possible.

Retroviruses are really not very well understood as a whole... which begs the question of why scientists and politicians say statements with such surety.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: one4all

Funnily enough, in practice, a lot of eastern "medicine" is about eating the right foods.

A lot of the "traditional knowledge" (which is mostly the stupid stuff about dragons flowing through energy points) has been set to the side in recent years, leaving some fairly down to earth methodologies around health.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Yeah, because we know the eastern lands never have issues with viral outbreaks...especially China...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Yeah, because we know the eastern lands never have issues with viral outbreaks...especially China...

Ummm...they do have an inordinate amount of viruses...that originate from there...

Makes one wonder if all these...concoctions...are responsible...

You know...eye of newt...wing of bat...testicle of tapir...

That sort of thing...

YouSir

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The first SARS just vanished too:

bioethics.georgetown.edu...

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Perhaps it is as simple as us, human beings, are an incredible being able to adapt biologically to some powerful threats.

It is us that does the worst and lasting damage which is why a lockdown has been used globally to maximise the effect of something we COULD overcome so naturally by letting it run it's course through normal interaction on a regular daily basis.

Sure, people have died, they always will, but maybe it is why everyone hasn't just dropped dead the moment they catch....whatever it REALLY is.

Or isn't.

My friend would probably not have hung herself from a tree in her garden two weeks ago without the stress, depression and effect of being isolated from everything she needs to function normally. May she rest in peace.
edit on 8/5/2020 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Nothing strange about it. Over prescribing of aspirin - Bayer the culprit.

Old news.

www.sciencedaily.com...

The devastation of the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic is well known, but a new article suggests a surprising factor in the high death toll: the misuse of aspirin. Appearing in the November 1 issue of Clinical Infectious Diseases and available online now, the article sounds a cautionary note as present day concerns about the novel H1N1 virus run high.

High aspirin dosing levels used to treat patients during the 1918-1919 pandemic are now known to cause, in some cases, toxicity and a dangerous build up of fluid in the lungs, which may have contributed to the incidence and severity of symptoms, bacterial infections, and mortality. Additionally, autopsy reports from 1918 are consistent with what we know today about the dangers of aspirin toxicity, as well as the expected viral causes of death

www.nytimes.com...

What raised Dr. Starko’s suspicions is that high doses of aspirin, amounts considered unsafe today, were commonly used to treat the illness, and the symptoms of aspirin overdose may have been difficult to distinguish from those of the flu, especially among those who died soon after they became ill.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Are you saying everyone on the same day stopped using aspirin?

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Its not just with the "Spanish Flu" either.

This is something that shows up for many novel, emergent viruses. Same with Cytokine Storm Syndrome.

Id say it's the result of a confluence of events that push things past a "tipping point." I also have sincere doubts that approaches like total population lockdowns are particularly effective and may even contribute to increased death as they are lifted, as well as more general consequences stemming from it.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Didn't Spanish flu start on three different contintents at the same time?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join