It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sailors of ATS, a question...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for the suggestion. Wintering in the Bahamas does sound like a great idea to my aging Canadian bones. Snow can F itself, I say.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I'm not familiar with that name, but I'll definitely look it up. If I'm lucky, it might lead to some interesting quarantine reading. Thanks!

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Bent8484

just my advice - drop the seach for " high strangeness " - and from your home port - just sett sail - on oceans blue .

deal with your desinations - one leg at a time

you will find wonders and marvels - at every stop - you just need to look

simples

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I'm surprised. Would you have known the name "Kon-Tiki"? It's that story.

edit on 8-5-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bent8484
Hey guys... sitting in quarantine, thinking about my postponed travel plans. Before all this, I'd made an offer on a small live-aboard sailboat, with just enough displacement to handle blue water/ocean crossings safely. I'm still hoping to sail out next Fall, God willing. Initially, I want to travel down the east coast of America, then make the Panama crossing and keep heading south along the Western coast of South America. I haven't given much thought to my travel plans after this, however...

So, my question: if you could sail anywhere in search of high strangeness and interesting phenomenon, where would you go first? The only caveat is that destinations have to be accessible by sea, but otherwise it could be anywhere in the world. Thanks, I appreciate any interesting suggestions.

Anywhere here.

Northern Australia. Top of the state of Western Australia. Between late April and September. Quite warm, calm. Sea life abounds, scenery to kill for. Diving could be hazardous due to crocs but plenty of safe waterholes. Anchor the boat and climb up a bit to the waterfalls. Tides can be extreme but many a safe and deep anchorage can be found. You would be unlucky to see another sailor in this region.

Camera is a must.

Horizontal Falls

Fresh and salt water Barramundi abound and great crabbing too. Sail SW from Darwin. Couple of months then SSW along the coast to Shark Bay. Plenty of safe reefs to explore and fish abound. Trolling is a must. Then south to the port of Freemantle WA. Near Perth. A great adventure.

Kind Regards,

Bally

edit on 8-5-2020 by bally001 because: Add pic

edit on 8-5-2020 by bally001 because: Add pic

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I figure that's what I'll end up doing afterwards regardless. I do want to spend a few years at sea, so my first few destinations will only take me so long. I have to make a stop in South America for a business project, but after that I'm free to wander.

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I haven't, though I could swear I've heard that somewhere before.

Sounds like the dead guy from Into the Wild but with a raft.
edit on 8-5-2020 by Bent8484 because: Into the wild's complicated authorship

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Hot damn, that looks beautiful.

Australia is definitely on my radar. I've found it difficult to find good English language sources about the Australian Aboriginals' dreamings. I'm hoping that being Canadian First Nations (Cree Nation, if anyone's curious) would give me a foot in the door to discuss and compare folklore. And those pictures are beautiful... definitely a lot of interesting flora and fauna to be seen. Thanks for your input.

Sea crocs are scary, but I don't dive lol

posted on May, 8 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I would love to do the Mediterranean along Turkish and Greek coast and travel the Bosporus and cross somewhere into the Black Sea for a looksie. Lived in Turkey for a few years and loved it but the whole region has changed and the many different locales one would need visas and other requirements would be a drain.

An isolated trip like you have planned would be exciting but I wonder if travel as we have enjoyed up until this virus will ever be allowed again. Sadly I am in doubt it will be.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Yeah, that remains to be seen. I like to think we'll return to some degree of normality in a year or two, but it's really hard to know for sure just yet. Fingers crossed.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bent8484

So, my question: if you could sail anywhere in search of high strangeness and interesting phenomenon, where would you go first?

The only caveat is that destinations have to be accessible by sea, but otherwise it could be anywhere in the world.

Lots of incredibly strange reports coming out of Puerto Rico - particularly the areas around the El Yunque rainforest and Mona Channel.

posted on May, 12 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Thanks for the link. That does look interesting, and it's an easy destination to add to the first leg of my trip.

posted on May, 15 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

No worries mate, if you ever make it over to Europe then Bempton and Flamborough head off the coast of Yorkshire, England also generates a lot of very freaky reports.

Cheers with the rum

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join