It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Warns US-S. Korean Military Drill Could Result in "Actual War"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Natural resources:
    coal,
    lead,
    tungsten,
    zinc,
    graphite,
    magnesite,
    iron ore,
    copper,
    gold, pyrites, salt, fluorspar, hydropower

Imports
    petroleum,
    grain,
    coking coal,
    machinery and equipment, consumer goods

Two biggies- petroleum and coke. Without both of these no steel related industry. I find exports of some raw materials- magnasite (magnesium related) , some zinc and gold . This, by itself, is worrisome. Not enough raw materials to export means either limited amount or underdeveloped mining. Magnesium is a higher level metal than steel. If NK is exporting it instead of using it then their industry is not in keeping with the reast of the modern world.

They have been known to export uranium flourides to Libya- so NK does have a bit of an export market.

Not enough potable water. As poor as the country is this is a real problem. There won't be excess funds for treatment plants. NK has a record of buying technology. While not a big buyer apparently they are a steady buyer.

Importing food, not enough money, negative balance of payments - - - the only 'currency' NK has for trade is nuclear products. They will negotiate from a position of terror. The countries that have been supporting them are tired of the drain. NK has a bleak future.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think takemeout should be takenout.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
I am astounded that anyone still thinks "Nuke 'em" is a solution.

Ever heard of atmospheric winds? Fallout? Long term contamination? Mutation? Chronic debilitating illness?

Thats why you need those new ground burrowing mini nukes

Seriously though, unless you want a full scale war on the Korean penninsula, the chice here is a simple one.

A total blockade, starve him out. I am not making light of the number that would die, however, there is always the possibility (doubtful) of a coup within. Even Kim has to deal with pratcial realities now and them.

Nucking them is :shk: (can't think of anything to say and stay within the T&C of the site. Its a dumb move: Nevermind that we have a ton of troops, neverming that the fallout pattern will hit Japan, China and many other countries the hardest who will not be pleased to say the least, we will all be affected......

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
A total blockade might only serve to hurt the NK people rather then the leadership or the military. Also, China would never agree to a total blockade, could you imagine the number of refugees that would be flooding Chinese borders if a blockade was implemented?

But an internal coup might be feasible, with one catch. The coup, i believe, will only succeed if it's done by China.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It has never cease to be amazed the last bastion of some people is the knee jerk reaction. Perhaps the end result on the Korean peninisula will be some kind of nuclear exchange, but to desire it is moronic.

I however believe there are two other more likely outcomes.

1. China seeing a war coming, will invade to solve the North Korean mess themselves, not wanting to risk have American forces engaged in military operations so close to there borders.
(Note: China has been building logistics bases near the North Korean border.)

2. North Korea impoldes and streams of refugees pour out, thus creating a immense humantarian crisis.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye
I think takemeout should be takenout.

Ah, with an attitude like which was expressed it will not be long before the member is taken out.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Every time someone screams "nuke them"!; everyone responds in appalation.

Every time.

Why? Aren't you used to it by now? Don't you realize it's simply done for attention and shock effect? Seriously.....don't feed the friggin fire.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
As I understand the situation, sanctions on North Korea have been imposed but it's not Kim's fat-arse that's going hungry.

www.disasterrelief.org... has this to say:

Cut off from the rest of the world by their hyper-secretive government, the people of North Korea have suffered with little notice by the outside world. And after five years of economic decline and abysmal harvests, they have no real hope of alleviating the famine ravaging their country. With relief supplies running out, once again North Korea is facing a tenuous battle, one that could add more deaths to the estimated two million who already have starved.

To survive the months ahead, millions of famished North Koreans will eat wild plants, tree bark, and noodles and cakes made of indigestible grasses and cornstalks.

Watch the documentary "Children of the Secret State" which was aired on the Discovery Channel if you want to see human suffering at its best.
My question is, where is China in all of this? They clearly participated in the Korean war, so the DPRK is their beyotch but when it comes to the millions who face starvation, they can't be found. What a crock. The Chinese do not seem to want to participate in anything global except war, IMO.

I personally will not respect China as a major world power until THEY step in and take care of Kim. They were the ones who set the place up with his cultish-father and they bear the responsibility for all those people who are dying now from lack of food.

[edit on 13-3-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
i don't think nuking North Korea is the awnser either, but neither do I think that we should stop these exercises and in doing so give even more power to North Korea. If we keep giving in to Kim's demands he won't stop until he unifies the south with the north, among other stupid things he wants. The regime of Kim is a threat to the world, but the people of North Korea are not.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Kim is like a child...with nuclear capabilities, so a very dangerous one as well.

Continue to do excersizes and isolate the bastard, that will piss him off and might get him to come to us instead of the other way around. We gotta use reverse psychology, as we have tried dealing with him like an Adult lets treat him like a child and give him a "timeout" to think about what he's done/doing. Nuking is NEVER the answer. Starve him out and maybe as Fred said a coup could happen.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
duh me dumb i dont like NK i want bomb them duck!

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Insead of seriously eye-balling Taiwan, perhaps China should be eye-balling North Korea. That may at least keep lose-nucs under some kind of control and put Kim into the childrens toy room.

Is North Korea the threat or is it their goods that could end up detinated locally without knowledge of where it (the nuc) originated - hence how and where to retaliate?

Dallas

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   
There is some 'thought' that the U.S. is doing now what it did in 1949. By publicly decreasing its pressence in South Korea (SK) it is baiting the hook for an invasion. Some believe the U.S. (not Truman) antagonized the north by holding exercises and small raids into the north prior to the war. This occurred as U.S. troops were withdrawn.

An additional fear (at that time) on the part of North Korea (NK) and China was that Japan would occupy SK. While this is laughable today, at that time Japan was still perceived as the warlike nation they had proved to be for many decades. From 1904 until1945 Japan was the preeminent military power in the area. Having defeated China (1898) Russia , occupied Korea and vast areas of China for 40 years Japan was still considered the enemy of fear.

Russia had finally developed 'the bomb' and America wasn't the big dog anymore.

There was a "strange" series of exchanges
between the Soviet ambassador in Pyongyang and Moscow immediately prior to the commencement of hostilities by the North Korean army against the South in June 1950. On 20 June 1950, T.F. Shtykov informed Moscow that at 2000 hours Moscow time the DPRK had intercepted orders saying that the South would commence hostilities against the North at 2300 hours. On 21 June, Kim Il Sung informed Stalin via the Soviet embassy that the South Koreans had been given the news about a prospective offensive by the KPA. In this communiqui he also noted that he would begin combat operations precisely on the 25th. And this is what did take place.
IF WE are to be objective in our analysis until the end, then we must bring up the participation by the Chinese volunteers and the Soviet aviation units in the war, along with how a tremendous amount of material support from the USSR played a decisive role in North Korea, which, after the adventurism of Kim Il Sung, let the DPRK remain as an independent government. Right after the naval landing of American troops at the port of Inchon in September 1950, the Korean Peoples' Army was practically wiped out, and by October 1950 the joint American-South Korean forces had advanced to the Chinese border.
The question which arises is, after I.V. Stalin was so sharply opposed to the ideas of Kim Il Sung in his quest to use military means to reunite Korea, why did he "flip-flop"? The answer to this question, naturally, can be found in the Stalinist thesis of the "changing international situation." This was signified, as can be seen, by the victory in the Chinese revolution. Stalin felt that the USA, "removing themselves from the ultimate fate" of Chiang Kaishek in the inter-Chinese conflict, would not therefore participate in a Korean conflict. And there was one other not insignificant factor -- the Soviet Union had just created its first nuclear bomb, which literally broke the American monopoly on nuclear power, and thus gave him the chance to play the "nuclear card" against opposing the Soviet Union. And that, as it turned out, was the final diplomatic miscalculation.

Russia and China were friends. NK looked to both for support. All three feared Japan and had no love for the U.S.

Many things have changed over the last 50 years but one has remained- NK and SK still occupy the same peninsula. Both still have a fear type relationship with Japan and both still recognize China as being the powerful. For hundreds of years Korea was subject to either China or Japan along the lines of a client state.

When considering earlier defeats by the Japanese, the Chinese and koreans were ever mindful that Russia had become a powerful nation:

The Red Army's surprise assault began on 20 August 1939, with a thrust across the border into western Manchukuo. Zhukov's blitzkreig combination of armour, artillery, air support, and infantry, broke new ground. A Red Army lightning assault pre-dated the German blitzkreig into Poland by thirty-three days. Captain D.W. Phillis' description of the attack properly identifies the ingredients of a momentous, but largely forgotten, battle:

He launched concentrated air, artillery and armour assaults along the enemy's whole front with the main armoured thrust going to the flank. As a result he was able to encircle the whole army, and settle down to a battle of annihilation, grinding the enemy by continuous assault.

At the battle of Khalkin-Gol (sometimes called the Battle of the River Halka, or by the Japanese the Nomonhan incident), Zhukov's force wiped out the Japanese 23rd Division, killing 18,000 Japanese troops. The Red Army and its Mongolian ally then demonstrated its absolute command of the battle by penetrating thirty kilometres further and stopping at the Manchurian frontier.

As today- Russia and China along with Japan were more involved in the Korean peninsula than most westerners realize.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Chinese involvement in the Korean pennisula goes way back....

Before the Qing dynasty (Pre-1600), the Ming dynasty helped to defend Korea against the Japanese. The powerplays involved in the Korean pennisula has barely changed in 500 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join