It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets take a moment to appreciate ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Its definitely come along way, especially when it comes to politics when the site was mainly about Aliens, Conspiracies(Politics!?!?), an Religion mixed in with a bunch science of debates. I'm not one of the older members, but I do remember coming across ATS a few times long before I made an account.

It is love an hate thing for me, but then again high expectations lead to bitter disappointments. Still, not many places on the web like it tho, even though it can be poisonous.
edit on 5-5-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

ATS used to be fun. Now it's mean spirited and mostly mud pit. There's also a negative side!

But it still remains the primary source for high strange concept miners, writers, media geeks and other bluestocking mooks.

Well no one is forcing you to be in the mud pit, and the same basic rules still apply even in that forum, if you're disrespectful or overly aggressive then your posts will be removed. I don't really view it as people being mean to each other, I view it more as unrestrained debating on highly contentions political issues which deserve to be rigorously debated. Sure some people can be a bit mean and I understand why people are getting tired of politics, but I think a lot of great debates have occurred in that forum and I actually tend to enjoy participating in that forum. Most of the interesting conspiracy topics have already been squeezed dry by ATS members, so it's only natural that we're seeing more political topics to fill that gap, and I think it's a good thing that a lot of people are diving deeper into politics because it helps us understand our true political positions.
edit on 6/5/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Wonderful thread! Thanks ATS

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

"We don't play those sorts of games on ATS, as long as you're respectful then ATS allows all sides of an argument."

"..........but it's their right as a private company to make those decisions".

I would hold that those two separate quotes of yours, are in conflict.

As for the above top secret meme, anything really top secret placed here, in text or visual, is liable to be removed.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Chinese routers...just to throw out a good topic of interesting discussion that counters that statement. I’ll give you time to read up on it before a Paul Harvey impersonation...

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Chinese routers...just to throw out a good topic of interesting discussion that counters that statement. I’ll give you time to read up on it before a Paul Harvey impersonation...

Don't know much about Chinese routers, animal or mineral conceived, and I consider anything digital as vulnerable, from wherever it comes, and that vulnerability means it can be multi-functionable, from propaganda...be it from any source, not least China, and manipulation, from any source.
I do know though that ATS, (which I do like, mainly for those earnest contributors) does, have elements who would conceal something posted, either pictorial, or in text that has a basis in 'fact', if it suited that entity. That's all I'll say on that particular subject.

I never heard of Paul Harvey as far as I recall, but I did look him up, and QI.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

The Chinese were putting backdoors into routers that were sold to corporations and the government in order to conduct corporate espionage and regular espionage. The story broke here on ATS. The FBI had some long talks with the owners

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I don't really view it as people being mean to each other, I view it more as unrestrained debating on highly contentions political issues which deserve to be rigorously debated. Sure some people can be a bit mean and I understand why people are getting tired of politics,

I was designated a "people like you" years ago with more personal attacks than you can imagine. A mod advised me to grow a thicker skin. I did, and can enjoy the mudpit at times, even though it certainly doesn't even resemble the ATS of the past now that it's predominately right wing politics. Members used to be banned from chat for behavior and language that is now commonplace in the mudpit. Perhaps it's a good thing as I spend more time at the piano, my 6 string or writing.

It's a private site and the 3 amigos can run it the best way they see fit; all things considered, they do a great job!
edit on 6-5-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

The Chinese were putting backdoors into routers that were sold to corporations and the government in order to conduct corporate espionage and regular espionage. The story broke here on ATS. The FBI had some long talks with the owners

Something like this,
www.theguardian.com...

It wasn't a secret really.

posted on May, 6 2020 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Way before that. Might have been around 2006 give or take

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

I would hold that those two separate quotes of yours, are in conflict.

I don't see any conflict, a private company is capable of allowing free speech and I believe ATS achieves that for the most part. I don't see any other option that would enable a greater amount of free speech.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Im not celebrating ATS until a chat is brought back. Even a crappy one. Dammit.

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 02:27 AM
link   
ATS has become far too US centric and many of its members seem obsessed with left/right pro/anti Trump matters.
Some members seem intent on bringing either/or both into absolutely every single thread regardless of their relevance.

But - and it is a massive BUT - ATS is still by far the best site of its type with a great membership.
Sure, some of them get on my nerves some times - just as I'm absolutely certain I both annoy and frustrate others - but that's understandable given the nature of the site.

The content has changed dramtically since I joined and I miss a lot of the members who produced some of the best threads.

I guess thats a challenge to current active members to come up with quality new threads.

I think the current Mods and Admins have a much harder job than their predecessors what with the Mud Pit to manage and the apparent almost abandonment of the site by The Three Amigos.
But I've got to say they are particulary conspiquous by their absence in certain areas.....under funded and over worked?

I sincerely hope ATS continues; it has become an important part of my life and has an important role to play in the world especially as we come out of this current pandemic. We don't know how the world is going to change and I personally think its important that we have the opportunity to continue swapping news and opinions.....I'd just like more of the old conspiracy/alien/UFO etc themed threads instead of the mountain of US themed political threads.

I've 'met' some great people here on ATS - one or two who I came to consider friends in 'real' life but who alas are no longer with us and who I miss enormously - who I have a lot of respect for.
There's the characters, the cranks and the one's who make me laugh.
There are those who are really thought provoking and those who are comforting and offer solace in troubled times.

I'm lucky that I have a widespread and broad spectrum of friends and associates out there in 'the world'.
Some are what can best be described as 'colourful' by most and live on the fringes but most are just regular people with regular lives and regular interests.

But here on ATS almost everyone has something to offer other than the boring mundaness of so many in 'real' life.

I like ATS, a lot, and I'd miss it incredibly if it was no longer here.
edit on 7/5/20 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
ATS has become far too US centric and many of its members seem obsessed with left/right pro/anti Trump matters.
Some members seem intent on bringing either/or both into absolutely every single thread regardless of their relevance.

But - and it is a massive BUT - ATS is still by far the best site of its type with a great membership.
Sure, some of them get on my nerves some times - just as I'm absolutely certain I both annoy and frustrate others - but that's understandable given the nature of the site.

The content has changed dramtically since I joined and I miss a lot of the members who produced some of the best threads.

I guess thats a challenge to current active members to come up with quality new threads.

I think the current Mods and Admins have a much harder job than their predecessors what with the Mud Pit to manage and the apparent almost abandonment of the site by The Three Amigos.
But I've got to say they are particulary conspiquous by their absence in certain areas.....under funded and over worked?

I sincerely hope ATS continues; it has become an important part of my life and has an important role to play in the world especially as we come out of this current pandemic. We don't know how the world is going to change and I personally think its important that we have the opportunity to continue swapping news and opinions.....I'd just like more of the old conspiracy/alien/UFO etc themed threads instead of the mountain of US themed political threads.

I've 'met' some great people here on ATS - one or two who I came to consider friends in 'real' life but who alas are no longer with us and who I miss enormously - who I have a lot of respect for.
There's the characters, the cranks and the one's who make me laugh.
There are those who are really thought provoking and those who are comforting and offer solace in troubled times.

I'm lucky that I have a widespread and broad spectrum of friends and associates out there in 'the world'.
Some are what can best be described as 'colourful' by most and live on the fringes but most are just regular people with regular lives and regular interests.

But here on ATS almost everyone has something to offer other than the boring mundaness of so many in 'real' life.

I like ATS, a lot, and I'd miss it incredibly if it was no longer here.

Best articulation I have seen for some time, and I know it's real, because it is about a love of people.

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
accidentally posted
edit on 27/6/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
One thing I've noticed has become more prevalent since I first joined in 2006 is the short attention span. Almost any post longer than a few lines gets very little attention. People no longer seem to research or even look at sources for the most part and many I've noticed only comment on the damn title!! Strange times. I guess in the age of instant information reading is becoming obsolete

Really, you want Strange times? I can take you to a place that will change the way your look at reality for the rest of your life.

Interested?
edit on 27-6-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join