It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If people need to grow food to survive many are doomed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Back in the states I lived on a golf course. I married an Asian girl and took her to the states where I taught her to play golf. We played many courses and traveled all over the states where she was always complementary of the well manicured lawns and communities however she was always amazed that the greenery was for decoration and not to eat. If we would have stayed in the states she would have dug up the flower bed and planted stuff to eat.. smart girl IMO.

Most of our land (hers actually) is for rice.... other people do the work for a percentage of the harvest. That land is 1/2 mile away and does also grow some vegetables. At our house we are sat on a few acres but the jungle and forest has many things to eat to include mangoes, peppers, mushrooms (after a rain) Bananas and other things for spices. Neighbors provide the eggs and other meats, if not, a market is only 15 minutes away by car and they have every processed or packaged food you can think of .

I planted some fruit trees but the local plants kicked them out ! Bottom line is in my part of the world unless an ice age comes or no rain I can not see us ever starving. Big lake full of fish 5 K away.. I do not like fish usually but if hungry I can eat anything.

It is my understanding that a meat shortage is beginning in the states along with the normal price increases any shortage brings. I hope things get back to a more normal before to much longer as people without money, without a job, without food, are without hope. When people have lost everything they figure they have nothing left to lose and can become "Not Nice!"
edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Your place sounds like what my end goal will be.
Lots of work but well worth it, and you know exactly what it is made of

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes honestly this is a bitter bitter thing . The schools and academic curriculums have taken so much from everybody , made them to rely on the system so much so that shopworkers are vital , like supermarkets , and people have no medical knowledge of their own really either.
Academic means just that , ' not of practical relevance / of theoretical interest only '
And they sit there 18 years for that , come back too tired to learn from parents or do much actual work if any .
And then that strawberry story

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The thing that really bugs me is that children LOVE getting dirty and watching the seeds they planted grow.

The squeals of joy as the first seedlings pop up is fantastic and then when they actually get to eat something they planted the look of satisfaction and pleasure is a joy to behold.

All you can do is 'plant the seed' (pun intended) when they are young

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TGunner
a reply to: rickymouse

Nice, I'm about to plant some potatoes myself.

I am also about to Guerrila Garden a whack of Sweet Potatoe shoots all about my local City. I Johnny Appleseed edible plants all over my City ever year.This year I have an LB of Rosehip seeds....from literally hundreds of different plants....that I am broadcasting out this season.... diversity is the spice of life.
edit on 5-5-2020 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
It is my understanding that a meat shortage is beginning in the states along with the normal price increases any shortage brings. I hope things get back to a more normal before to much longer as people without money, without a job, without food, are without hope. When people have lost everything they figure they have nothing left to lose and can become "Not Nice!"

There is no meat shortage in the states... if the meat shelves are empty, it's because the MSM caused people to panic buy.

I have like six gardens, for predators I use an owl with a swivel head... and in another a scarecrow. But they will not work if not moved around every now and then. Insects are the worse, I have to use diatomaceous earth on everything.

-- oh yeah... chicken wire keeps the rabbits out pretty good, and coons too... I cut the top of the chicken wire to where to the top of the fence is pointy like needles to keep coons out. : )

edit on 5-5-2020 by CraftyArrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Same reason people spray round up all over their lawn. People are out of touch with nature and ignorant of harmful practices.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 10:38 AM
link   

OMG, those are some HUGE tomatoes.

Wow.

I pretty much taught myself to garden. It wasn't hard, I just had to think like a plant.

My first garden as a kid was abandoned because of moving/divorce. Years later, I hand dug a small 1-200 square foot plot and grew a few things. A couple of years later turned it into a 3000 square foot plot and it went crazy. I'll see if I can find some pics.
edit on 5-5-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

The thing that really bugs me is that children LOVE getting dirty and watching the seeds they planted grow.

The squeals of joy as the first seedlings pop up is fantastic and then when they actually get to eat something they planted the look of satisfaction and pleasure is a joy to behold.

Hell, I'm grown and I'm still thrilled to hell watching them come up. Water it daily and every morning walk up and see if the earth is starting to crack open and little sprouts coming up.

Right now I have lima beans, zipperpeas, and green beans coming up. About to sow a second planting of the beans, and plant some zucchini and cucumbers.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
JAGstorm there could be a parallel thread about chickens in the USA.

I've been chickening for years. My current flock are all 4 year olds--this is when they start to really slow down and not lay as many eggs. Additionally, the Alpha has developed a nasty habit of spilling feed out of the feeders onto the ground, just to be a bitch.

Normally in March I'd have a day where the axe just fell. I got ready for that around the 1st of March, and I could tell this Rona thing was going to heat up. I went out to harvest the whole crop of old hens, and low and behold every one of them laid that morning. So I told them they had until the first of May to get back to work and solidly produce.

I looked online at ordering some chicks the week before lockdown--- HOLY CRAP.
Every hatchery online was SOLD OUT of all avians. No chickens. ducks. ostriches, whatever. Like nation-wide, apparently

There was a run on the hardware store before it closed, everyone trying to build a coop out of doghouses or whatever.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

JAGstorm there could be a parallel thread about chickens in the USA.

A friend started a hobby farm a few years back.
First year nearly 50 dead chickens due to neglect.

She isn't hobby farming anymore

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   
We live in the country and have a pretty good sized garden.

It is a lot of work but we enjoy what we grow.

However, most people in cities don't have a clue how to grow food.

Also, if it were a survival situation, our garden would have to be a lot bigger. Right now, it provides us with some quality produce and it's fun. But if we needed it to survive, we'd need a lot more.

If you go back a couple of hundred years, almost all the people were farmers All they did was survive. They had very little left over. It is not an easy life

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Unless we have a several years long nuclear winter...ash, no sun after some Holocaust...for years after, nothing grows..

But we'll have ways still...

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
WoW!!! That looks fantastic!! Beautiful and bountiful. Makes it all the more sickening.
Dang it.. that's terrible about the blueberry plant too. Sounds like everything was just perfect for it. I'm so sorry that happened.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I'll just go the Alex Jones route, I got some rub that makes any piece of meat delicious.

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 03:08 AM
link   

post removed by poster.

Too drinky

edit on 10-5-2020 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join