It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memories of First Albums and Songs...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Hi there

Sounds like a nice evening! I like this topic, and music has always been a big part of my life. When I was really little, it was opera, then I got ahold of my dad's records (I remember Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman especially) when I was about 9 and loved learning how to set that needle down carefully in front of the song I wanted to hear.
One of the first tapes I bought was Arrested Development, lol.
Some albums I bought later and listened to over and over again in HS:
Almost all of Pink Floyd. I remember finding their weird early stuff too in a record store in Georgetown, Wash DC. My friends and I would take the Metro, walk over the bridge, and go to record stores or a Doc Martin store nearby for Manic Panic hair dye, lol.
Alice In Chains Jar of Flies and Dirt
Queensryche Promised Land
The Cure Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me got me through my first and worst heartbreak.
Also Outkast ATLiens was maybe the coolest thing I ever heard blaring out of my friend's speakers. I had to get that album right away.
Nirvana Unplugged.

Nas Illmatic took me and my friends on a road trip from Durango, CO, to Disneyland and LA.
Tom Petty, too..
And plenty more
Lots of my life has a soundtrack so to speak, lol. I loved the music my friends and I brought to Europe and also what people we met shared with us.
I think I should stop lol.
Enjoy your night, my friend!!

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
My parents bought my sister and I the following album since we watched the show back in 1966:

The 1st album I actually bought myself was this classic from 1974. I think I still have the original copy.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Could go through a list but won’t
First album I got was Village people, it was a gift.
They were big, what can I say.
Never liked disco but they were a catchy sound for a kid

Anyway, got given Billy Joel’s Songs in the Attic, probably the first album I played where I was impressed by every song on the list

For some reason, enjoyed the Glam rock stuff more than the Eighties music of my time. Sweet, Skyhooks, trex etc.
Guessing the disco that was playing when I was listening to music wasn’t that appealing, put me off music for some time

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Wish i did, your 5 up on me.

This was my favorite song when I was a kid.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

So much to talk about....

(in no order)

Your mention of The Cure reminds me of Disintegration, and how that also got me through a horrible break up with a green eyed devil who used me to get away from her ex. I love that album, and it kept me alive. I first bought it on CD while working at a pizza joint with her in HS, and later bought it on vinyl. While Abbey Road was an earlier night time vinyl obsession in my youth, Disintegration became another in my teens, specifically Side B: Prayers for Rain. That became, and sometimes still is, the medication for a sore heart, since it's so bleak. I would lay in bed and listen to that side of the album over and over.

"You shatter me your grip on me a hold on me
So dull it kills
You stifle me
Infectious sense of
Hopelessness and prayers for rain
I suffocate
I breathe in dirt
And nowhere shines but desolate
And drab the hours all spent on killing time
Again all waiting for the rain"

Kiss me Kiss me Kiss me, well, that has memories of '___'....And her favorite song was also on that album.

Funny anecdote: at the time I was into Alice Cooper because of the Trash album, right. So, when I went into the store (it may have been to buy the Nevermind album) I saw a display for a new album: Alice in Chains. My dumbass thought it was Alice Cooper, in chains. Nope. lol

Years later....Love me some Alice in Chains. Even since Layne has passed. Black/Blue is awesome.

Lots of my life has a soundtrack so to speak, lol.

Saaaaaame.

Because I could go on, about listening to NOFX's Punk in Drublic in the summer ridding around with this dude, and later at night we were working on a school project, going to Target late at night to get spray glue (for the project but also *ahem*)...

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I am Iron Man.... one of the best albums IMHO. Or am I just paranoid?

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

There is a used record store near me my friend owns . He has a couple of couches and a few chairs in the middle of the store . There is a crew of regulars that hang out , flip through the stacks of albums , listen to music shoot the sh*t and have a drink or two from our secret stash in the back room .

Every time new people comes in around our age or a little older they almost ALWAYS request my buddy to spin either Boston or Bad Company . We have heard them so many times I have taken to hiding them in the easy listening section . Especially Boston !
edit on 4-5-2020 by whenandwhere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: PhilbertDezineck

HA!

That's one of the albums he had. I solely listened to Iron Man. Only later, when I actually listened to the album did I realize how awesome it is: War pigs/luke's wall, planet caravan, rat salad, electric funeral..

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: whenandwhere

There is a used record store near me my friend owns . He has a couple of couches and a few chairs in the middle of the store . There is a crew of regulars that hang out , flip through the stacks of albums , listen to music shoot the sh*t and have a drink or two from our secret stash in the back room .

Every time new people comes in around our age or a little older they almost ALWAYS request my buddy to spin either Boston or Bad Company . We have heard them so many times I have taken to hiding them in the easy listening section . Especially Boston !

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Exactly.

You should be in the store when my buddy puts on experimental fusion jazz . You can hear me scream NOOOOO five or more city blocks away .

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Faries wear boots you got to believe me. Son smokin and tripin is all that you doing.

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Faries wear boots you got to believe me. Son smokin and tripin is all that you doing.

I approve. lol

posted on May, 4 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Dude. That's a damn good compilation. That you still have it?

Stellar. I want.

posted on May, 5 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Meet the Beatles...but I had others..ie: Four Freshman, Peter, Paul, Mary...the King Family Singers

posted on May, 7 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Meet the Beatles

I think I have that, that I got from my dad, still held together with tape...

Peter, Paul, Mary.

He talked about them, too, but I don't think he had any records.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join